Rabid forum debate adversaries CAN be friends!

KBI

I have always believed that the folks who occasionally debate each other passionately (and sometimes heatedly) in these forums (me, for example) are nevertheless generally likely to make for pleasant caching companions in real life. We may sometimes disagree over the details, but ultimately we’re all united in our passion for this hobby, and I think most of us here who argue, bicker, and get threads shut down are actually quite likely to become good friends face to face, given the opportunity. A few days ago I finally proved this to myself when I had the privilege – and pleasure – of meeting Too Tall John in person.

TTJ and I have crossed swords in these forums numerous times over many issues. He and I have expressed strong – and usually opposing – opinions. Like most forum debaters, however, he and I have also intuitively recognized that our noisy and sometimes blunt objections were only against each other’s ideas, not against each other. We always knew better than to take any of it personally. A while back he even generously offered to drive me around for some caching next time my job brought me to his vicinity. That opportunity finally happened this week, and I took him up on his hospitable offer.

My work schedule took me to an overnight layover in Manchester, NH. Too Tall met me in the coffee shop of my hotel the next morning where we shook hands, laughed about the forums for a while over breakfast, and then headed out with a list of recommended caches to conquer. We had a great time over the next few hours with the usual non-solo type of caching fun: telling stories, trading tips, and helping each other locate the target swag-boxes. We went six-for-six ... no DNFs!

I am very proud of this photo: Too Tall John’s woodcut stamp on the same logbook page with my 'CaptRussell' logo-doodle thingy.

36d4f654-971d-482b-bc73-d908e8451f15.jpg

(I use my CaptRussell account when caching at work during overnight stays, and my KBI account everywhere else.) The associated cache was on a high rock cliff with an awesome view of Lake Massabesic. It occurred to me, while standing there with my new caching buddy (against whom I have regularly argued so vehemently) and looking at that log page, that that very high place really was kind of a 'summit.'

As he dropped me back at the hotel we both agreed it went by too fast, and that we should do it again sometime.

I don't mean to imply that anything has changed. I generally stand by the statements, opinions and principles I have posted over the years, and I will certainly continue to defend them in the future anytime I am convinced of my beliefs. I will also, however, continue to listen openmindedly to anything anyone else has to say, as well as stand by my belief that all cachers can (and should naturally expect to be) friends outside of these sometimes-cranky forums.

I don’t make it to very many event caches – none beyond Georgia so far – and most of the folks I debate here are in far flung places anyway, so I was really looking forward to finally meeting 'someone from the forums' ... and I was not disappointed! Sorry if any of this sounds mushy, but I just thought it was remarkable – if unsurprising – that two sometimes-adversarial forum debate foes should prove to be so easily able to enjoy a pleasant cache outing together.

It seemed worth reporting. :ph34r:

The post that started it all:

In general terms, I sometime wish we could have a ForumWoodstock where you would all have to meet each other personally, shake hands or hug (as appropriate, I'm a hugger when it comes to female geo-pals) and actually speak to each other face to face. I think some of the "keyboard based strongman" tactics would be backed down several notches. nod.gif
I know I've said it to KBI, and extends to just about anyone I've encountered in the forums:

If he's ever flying into MHT, let me know. I'd love to go caching with him. Heck, I'd buy the first round afterwards.

As long as he wasn't flying right back out... :blink:

Oh... wait....

KBI said he's bringing his "airfare" for the first round...

I'm buying the 2nd one.

Turns out due to scheduling, the brews involved were coffee, but it included bacon and eggs!

It was a memorable morning of caching. It was my first trip to Manchester to go caching, I live a bit away, so there were plenty of good caches that neither of us had found.

We even got into a small discussion about cache sizes. Guess what? We agreed! (Two consecutive caches were rated small and regular size, but were actually the same size container. Another container, rated a small, wouldn't even hold a wooden nickel - Definitely a micro!) The biggest thing I think we agreed about is the fact that we had fun.

Next time you're in a heated debate here in the forums, remember this:

The person you are arguing with so vehemently? They are being so passionate about their view for the same reason you are. They love geocaching!

It was a great time, I hope we can do it again!

So is he?

...Too Tall?

That's, um, 'debateable.'

:blink:

Ok, here's a list of things I am "Too Tall" for:
  • Compact cars
  • Most doors
  • Airplanes: Can't sit, can't stand, and they won't let me lie in the isle. Something about the captain liking to have the exit lanes clear. Bloody pilot! What do they know anyways?!? :blink:
  • Clothes that aren't "Tall Mens' Size" (shorts are generally ok, but even t-shirts are a problem)
  • Some that are
  • Most of the roller coasters at Six Flags
  • Any bed smaller than a queen (I can sleep diagonally in a double, but my wife complains that I'm crowding her)
  • My wife
  • Most seats (think lumbar support that just doesn't reach and actually is in a really uncomfortable spot)
  • Group Pictures (Why do I ALWAYS have to stand in the back row?!!?)

It does come in handy sometimes, here's the (much shorter) list:

• Can reach things up high (comes in handy sometimes when caching!)
  • Can be spotted in a crowd (I can list that as a disadvantage, too)
  • Can spot others in a crowd more easily
  • Geocachers know me as soon as they see me: "You must be Too Tall John!"

There, wanna debate that? :blink:

After He dropped You off back at Your hotel did You check to see if you still had Your wallet?

Ya have to watch out for us Yankees. :blink:

Why would he need to check? I made him turn it over to me before I'd let him out of the car! :blink:

Good luck trying to spend any of it up there.

212262869_9bccf4609e.jpg

I have always believed that the folks who occasionally debate each other passionately (and sometimes heatedly) in these forums (me, for example) are nevertheless generally likely to make for pleasant caching companions in real life. We may sometimes disagree over the details, but ultimately we’re all united in our passion for this hobby, and I think most of us here who argue, bicker, and get threads shut down are actually quite likely to become good friends face to face, given the opportunity.

Yep. That has been my experience. I haven't met a single person in my negative column that remained there when I met them in person. :blink:

Very few folks match their online personalities as I/we perceive them.

Heck, I've met THOUSANDS of cachers and the most common comment I get is that I seem NORMAL in person. :blink::blink:

Yea, I still think you both are gurks in these forums, but would love to spend a day on the trails with either of you. :blink:

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

Heh... Being unsure what a gurk was, I Wiki'ed it:
Gurk (pre-Roman for "the gurgling one") may mean:
  • A river in Carinthia, Austria: Gurk River
  • A river in Carniola, Slovenia: Krka (Slovenia)
  • A market town in the District of Sankt Veit an der Glan, Carinthia: Gurk (town)
  • A borough of the municipality of Gnesau in the District of Feldkirchen, Carinthia
  • A Catholic diocese: Diocese of Gurk-Klagenfurt
  • People with the name Gurk:
    • Eduard Gurk (1801-1841), Austrian painter
    • Franz Gurk (1898-1984), German politician
    • Hemma of Gurk (980-1045), saint and benefactress
    • Paul Gurk (1880-1953), German writer and painter

I'd like to think I'm being associated with the saint, but I suspect it's closer to "the gurgling one." :wub:

:blink:

Back to the topic: If anyone here is passing through NH and wants to meet up for some caching, let me know. If I can get the time off, I'd love to go.

Heck, I've met THOUSANDS of cachers and the most common comment I get is that I seem NORMAL in person. :o:blink:
Funny, with people that have gotten to know me over time I get much of the opposite response: "You seemed so NORMAL when I met you! What happened?" :o

I'm glad your experience was a good one. I met Snoogans a few months ago and this was the result..

page2-1006-full.jpg

I met Snoogans last month...that doesn't look a thing like him.

That was me. You should have seen him.

Yep that was just one handed. Imagine if I had both hands free.

23e2ba6b-5ee7-49e4-b788-3c5755ca1919.jpg

It seemed worth reporting. :anibad:

Very well. As a good moderator, I reported your post. I've asked that you both be banned for a month for being so nice to each other. Such behavior in the forums will not be tolerated.

Let that be a lesson to ya'.

:rolleyes:

In that case:

Whenever you and I finally get around to caching together (and I mean the real caches, the kind with valuable stuff like Barbie shoes and floppy disks and expired McRib coupons, not tires and waterlogged diapers like before), then maybe we should just keep our little rendezvous a secret. :huh::ph34r: