Tent help? How to choose the right one?

Hello everyone - I am going to the Lets go camping event next weekend and to the Piratemania event too, however, I do not have a tent and need to get one asap.

The thing is I have only ever bought a 2 person tent and I need a 6 person at least probably better to go for a bit larger as 2 more little nippers (grandchildren not mine!!!) are on the way.

Any suggestions of tents would be gratefully received and a note on ease of putting up/following instructions as it is just me and 3 or 4 under 11's to get it together.....

Cheers in advance

Laughalot :ph34r:

The thing is I have only ever bought a 2 person tent and I need a 6 person at least probably better to go for a bit larger as 2 more little nippers (grandchildren not mine!!!) are on the way.

Any suggestions of tents would be gratefully received and a note on ease of putting up/following instructions as it is just me and 3 or 4 under 11's to get it together.....

You could do a lot worse than getting a Vango. Quality tents which in my experience are reasonably straight forward to pitch. Not necessarily the cheapest, but not that bad either.

My Explorer Scouts (14-18yo) have an 8 man Vango (forget the exact name), which is similar to this one. It takes 3 of them about 1/2hr to pitch and is really huge - we had 13 sleeping in it last summer when another tent got flooded out :ph34r:

We did find it cheaper (about 1/2 price) however, in an end of season sale. We also have a number of other Vangos and have never had any problems - certainly when my own tents need replacing I'll be buying from them.

HTH.

Firstly there is no need to panic for next weekend as we have an 8 man Outwell that you are welcolme to borrow.

As for what tent to buy there are a number of factors to consider 1) budget 2) size 3) ease of pitching/putting away 4) weight 5) how often and what time of year it is to be used. I'm sure that this list is not exhausted but is a starting point.

As for recommendations it is difficult to advise as there are so many good makes now available and personal choice is a big thing in selection. I would avoid the real cheapies though as they are likely only likely to be good for one season, or less if you have weather like shrops a couple of years ago.

Some brands to look out for are:

Khyam - Very easy to put up and good quality but very heavy and bulky with a price to match but a very good reputation.

Wynnster - Again a well known quality brand

Outwell - Considered by many as one of the best

Vango - Great reputation with tents aimed at the budget and top end

Gelert - Tend to be at the budget end but not bad IMHO

Colman - Not sure about there tents but have a good reputation on other camping equipment.

I'm sure there are more, but as I said above I would avoid the budget brands often sold as packages with rubbish sleeping bags, seats etc.

Edited by Phillimore Clan

Many thanks for the advise - I was looking at Vango tents - however, as there is a very kind offer (Thanks Phillimore Clan) I would love to borrow on this occassion and see how I get on with the Outwell.

Phew feel much better knowing I do not have to panic for the coming weekend - just been and got a few bits and that was an adventure in itself - buying for more than myself now seems quite daunting (and fun).

Thank goodness cachers a fab fun and helpful people - bring on next weekend :ph34r:

Laughalot x

We have just upgraded to an Outwell Nevada M from this tent.. Argos cat no 340/8551 which has only been used a couple of times..

We are hoping to be at Piratemania as well as Mega Camping and can bring it along for anybody to have a look or try..

The tent is like new and will be a good starter for a family of 4.. Extra couple of ground sheets thrown in free. Only looking for £25 or so..

I agree that Vango tents are excellent and easy to put up. I have had mine for about five years and am very pleased with it. It has two porches and is all completely lined inside so no extra ground sheets needed

From experience I can vouch for RAGE tents, which are available on ebay at very reasonable prices. My Lofoten has two double bedrooms and another larger bedroom,with plenty of space left inside for chairs etc.You can easily stand up inside it and its very easy to pitch although quite high. (I am sure someone on the campsite will help you!!) It withstood Shrops 2006 :ph34r: with just slight damage to one pole (easily rectified with some gaffa tape) and also the Snowdonia deluge in 2007. On both ocasions the tent was flattened during the gale but popped back up when it died down. This cost me £82 including P&P (New) and I did have to bid for it, but there are always several on offer and you can get them cheaper. I have seen a few other versions of RAGE tents at events and they seem to be very popular.

As has been mentioned already, steer well clear of "bargain deals" and stick to a brand which is well known. Having said that, my Pro Action sleeping bag from Argos is cooshty!

Hope to see you at Piratemania - I will give you a hand if you need it. ;)

Long time since I had a big tent, but from what everyone else says, try and get one with a groundsheet TOTALLY BUILT IN... that way, if we have torrential rain like last year, you'll stay nice and dry with no rain seeping in under the sides etc.

Skippy and Pingu had a nice one at the Cheshire event, think that was an outwell and I know it was in the region of £250, but then again, if you join us band of merry campers, you'll soon get your money's worth!!

Fantastic advice about the groundsheet, thanks for that and also for all the other info - lots to be thinking about and I am sure I will get to see many different ones when with you all and I am sure that will help too.

Thanks also for the offers of help, all much appreciated.

Laughalot :blink:

Don't get something too big, it'll just take longer to put up/down, and it'll be colder, too. Similarly, loads of pods can add time. A decent amount of storage space, and just enough room to stand up, and that's all you need. If you are going to mainly do weekend events with it you want something quick and easy... of course if you are going for a week away then its different. But if you go OTT with a massive tent it becomes a nuisance - and you always fill the available space, so you will end up bringing loads of stuff you really don't need. Speaking from experience here :laughing:

I'd go for the GELERT CADIZ, it's cheap enough and you get a bit of privacy cos the bedrooms are at either end. It's a quick tent to set up, great value and well made.

http://www.worldoftents.co.uk/gelert-cadiz-7-tent-p-208.html

2 tips.

Have a look at decathalon. They have those 5 sec pop-up ones, and some are quite large. Not sure what the largest size is. tEHy are on view at their stores.

Secondly try the ukcampsute forum. it has loads of tenters.

ekso

:laughing:

2 tips.

Have a look at decathalon. They have those 5 sec pop-up ones, and some are quite large. Not sure what the largest size is. tEHy are on view at their stores.

ekso

:laughing:

I have the largest true pop up tent from decathlon, and it's tight with 2 of you in it. However....

They do do This as a living area and then you add these as the bedrooms They are all pop up and take literally minutes to get out and put away. The middle section is £79 and the bedrooms are £29.95 each, which, even if you got 4 bedrooms, still makes it cheaper than a lot of tents!!

I must admit, I love my pop up tent - double skinned and dead easy to put up and down!

Wow so many things to think about - but what lovely people to pass it on to me - I will certainly have a good chat at the event over the weekend.

As for Lianes suggestion that there will be lots to help with the erection, I am very pleased to hear it and look forward to gratefully receiving it.

PUP - I so agree re the using all available space - I have already bought far too many bits and pieces to bring.

The girls and I are getting very excited about coming on Friday for 2 nights now - such fun.

Laughalot :laughing:

Many thanks for the advise - I was looking at Vango tents - however, as there is a very kind offer (Thanks Phillimore Clan) I would love to borrow on this occassion and see how I get on with the Outwell.

Phew feel much better knowing I do not have to panic for the coming weekend - just been and got a few bits and that was an adventure in itself - buying for more than myself now seems quite daunting (and fun).

Thank goodness cachers a fab fun and helpful people - bring on next weekend :laughing:

Laughalot x

Like most things in this life, you get what you pay for. With camping equipment that counts double. Buy cheap rubbish and you'll regret it the first time it rains or the the wind rises above a gentle breeze. If you have kids with you it can be a pleasure or a nightmare.

Don't be afraid to get the shop assistant to open the 'package' on the shop floor. You don't have to put the tent up but check the stitching on the seams and the guy rope attachment points. They should be double stitched and taped. Pockets for poles should be reinforced. Look at the quoted 'specs for "waterproofness". They will probably be quoted as a 'hydrostatic head'... You don't have to know what it means other than the bigger the number, the more waterproof the material will be. An average tent will be 1500-2000 for the tent and 3000 for the groundsheet but in this case.... bigger is definitely better. Take some common sense with you. Have a look at the instructions and ask yourself.... can I do that?

I had a Vango tent that my wife and I used and it was good value. Not the best quality but it wasn't that expensive either. It was adequate for the camping that we did. Now I'm on my own I use a Colman tent. It's in a whole different league. The quality is superb, it's totally waterproof and is deigned to be stable in gale force winds. In fact, they use them at Everest base camp. Not the cheapest, by any means but like I said... you get what you pay for!!

Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you, 'cos it'll be miserable if it doesn't

2 tips.

ekso

:)

I have the largest true pop up tent from decathlon, and it's tight with 2 of you in it. However....

They do do This as a living area and then you add these as the bedrooms They are all pop up and take literally minutes to get out and put away. The middle section is £79 and the bedrooms are £29.95 each, which, even if you got 4 bedrooms, still makes it cheaper than a lot of tents!!

I must admit, I love my pop up tent - double skinned and dead easy to put up and down!

Hazel (there, see? I didn't need to call you Hazey :D:D:) )

Have you seen the 8 person decathlon one? I've got a Decathlon next to work (Paris) and they seemed really good and big. Basically they work by having a centre pop-up pod and then you attach 2 people bedrooms as needed! Or you can simply use the middle bit as a 4 man tent. Weird eh?

Decathlon are also ace in Table Tennis tables if anyone ever wanted to buy one (Until I went there, I'd never seen 40 different TT tables in the same place)

2 tips.

ekso

:)

Hazel (there, see? I didn't need to call you Hazey :D:D:) )

Have you seen the 8 person decathlon one? I've got a Decathlon next to work (Paris) and they seemed really good and big. Basically they work by having a centre pop-up pod and then you attach 2 people bedrooms as needed! Or you can simply use the middle bit as a 4 man tent. Weird eh?

Decathlon are also ace in Table Tennis tables if anyone ever wanted to buy one (Until I went there, I'd never seen 40 different TT tables in the same place)

Tossy...

If you'd clicked on my links you'd see that was EXACTLY what I was showing!!!!

Hazey (lol)

Does that mean I can sneak my small pop-up tent onto your Base as an annex like it shows in the photos? I have looked at these base things on t'interweb, so I would like to get a look at a real one in the flesh (so to speak) and see if they are any good. And of course, watch you attempt to fold yours away again... that's the clever bit! :(