Planning ahead for a road trip....

not sure if this is the correct forum to post in but just wondering how one goes about locating caches along a main route up the eastern coast. We want to do some caching along the way on the way up and on the way down. The vision is to hit caches on the east side of the route headed north and the west side headed south. We really don't want to go more than 3 miles of the main drag. I-95.

My question...is there an easy way to locate them along this route that will bring us through 5 states total? Starting in Fl and ending in northern Va around the DC area, then back down to Fl.

Another question is... has anyone traveled through these states along this route and can tell us of some must do caches?

We want them to be spaced far enough apart to incorporate them into pit stops and not loose to much travel time in the process. I know that's asking a lot. This will be a December '08 trip to celebrate the arrival of our 2nd grandchild and an early x-mas with my daughter and her husband who live up there. Due date of the baby is the 7th and trip planned for the 11th - 18th. ;)

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who can help us figure this out.

Dang...just heard the double sonic booms...the shuttle has just arrived home as I'm typing this!! :ph34r:

You could play with the "Caches Along A Route" feature. I tried that once, but as you know, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Never did get it to work. Those folks who are not dumber than a bag of hammers claim to have success with it. My compromise involves creating the route in Google Earth, then scanning the route, looking for caches that interest me. Any that catch my eye get added to my GSAK database.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

Here's one from Orange City Fl to Lusby Md:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit...5d-6382c13d4ac6

Edited by Clan Riffster

For a route, maybe Hwy 17 through GA? There are some GREAT caches in Savannah.

You could take Hwy 17 north right out of Orlando, through GA and then in SC, where Hwy 17 and I-95 run together, you could take Hwy 321 north through Columbia, SC. In Columbia, catch I-20 east for a few miles and then Hwy 1 through Raleigh, NC. From there, Hwy 1 runs next to I 95 most of the way on up through Richmond, VA and into DC.

Not sure about the cache density, but I know there are some good ones on Hwy 17 in GA, esp in Savannah, and there are some caches along Hwy 1 around the Southern Pines, NC area (that's where I am now).

If you end up going through Savannah and would like some recommendations, just let me know. From Orlando, Savannah is normally a 4hr trip, but add in Hwy and caching and it could be a great spot to spend the night and dedicate a day of caching :ph34r:

OK, we were not on your route, but we just completed a return road trip from Langston AL to Northern Ontario last week. We found wi-fi hot spots along the route at each rest stop, and used the Wal-Mart Rand McNally to look up the zip for the next leg. Using that, we did a Groundspeak search for zip code, and picked out a cache that was close to where we would be in the next four hours.

We managed to get at least one cache in each of five states during our trip.

Wi-Fi Hotspots

More Wi-Fi Hotspots

Edited to add another link.

Edited by Team Magic

You could play with the "Caches Along A Route" feature. I tried that once, but as you know, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Never did get it to work. Those folks who are not dumber than a bag of hammers claim to have success with it. My compromise involves creating the route in Google Earth, then scanning the route, looking for caches that interest me. Any that catch my eye get added to my GSAK database.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

Here's one from Orange City Fl to Lusby Md:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userrouteedit...5d-6382c13d4ac6

Like Clan said, try the "Caches Along A Route" feature. Instead of creating your own, do a keyword search for "I-95", I95, 95, and/or state name. You may have to do a PQ per state. When you see one that you will use, just click on the "create PQ" button. Name it and select they type of caches, difficulty levels, and such you wish to search for. I limited mine to .75 from interstate and still get way more than I can do. In additon I also run a pq for any areas where I think I will be stopping overnight.

There are many "public" routes out there, especially for interstate travel.

Hmm, last I checked US Interstate 95 didn't go anywhere near the canadian border. :blink:

Searching in the Caches along a Route feature should yield plenty of targets. Dump them all into a GSAK database and read the actual cache pages and logs to determine which ones are suitable for your goals.

Shameless self promotion I-95 cache here:

The True Micro Cache

It even had its own forum thread a few years back, but I can't find it right now.

Edited by wimseyguy

Oops, I forgot to mention about the questions they ask at the Canadian side.

You have not, I repeat, not been at a farm, or visited a farm, or been anywhere near a farm in the last 48 hours.

Oops, I replied with that one in the wrong thread. That will teach me to post when I'm sleepy.gif. So sorry!