Extra cache

Adium

This is wierd. I have a puzzle cache hidden in a park. The given coordinates aren't very far away from the actual cache. My cache is a 35mm canister. After several reports of findind a tupperware container I went back to the cache site to investigate.

About 2 feet, (no exageration, litterally 2 feet) below my cache, I found a second cache. I opened it up and the log book is fairly new, the first entry claims its a replacement log book dated 9/15/07. Only two entries dated before I hid the cache. 5/1/08 and 5/15/08. Everything else is people that have logged on my cache. (Planted 5/23/08)

I searched Geocaching, terracaching, and navicache. None of them have a cache here. The geonames in the first two entries aren't used on geocaching and I don't know the other two services well enough to search there.

The other thing is I placed this cache in this park cause one of the first cache's I DNF'd was here. The owner archived it so I took over. His cache was hid in 2003.

This is confusing me..., I took the cache as from what I can tell its not registered but where could it have come from? Do I need to find the owner or is this geolitter?

I ran your one puzzle cache through the waypoint database used by the cache reviewers, and there are no waypoints for other caches nearby. Of course, there could be a multi or puzzle cache final at this spot, which was originally hidden prior to when the "Additional Waypoints" feature was introduced. Not all waypoints are in the master database, for this reason.

The cache you found seems well maintained (replacement logbook), and active (finds last month). In light of that, I'm curious why you took the container.

The cache you found seems well maintained (replacement logbook), and active (finds last month). In light of that, I'm curious why you took the container.

The cache name is also called westminister park. The park in which its hid. The name in which I also named my cache. At first glance I thought someone was playing a prank and once I got home I was able to investigate a little more.

I also saw no reason to leave it as it interferes with my cache and I can't find any record of this cache anywhere. What else was I suppose to do?

The cache name is also called westminister park. The park in which its hid. The name in which I also named my cache. At first glance I thought someone was playing a prank and once I got home I was able to investigate a little more.

I also saw no reason to leave it as it interferes with my cache and I can't find any record of this cache anywhere. What else was I suppose to do?

So, in other words, you are saying that because this other cache does not seem to be listed on any other well-known geocaching website, and because it was located near yours, you have/had the right to confiscate it and remove it from service. The reality is that there exist numerous geocaches which are not listed on any of the main geocaching listing sites known in the USA, and some of them are private caches, some of them are caches owned by a nearby school, or by a Boy Scout or Girl Scout troop, and some have been emplaced as part of a contest or puzzle/riddle sponsored by a commercial advertising venture. And you know, with this list here, I have barely scratched the tip of the iceberg, because there are all sorts of other caches as well which are not necessarily listed on any of the major listing sites, but which have every right to remain in place, every bit as much right as does your cache. If I were you, meaning if I had committed the same act of geocache theft/vandalism as you have admitted having done, I would get up from my PC right this moment and go to the park and return the cache, and place at least a few dollar bills in it as swag, along with a note of apology to the hider and the players, explaining my earlier mistake and apologizing for my short-sightedness and lack of commonsense.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

So, in other words, you are saying that because this other cache does not seem to be listed on any other well-known geocaching website, and because it was located near yours, you have/had the right to confiscate it and remove it from service. The reality is that there exist numerous geocaches which are not listed on any of the main geocaching listing sites known in the USA, and some of them are private caches, some of them are caches owned by a nearby school, or by a Boy Scout or Girl Scout troop, and some have been emplaced as part of a contest or puzzle/riddle sponsored by a commercial advertising venture. And you know, with this list here, I have barely scratched the tip of the iceberg, because there are all sorts of other caches as well which are not necessarily listed on any of the major listing sites, but which have every right to remain in place, every bit as much right as does your cache. If I were you, meaning if I had committed the same act of geocache theft/vandalism as you have admitted having done, I would get up from my PC right this moment and go to the park and return the cache, and place at least a few dollar bills in it as swag, along with a note of apology to the hider and the players, explaining my earlier mistake and apologizing for my short-sightedness and lack of commonsense.

Commonsense tells me that an item left in a public park is considered abandonment. Legally you have the right to go around and collect geocaches as they are all abandoned property. I don't know where you are coming up with this theft/vandalism theory, but I think you need to expand your own short-sightedness.

Now back to the issue. I found a square lock and lock container with a notebook inside. The notebook is hold no meantions of it being a geocache, doesn't contain a stash note, or anything of the like. However from my own experience if I had this in my own possesion I would call it a geocache. Not bugs, no coins, just a book with two entries that include a date and a stamp. One person left a note stating that it was a beautiful day and a superb view.

This box, was within a couple feet from my own cache. I spent a while trying to find a good spot to find it and never found this box. From my own stand point it magically appeared. Its not registered, its not even identifiable. Its just a box. I have no one I can contact, as I will say again..., its not registered. Looks like a geocache, but it can't be cause its only a geocache once its registered.

I am curious if anyone can tell me where this box came from, cause to me it came out of nowhere. The fact that it is directly beneath (out of the entire park, with my cache being the only cache) its directly, centered exactly two feet under my cache.

I was looking for an explanation, not a flamer. If this is going to turn into a flame thread then could someone just lock this topic now.

However from my own experience if I had this in my own possesion I would call it a geocache. Not bugs, no coins, just a book with two entries that include a date and a stamp. One person left a note stating that it was a beautiful day and a superb view.

Looks like you took somebody's letterbox. It would be nice if you returned it and found another spot for your cache. He was there first.

However from my own experience if I had this in my own possesion I would call it a geocache. Not bugs, no coins, just a book with two entries that include a date and a stamp. One person left a note stating that it was a beautiful day and a superb view.

Looks like you took somebody's letterbox. It would be nice if you returned it and found another spot for your cache. He was there first.

I thought a letterbox was a cache that included a stamp? The logbook included the dates and stamps.

It was just a small notebook, inside a lock and lock. No pen, no stamp, no swag, nothing else. Just a book.

I thought a letterbox was a cache that included a stamp? The logbook included the dates and stamps.

It was just a small notebook, inside a lock and lock. No pen, no stamp, no swag, nothing else. Just a book.

Letterboxing is something like geocaching, but without GPS, and has been around much, much, longer than geocaching. Not all letterboxes are even listed online anywhere.

Letterboxing is something like geocaching, but without GPS, and has been around much, much, longer than geocaching. Not all letterboxes are even listed online anywhere.

I have read the story about letterboxing but I thought it was one of the main things that it had to have a stamp?

Also what are the odds that two people placed a cache within a foot or better of each other? Then named the cache the exact same name?

If another cacher found the letterbox instead of your cache, and decided to trade for the stamp (it happens!) the stamp would be missing.

A couple people mention in their logs something about a letterbox, it sounds like one found an archived LB hybrid, but it is hard to tell with the other log.

One other possibility comes to mind: One of those numbers cachers who will, rather than log a DNF on a cache they can't find, throw a film can out and claiming it as a find. Unfortunately for them, they were out of film cans, so they tossed a L'n'L instead. :ph34r:

Also what are the odds that two people placed a cache within a foot or better of each other? Then named the cache the exact same name?
I very recently found a letterbox within feet of a hidden puzzle cache, so the odds can't be that bad.

As to the odds of the name being the same, I'd say that since the cache is named after the park, the odds would be pretty good that someone else was just as unimaginative** in naming their cache/letterbox/whatever.

** No offense, there's nothing wrong with being unimaginative in a case like this. Naming something what it is can be very helpful to others. If I were to market my Super-Anti-Periodontal Enamel Cleaning and Refreshening Tool, nobody'd buy it. If I sold it as a new & improved tooth brush, I bet it'd do better.

Edited by Too Tall John

I agree. I'm not sure why someone would ever take something that obviously wasn't theirs. What goes around, comes around....
If another cacher found the letterbox instead of your cache, and decided to trade for the stamp (it happens!) the stamp would be missing.

A couple people mention in their logs something about a letterbox, it sounds like one found an archived LB hybrid, but it is hard to tell with the other log.

One other possibility comes to mind: One of those numbers cachers who will, rather than log a DNF on a cache they can't find, throw a film can out and claiming it as a find. Unfortunately for them, they were out of film cans, so they tossed a L'n'L instead. :ph34r:

The letterbox in the logs is GCN51E. Which the owner quit and archived everything he owned on geocaching due to a personal grudge he has after they stopped allowing the creation of virtual cache's and locationless caches. Ask any local they will tell you he has a stick up his....,

After asking for a hint cause I couldn't find his cache he archived it, and since then I have found it and re-hid it elsewhere. (He said he doesn't care, and made it very clear that anyone is welcome to find his cache's, I have found two other letterbox's he left for geolitter)

It rose suspision after I retrieved GCN51E and people were still claiming they found it. I called one persons bluff thinking he didn't find anything and he told me where to find the square cache in question. (I was about to delete his log and call him a liar, boy am I glad I didn't).

We have caches on this site that are both caches and letterboxes (letterbox hybrid). But there are many pure letterboxes. Letterboxers like to hide their boxes in many of the same kinds of places we hide our caches, so there are frequently conflicts.

Perhaps the stamp was taken by a previous accidental finder. Sometimes geocachers accidentally find a letterbox and take the stamp thinking its a cool trade item. Every once in a while an irate letterboxer shows up here to complain.

I agree. I'm not sure why someone would ever take something that obviously wasn't theirs. What goes around, comes around....

Maybe this is why. www.lnt.org

Thanks for your input, now read the rest of the post cause I think you are confused.

Every once in a while an irate letterboxer shows up here to complain.

Well this is a first for me. Why don't they register the letterbox here as well? Would save them some complaining and it would get a lot more traffic.

Some of them don't necessarily want more traffic. Some of them don't like geocaching at all.

I'm afraid this cacher seems to have a slight problem with the concept of ownership. Or perhaps it is simply a "my way or the highway" viewpoint on life. :ph34r:

Edited by Sioneva
I'm afraid this cacher seems to have a slight problem with the concept of ownership. Or perhaps it is simply a "my way or the highway" viewpoint on life. :ph34r:

That TB is in the mail to that owner now. Its not an issue of ownership, if you would like to discuss how that person violated the guidlines that says no knives in a cache then maybe you should discuss your issues on that topic, in that forum. Two issues, two topics. The topic here is a proximity issue between two caches.

Could we please stay on topic? If you want to post flaming messages towards myself, I have my own forum..., www.razornylon.com/community

I've yet to find a letterbox (I'm still a noob)...but I keep re-reading the logs for one local multi-cache I can't find stage 2 of...and there are a bunch of logs that said they found stage 3 while looking for a letterbox placed in approximately the same location...or vice versa, found the letterbox while looking for stage 3. If I ever find stage 2 and can begin hunting stage 3, I think it would be pretty cool to find the letterbox as well.

GCN51E is the cache in question. If you are not going to put it back at least let the owner know you appropriated his container.

I have talked with him multiple times. The majority of the conversation would be inappropriate to repeat. Since geocaching moved virtual cache's over to waymarks he simply quit. Archived all of his caches without warning except the virtual caches. Left all those caches out in the wild and has apparently told everyone that they can collect them cause he now hates geocaching.

I found my first one by accident, thought it was another cache 300 feet off course then later realized what it was and asked him about it and he bit my head off. In asking him if I could rehide it he bit my head off again claiming he already told everyone they can have his cache's. I am a late bloomer and missed the announcement.

He is well aware that I have GCN51E and I have re-hid it already too. (GC1CTM9) The stamp is a ying yang stamp and I am working on a Korean letterbox, so saving it for that. Don't know the exact code for the other cache's but I have hidden one its GC1CWJA.

GCN51E is free and clear. I collected his geolitter. My first FTF was another cache someone else grabbed that he left for geolitter. (GC1AQD4)

This cache I picked up today I thought was more geolitter, a joke, a lost cache, something..., bottom line I can't find anything that says its suppose to be there.

There's a letterbox of the same name as your cache in the park.

It's restricted. How do I contact the owner?

I guess this means that its not geolitter and I can put it back, now what does that mean for my cache?

This isn't the first time this has happened - GCR68D has a letterbox very close by, hidden within the same structure, and it has caused a lot of confusion on the part of finders. You might want to amend the description of your cache to make sure people know what kind of container they are looking for... assuming that that's not part of the puzzle. :ph34r:

Though that might not be enough. In the case of the cache I mentioned, the letterbox was in tupperware, the cache owner stated that his cache was a magnetic keholder, and people were still logging the wrong thing. You might consider moving the location of the final, if this continues to be an ongoing problem?

This isn't the first time this has happened - GCR68D has a letterbox very close by, hidden within the same structure, and it has caused a lot of confusion on the part of finders. You might want to amend the description of your cache to make sure people know what kind of container they are looking for... assuming that that's not part of the puzzle. :ph34r:

Though that might not be enough. In the case of the cache I mentioned, the letterbox was in tupperware, the cache owner stated that his cache was a magnetic keholder, and people were still logging the wrong thing. You might consider moving the location of the final, if this continues to be an ongoing problem?

But if there cache is restricted, I would asume they want it private. (I still don't understand that one). If I left my cache in the same place, it would ruin this for her.

At the same time I can't move my cache as its a puzzle cache and I would have to reconfigure the puzzle.

But if there cache is restricted, I would asume they want it private. (I still don't understand that one). If I left my cache in the same place, it would ruin this for her.

At the same time I can't move my cache as its a puzzle cache and I would have to reconfigure the puzzle.

I don't know enough about letterboxes to say what "restricted" means. Maybe you could add another step onto the puzzle cache, an offset from the current final coords? Something like "go to the coordinates, then proceed x number of paces at angle y?"

Just a thought. I'd hate to have to redo my puzzle, but it looks like I might have to. ;) Or archive it. Site is likely underwater atm.

Sure you can. When you return the letterbox to its rightful home, move your cache a safe distance away, so that letterboxers and cachers won't be finding the wrong container, and take new coordinates. Edit your cache page to say "after solving the puzzle, subtract .012 from the latitude and add .009 to the longitude." Edit your additional waypoint to reflect the new final location.

Sure you can. When you return the letterbox to its rightful home, move your cache a safe distance away, so that letterboxers and cachers won't be finding the wrong container, and take new coordinates. Edit your cache page to say "after solving the puzzle, subtract .012 from the latitude and add .009 to the longitude." Edit your additional waypoint to reflect the new final location.

I guess the thing that concerns me is that if I move the cache some people are going to have old data and find the letterbox anyway.

Maybe archive it for a week, change the coordinates in the puzzle then, re-post it so everyone has updated coordinates? Its a farily simply puzzle if someone is able to solve it once I am sure they can do it again.

My other problem is with this park its really small. I mean REALLY small. I have seen middle class homes the same size as this park. They are doing construction on one side of the park too so my choices are seriously limited.

Maybe archive it for a week, change the coordinates in the puzzle then, re-post it so everyone has updated coordinates?

Could you put a note in the letterbox, saying "This is a letterbox, not a geocache"? And a similar (but opposite) one in the cache? I've seen those types of notes around here a lot when caches and letterboxes are placed very close to each other. And on your cache page, note that there is a letterbox near the cache, and that finding and signing that does not count as a find for the cache.

Edited by the hermit crabs

Maybe archive it for a week, change the coordinates in the puzzle then, re-post it so everyone has updated coordinates?

Could you put a note in the letterbox, saying "This is a letterbox, not a geocache"? And a similar (but opposite) one in the cache? I've seen those types of notes around here a lot when caches and letterboxes are placed very close to each other. And on your cache page, note that there is a letterbox near the cache, and that finding and signing that does not count as a find for the cache.

Sounds like a smart idea. Thanks

The point remains that if you find a box that is not yours leave it alone. You were convinced that it was litter and it turns out you were wrong. It can happen again if you just pick up boxes. These games depend on people leaving things where they are. You should not have picked up the container just because you did not think it was a valid game piece.

Edited by Michael

The point remains that if you find a box that is not yours leave it alone. You were convinced that it was litter and it turns out you were wrong. It can happen again if you just pick up boxes. These games depend on people leaving things where they are. You should not have picked up the container just because you did not think it was a valid game piece.

I'm still trying to follow to OP's reasoning as to why he took it.

Let's say a new game comes along called Gortblat. While someone is hiding a Gorblat Putamaroow, they happen upon your cache. HHMMM....who would put such a small Putamaroow here? Must be abandoned (I checked the Gortblat website after all), so I'll just take it.

It goes back to the golden rule. If you don't mind people muggling your cache since it's abandoned, I guess it was OK that you took it first and then asked questions later.

However, if you're not fond of people stealing your abandoned property, why steal others'? Just because it's not on a certain website?

Sorry......I'm off to play Gortblat......

Edited by PhxChem
There's a letterbox of the same name as your cache in the park.

It's restricted. How do I contact the owner?

I guess this means that its not geolitter and I can put it back, now what does that mean for my cache?

Two choices. You can keep it where it is and continue to deal with the confusion, or being that the letterbox was there first, you can move your cache.

Commonsense tells me that an item left in a public park is considered abandonment. Legally you have the right to go around and collect geocaches as they are all abandoned property. I don't know where you are coming up with this theft/vandalism theory, but I think you need to expand your own short-sightedness.

Now back to the issue. I found a square lock and lock container with a notebook inside. The notebook is hold no meantions of it being a geocache, doesn't contain a stash note, or anything of the like. However from my own experience if I had this in my own possesion I would call it a geocache. Not bugs, no coins, just a book with two entries that include a date and a stamp. One person left a note stating that it was a beautiful day and a superb view.

This box, was within a couple feet from my own cache. I spent a while trying to find a good spot to find it and never found this box. From my own stand point it magically appeared. Its not registered, its not even identifiable. Its just a box. I have no one I can contact, as I will say again..., its not registered. Looks like a geocache, but it can't be cause its only a geocache once its registered.

I am curious if anyone can tell me where this box came from, cause to me it came out of nowhere. The fact that it is directly beneath (out of the entire park, with my cache being the only cache) its directly, centered exactly two feet under my cache.

I was looking for an explanation, not a flamer. If this is going to turn into a flame thread then could someone just lock this topic now.

Wow! I just love your excuses for being a cache/letterbox thief! You are quite amazing!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Keystone, thank you for the voice of reason and sanity! Given some other threads and posts I have seen from this cacher in recent months, there seem to be some chronic misunderstandings on his part of some of the basic rules of the game!

>Ask any local they will tell you he has a stick up his....,

I am the ex-geocacher you're describing here. I can't believe the owners of this geocaching.com allow members to post logs that constitute libel. Seems to me you should be banned from this website for using that kind of language. Unbelievable. If people like you are playing this game, it's no wonder...

Anton

-------

The letterbox in the logs is GCN51E. Which the owner quit and archived everything he owned on geocaching due to a personal grudge he has after they stopped allowing the creation of virtual cache's and locationless caches. Ask any local they will tell you he has a stick up his....,

After asking for a hint cause I couldn't find his cache he archived it, and since then I have found it and re-hid it elsewhere. (He said he doesn't care, and made it very clear that anyone is welcome to find his cache's, I have found two other letterbox's he left for geolitter)

It rose suspision after I retrieved GCN51E and people were still claiming they found it. I called one persons bluff thinking he didn't find anything and he told me where to find the square cache in question. (I was about to delete his log and call him a liar, boy am I glad I didn't).

Commonsense tells me that an item left in a public park is considered abandonment.

So, if I leave an item in a park that makes it abandoned? If I park a bicycle in the rack at the park across the street from work will you take that?

If I hide a box in a park it isn't abandoned. It is hidden. It becomes abandoned when I stop caring about it. As you don't know when I stop caring about that item please leave it alone.

As for what to do now I think you should contact the owner of that LB and apologize. If it was me I'd move or archive the cache as the letterbox was there first. We want others to share space with us for caching so it is only fair that we share with them.

>I have talked with him multiple times. The majority of the conversation would be inappropriate to repeat.

>Since geocaching moved virtual cache's over to waymarks he simply quit. Archived all of his caches without

>warning except the virtual caches. Left all those caches out in the wild and has apparently told everyone

>that they can collect them cause he now hates geocaching.

Again, I can't believe the owners of geocaching.com allow members to post these kinds of libelous remarks. It's gotten so nasty that other players are sending me email suggesting I report, or at least, defend myself. You never "talked" to me. We only communicated by email. I never wrote anything that couldn't be repeated in my email replies. This is total fabrication (fantasy?) on your part. You should be ashamed of yourself. I was one of the first geocachers in the greater Syracuse, NY area. There was only one cache in this city when I started hiding them, and before I started giving my caches up for adoption and archiving them, I had hid something like 76 in all. Yes, I did stop playing when the gc.com owners decided to being ending virtual and locationless (reverse) caches. So what? My choice. Many players asked me to keep hiding them, but it was a losing battle. No big deal. And if I state my opinions, well, it's a free country. But I never trashed other geocachers, as you seem to enjoy doing so much. If you like geocaching so much, maybe you should quit posting libelous fabrications and go play the game. Either that, or you should be banned from the forums.

Anton

-------

GCN51E is the cache in question. If you are not going to put it back at least let the owner know you appropriated his container.

I have talked with him multiple times. The majority of the conversation would be inappropriate to repeat. Since geocaching moved virtual cache's over to waymarks he simply quit. Archived all of his caches without warning except the virtual caches. Left all those caches out in the wild and has apparently told everyone that they can collect them cause he now hates geocaching.

I found my first one by accident, thought it was another cache 300 feet off course then later realized what it was and asked him about it and he bit my head off. In asking him if I could rehide it he bit my head off again claiming he already told everyone they can have his cache's. I am a late bloomer and missed the announcement.

He is well aware that I have GCN51E and I have re-hid it already too. (GC1CTM9) The stamp is a ying yang stamp and I am working on a Korean letterbox, so saving it for that. Don't know the exact code for the other cache's but I have hidden one its GC1CWJA.

GCN51E is free and clear. I collected his geolitter. My first FTF was another cache someone else grabbed that he left for geolitter. (GC1AQD4)

This cache I picked up today I thought was more geolitter, a joke, a lost cache, something..., bottom line I can't find anything that says its suppose to be there.

>Ask any local they will tell you he has a stick up his....,

I am the ex-geocacher you're describing here. I can't believe the owners of this geocaching.com allow members to post logs that constitute libel. Seems to me you should be banned from this website for using that kind of language. Unbelievable. If people like you are playing this game, it's no wonder...

Anton

-------

If you wish to take a few moments to read some of the other posts and threads uttered by the poster in question over the past few months, you will notice that he/she seems to have a propensity for saying inflammatory things and for totally putting her/his foot in their mouth! In fact, some of this person's posts have been so troll-like in nature that for a very long time I was 99% convinced that this was not a real person, but rather that the account was a sock puppet account created by a bored forum member who simply wanted a venue where they could utter really bizarre troll statements just for the fun of it! I am rather stunned now that I am coming to the realization that the account may be a "real" person after all! Bizarre! Since I find it hard to believe that a real living human being can actually say some of the things which this person has wrote, I can only suggest that God has a very large sense of humor, and created people like this to keep the rest of us amused!

Restricted (on Atlasquest) means that the hider has blocked the clue to non-letterboxers. This is done primarily so that the clue isn't available to non-boxers who might not understand letterboxing and therefore plunder the boxes. How's that for irony?

The OP should return the letterbox and yield the spot to the letterboxer who has been in that place for almost 33 months and find a new spot for his cache.

<snip>

Bizarre! Since I find it hard to believe that a real living human being can actually say some of the things which this person has wrote, I can only suggest that God has a very large sense of humor, and created people like this to keep the rest of us amused!

Why, thank you for noticing, Vinny! I do have a sense of humor, and I enjoy keeping you amused!

But you're still not getting that puppy you've been praying for. :ph34r:

And, on a more serious note... definitely shouldn't have taken the container until you were sure it was geolitter. Being sure, in this case, meaning "having done the research to prove it was or wasn't". If I was the letterbox owner, I'd be ticked off at geocachers right now. Or at least at one of them. ;) Gives us a bad name.

Edited by Sioneva

Just FYI on how often this happens, I own a cache called Old Cracker Cabin. One of the early finders told me that my cache was near a letterbox named Old Cracker Cabin! I moved my hide a bit, and added to the cache description that anyone who found the nearby letterbox should NOT remove the stamp.

Good hide places attract hides from both cachers and letterboxers. I've now found 4 letterboxes in the course of geocaching - none of which I was hunting. They're in a lot of the same places.....

There is a log on Atlasquest indicating that the stamp was present on May 15. This letterboxer (like most) handcarves her stamps and I'm sure she'd like it back in the letterbox. It might be cool if you would review the logbook and see if you can figure out who might have accidently taken the stamp and help see to its return.

I'm a new geocacher.. but have been a letterboxer for awhile.. I looked up the "box" in question of the LB site.. I do know the person that might have hid the box in question. Same park name and everything..

I will be sending her an email asking her to check on her box. That her stamp might be missing.

I enjoy both GC & LB... each have a unique skill...

T

In your initial post, you seem to be asking for advice. For the moment, I'll ignore the fact that you are arguing with just about every one who has given you advice, and toss my $0.02 in the mix:

If it were me, and I found what appeared to be a viable cache near one of mine, (by viable I mean the container is still watertight and it's still getting hits), I'd leave it there and do some inqueries when I got home. My first step would be to contact the local reviewer and share my tale with them, in hopes that they could research nearby archived caches. Then I would do as you have done, and search TC & NC. Failing that, I would search for letterboxes, which will take a lot more time, as their data is not as user friendly as ours.

If, after all that, I still couldn't get an answer that satisfied me, I would move my cache somewhere away from the existing one. If I did get an answer that led me to believe it was a long archived geocache, I would take a look at the owner to see if they were still active, and send them a note. If they had given up the game, I would send another note to the local reviewer, as well as posting my tale in any local caching clubs, to see if it should be removed or left alone. Sometimes locals take it upon themselves to maintain archived caches, and this may be the case here.

If all that failed, (assuming the cache is in good shape, as you described), I would add the coords to my POI file and check on it every so often to see how its doing. If I couldn't identify the cache at all, and it deteriated into what I consider to be geolitter, (non-viable container/inactive owner), then I would tote it out.

I would not arbitrarily remove a cache that was in good shape, simply because I couldn't identify it.

-Sean