AC to DC Car Charger Socket Adapter

Does anyone have any experience using an AC to DC Car Charger Socket Adapter to power their GPS with a car accessory power cable? I'm thinking of using my car cable with the above mentioned adapter to record a track log of an upcoming cruise, rather than relying entirely on the batteries. Also, any recommendations of a specific model? Is there any risk of frying my GPS (a Garmin 60csx)?

Thanks in advance. geomapper

Edited by geomapper

I think he means a 110v AC to 12v DC converter to plug the Garmin vehicle power cable into. It will work, other than the converter frying and supplying high voltage to the GPS there should be no risk involved. I imagine there are fuses in both the converter and the power cable to prevent damage even if that happens. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I have a Garmin cable that powers my Nuvi from a wall socket directly and it was $12 or so. It has the adapters for sockets in other countries. Of course it charges while powering and the unit is usable while connected, not like the USB cable.