Some strange spots on the geocoins

PLnauta

Hi all,

i don't know if someone has the same problem, but i've been noticing that on "polished silver" and "nickel" geocoins, there are some dark spots appearing on the metal.

This isn't common but before starting to try to clean the geocoins, i would like to ear from you.

Thanks

Paulo

Hi all,

i don't know if someone has the same problem, but i've been noticing that on "polished silver" and "nickel" geocoins, there are some dark spots appearing on the metal.

This isn't common but before starting to try to clean the geocoins, i would like to ear from you.

Thanks

Paulo

are they hard-edged spots or do they look like tarnish. the tarnish spots i have seen.

rsg

I am not sure if this is the case, but I have read on a German forum, that the soft platic bags the coins are delivered in are agrressive to the coins due to the softener in the plastic... :D:laughing:

I take some harder plastic, that is especially made for coincollecting in general :D

I am not sure if this is the case, but I have read on a German forum, that the soft platic bags the coins are delivered in are agrressive to the coins due to the softener in the plastic..

Here's a link that talks about PVC reside due to the softening agent.

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/FAQServices.aspx#jump22

Thank you, that is just what I was thinking about :D I only did not have an english speaking source :D

I havn't seen any spots, but I accidently ran one of my LE black nickel coins through the wash and all of the black came off, now it's just nickel colored.

:blink::wub:

Geocoins should come with a warning label

DO NOT WASH!!!!!

:D

I have noticed spots on the ones a had minted aswell B)

That's strange! :blink:

I haven't had a problem with "discoloration due to washing". :o

I have one of the Black Nickel Sept 2007 9-11 pins from the Geoswag Coin & Pin Club on the collar of one of my work uniform shirts. I put it on there the day I recieved them and haven't taken it off since!

It gets washed "at least" once a week (sometimes twice in a week) and it looks just as good as the day I recieved it.

Same thing for the 2007 Sept edition as well. :o Placed it on my collar when I recieved them in the mail and haven't taked it out since either!! Washed weekly and still looks like new! :D

I've often thought about taking pics of them and posting them as a testimonial to the fine craftsmanship of them but have just never gotten around to it. :blink:

D-man B)

I havn't seen any spots, but I accidently ran one of my LE black nickel coins through the wash and all of the black came off, now it's just nickel colored.

A black Sharpie marker will help you there :laughing: I've received some coins that the BN has flaked off and I just used a sharpie marker to fill in the missing part and you can't tell the difference.

Maybe danoshimano will post in this thread, he talked about the pvc pouch interaction with the coin metals, etc. and the thread had some good info. on how to properly care for your coins. I didn't save the thread link, sorry.

Edited by tsunrisebey

~Snip~

I've received some coins that the BN has flaked off and I just used a sharpie marker to fill in the missing part and you can't tell the difference.

It seems like the black nickel finish is being applied too thin lately. I have received black nickel coins that look great except for the areas where the black nickel has rubbed off because it is so thin, usually on the edge of the coin. I try not to buy black nickel anymore unless I really want the coin.

~Snip~

I've received some coins that the BN has flaked off and I just used a sharpie marker to fill in the missing part and you can't tell the difference.

It seems like the black nickel finish is being applied too thin lately. I have received black nickel coins that look great except for the areas where the black nickel has rubbed off because it is so thin, usually on the edge of the coin. I try not to buy black nickel anymore unless I really want the coin.

You know, I'm not sure, I haven't traded for anything in BN lately nor ordered and I personally haven't minted anything in BN (which I normally love), so I haven't really had anyting come in with the problem recently. Although when I did get something that seemed to be thin or flaking off, I used the marker. Other than not ordering BN coins, not sure there is anything you can do about it. I've seen some horrible cases (2007 ET's) where the BN bled into the recessed areas or flaked off pretty bad. I still like BN though, lol.

I am not sure if this is the case, but I have read on a German forum, that the soft platic bags the coins are delivered in are agrressive to the coins due to the softener in the plastic..

Here's a link that talks about PVC reside due to the softening agent.

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/FAQServices.aspx#jump22

Most of the plastic flips you get standard are a basic and decently strong coin holder. Mylar flips are used for archival purposes, but they're much more flimsy. It's not really what you'd want any traveling coin in, but if you're serious about saving the lustre of your polished coins, I'm pretty sure I've seen the Mylar flips on CoinsAndPins.com.