iFinder Hunt

DonB

I was on the phone with tech support last night and after being put back on hold for two or three minutes the guy came back on and said congratulations, you found a firmware bug everyone else overlooked.

What happened was, I was on the mapping page and hit menu then went to map data to turn off the pop ups. After un-checking it and going back to the map page I noticed nothing had changed. I went back into the menus and found out the box was checked again. I went back into the menus and tried it again with the same results so that's when I called Lowrance.

The tech rep wrote it up and said he would turn it over to the software people. While I had him on the phone I also questioned him about the newest WAAS birds. From where I live 51 is at an elevation of 37.6 degrees and I would think it shouldn't be that hard to receive it. In fact I have a Garmin Foretrex 101 that receives it just about 100% of the time. Once I picked it up with the Hunt for about two or three minutes then it was gone and I haven't picked it up since. I told him to ask his software people if a firmware update would be needed.

After reading this I was checking my H20c in this regard. I found that if I uncheck the popup box and then recheck it, the box will not stay checked as long as I simply exit the menu and go back to the map. But when the popup box is checked and the unit turned off, the box was still checked when the unit was powered up.

After reading this I was checking my H20c in this regard. I found that if I uncheck the popup box and then recheck it, the box will not stay checked as long as I simply exit the menu and go back to the map. But when the popup box is checked and the unit turned off, the box was still checked when the unit was powered up.

But my problem is the opposite of what yours does, mine wont stay unchecked.

I just came back and edited this message. I tried what you did and it works either way. Very strange, but I would still say it's a firmware bug.

Edited by DWBur

I'd like to see the WAAS thing fixed. It isn't a big issue but I would like to use bird #51 since it is the best one for my area.

Maybe if enough people called Lowrance they would do a firmware update. I wish I would have remembered to mention it to the first rep I talked to, he seemed real helpful. I called back last night to update them on what Indotguy discovered and got a different rep, she said she couldn't go into the system and read what the other rep wrote up, which seems kind of mickey mouse to me. I wish I would have paid more attention when the first guy said his name, I got to start doing that. Anyway when I mentioned the WAAS thing she made a bunch of excuses as to why a firmware up date wouldn't work. AT one point she said 51 wasn't a true WAAS bird that it was piggy backed on another bird. Then she said maybe I didn't leave the unit on long enough for it to find the new birds. I asked her if six or eight hours at a time wasn't long enough to which she had no answer. Then she turned right around and said there is a built in table that tells the GPS what birds to look for. I ask her if they did a firmware update wouldn't that also update the table, to which she said yes. I told her I rest my case, if the GPS doesn't know the bird is there the GPS can't look for it. At the end of our conversation she said she would be more then happy to write a report on my concerns on the WAAS problem, but something tells me not to hold my breath on her doing that. Oh, one more thing I brought up, which isn't that big a deal but it would be nice if they could add it to any firmware update, is to add an option to be able to tell the GPS you are using NiMH batteries to make the battery meter a little more accurate.

While I've found Lowrance tech service very friendly, they aren't very knowledgeable or particularly helpful beyond arranging a return. Something tells me they aren't really techs, but phone sitters with a stack of manuals.

Last time I dealt with them they started to act like I didn't know my stuff, (but were very friendly.) I finally stacked enough evidence that they just did what I asked and it fixed the problem instead of having their techs do the troubleshooting. Worked like a charm after that.

I guess I ought to start calling or writing E-mails about my concerns over the WAAS. Your NiMH idea is also a good suggestion I didn't think of.

While I've found Lowrance tech service very friendly, they aren't very knowledgeable or particularly helpful beyond arranging a return. Something tells me they aren't really techs, but phone sitters with a stack of manuals.

Last time I dealt with them they started to act like I didn't know my stuff, (but were very friendly.) I finally stacked enough evidence that they just did what I asked and it fixed the problem instead of having their techs do the troubleshooting. Worked like a charm after that.

I guess I ought to start calling or writing E-mails about my concerns over the WAAS. Your NiMH idea is also a good suggestion I didn't think of.

I have to agree with you about them not being true techs. I don't consider myself an expert by far but a couple of them amazed me that they didn't know about some simple things that I mentioned about the GPS.

As far as emailing them about an issue it makes it too easy to ignore. I usually call them if I have an issue. At least I know someone heard what I had to say.

I think the more people that call them the more likely they are to do something about any issue. As my granddaddy used to say, "the squeaking wheel gets the grease."

Wow!

Are you telling me that Lowrance customer service in the U.S. actually answer the phone? Good Luck in Canada, several calls and messages never answered. I even e-mailed the U.S. customer service, because we don't have that option in Canada, and asked them to forward the e-mail to Canada, which they did, and still waiting for reply a week later. The Canadian office is listed as being open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, 5 days a week, which doesn't make it easy to contact them when you are on the road every day. Have logged close to 1 hour on hold on a company cell phone trying to contact them but they don't answer the phone or return messages.

How many times in an hour do think you will hear "Your call is very important to us please stay on the line and the next available customer service representative will be pleased to help you."

If I have to take a day off work to stay on hold all day I might as well pitch the Expedition C in the garbage and buy something new as it would be cheaper than losing a days pay.

Wow!

Are you telling me that Lowrance customer service in the U.S. actually answer the phone? Good Luck in Canada, several calls and messages never answered. I even e-mailed the U.S. customer service, because we don't have that option in Canada, and asked them to forward the e-mail to Canada, which they did, and still waiting for reply a week later. The Canadian office is listed as being open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, 5 days a week, which doesn't make it easy to contact them when you are on the road every day. Have logged close to 1 hour on hold on a company cell phone trying to contact them but they don't answer the phone or return messages.

How many times in an hour do think you will hear "Your call is very important to us please stay on the line and the next available customer service representative will be pleased to help you."

If I have to take a day off work to stay on hold all day I might as well pitch the Expedition C in the garbage and buy something new as it would be cheaper than losing a days pay.

I have never had that problem with the USA support. Sometimes if I call on a Monday, which is a bad day to call any company, I have waited as high as 15 minutes so I just put it on the speakerphone and go about my business until they answer.

Maybe it would help to contact someone in the home office in Tulsa and let them know how lousy their support is in Canada.

DWBur,

I have found a similar bug with my Expedition C, checking/unchecking the Popup square and (cant remember which) another one as well will not work - unless you check/uncheck it and TURN IT OFF right away, it won't remember what you did.

The Ifinders have some bugs in them, period. But I am still overall quite happy with my Expedition.