Eastern Cape Geocaching Event - Port Elizabeth

ravenmeistre

Zantus, myself and ammasoeksoek have been discussing having a geocaching event here in Port Elizabeth for all the Eastern Cape peoples. It will probably mostly be the people from PE, but we're inviting everyone.

We've put together a list of what we suggest the event will have and how it will be run. But we need feedback from people that want to attend.

So if you think you'd like to join us email me on chris@cmcs.co.za and I'll send you what we have so far. We'd like to have it on 19 July 2008, but that can change as well depending on the demand.

Edited by ravenmeistre

Here is the first draft. Please read through it and let me know if there is anything you want a suggest / comment on. Also, if you know of other PE and EC cachers, please point them to this thread so that they know about it as well!

Date: 19 July 2008

Venue: Algoa Toyota 4x4 Club

Co-ordinates: S 33 56.693 E 25 34.125

About the caches:

1. Each team will place a minimum 1 cache prior to the event

2. Caches must be no further than 7km from the venue

3. You will need let us know 16 July 2008 how many caches you are going to place as each cache needs to be numbered with a unique number. We will provide you with these numbers.

4. Caches must at least be a small cache which contains a log book

5. The terrain rating must not be higher than 2 and the difficulty rating not higher than 2.

6. Each cache must contain a clue that you've thought up. This can be anything. Every person that finds the cache must write down that clue to proof they did indeed find it.

7. Print out at least 1 page with the details of the cache, including coordinates, additional clues, terrain rating and difficulty rating. If possible please print out at least a couple of extra pages for other cachers, so that everyone does not need to sit down and write everything beforehand.

8. When hiding the caches remember to just stop and think for a few seconds, "Would you like to be brought here to geocache?". If you can answer that, you'll know if you're supposed to place a cache there or not. We're trying to get quality caches up and running for this event.

9. All the caches will be logged on Geocaching.com after the event as real caches, so it needs to comply with all the Geocaching rules and regulations.

About the participants:

1. You must be a registered member of geocaching.com prior the event.

2. Bring friends and family to take part in your team

3. Anyone from Geocaching.com is welcome

How will it work:

1. We will all meet at 12:00

2. From here we will all have a chance to write down all the cache information from all the caches.

3. Each person will be given a unique order in which to go about finding the caches. This is just a guideline and you don't have to stick to them, but it would be best as we're trying to avoid more than 1 team searching a cache at the same time.

4. We will all go out and enjoy ourselves while hunting for these caches.

5. Everyone must be back at the venue by 16:00

6. All the caches that are not found by you can be done at another other stage after the event, ONCE THE CACHES HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED ON GEOCACHING.COM. All caches must be published any time after the event.

What else you must bring:

1. Pen, paper and your GPS!

2. A small gift per team (i.e. pen, geocache sticker, etc) that will be used for various prices

3. Something to braai afterwards

4. Snacks, cooldrink, etc to eat while geocaching!

What will be made available at the venue:

1. Indoor and/or outdoor fires

2. Cash bar is available

Prices will be for the following:

1. Best cache placement of the day

2. Most finds for the day

3. A couple of others we'll make up during the day!

I'm ok with 9 august. And yes, we _HAVE_ to braai afterwards ;)

We can always hold it a bit later towards the end of the year? Just a suggestion. I'd like to have it as soon as possible obviously, because we're quite excited about this!

If you know of any other PE people or other people that wants to join, please refer them to this thread so that they can also have their say. Or let them email me!