Garmin Repairs/service

After having read so many positive things about garmin, i feel this one needs to be shared and i am also interested in others views.

I have a 60csx and due to my rough fingers :D (Not about the numbers) 4 of the buttons on the gps have worn out, eg in/out and quit/enter.

After emailing twice, a contact mentioned on these forums a few months ago and not getting a response of any sort this morning i gave them a call.

"Could you send me out some replacement buttons for my 60csx?"

"No, we don't send out spare parts"

"what are my options then?"

"Send it back to us and we will repair it, but i have to warn you it is a ridiculously high price"

"How ridiculous?"

"£90 + vat"

"******"!!!!!! :laughing:

End of call, (After falling off chair)

Perhaps they don't offer good service anymore, perhaps they don't need to now there are more and more units out there, just waiting to go wrong and be repaired at a minimum of £90 +

Needless to say, i'll persevere with the buttons i have :D

Who need Garmin anyway, there are other machines out there.

Edited by Wadders

There are countless examples of Garmin's truly superb service and we wouldn't consider ever buying another make of GPS. Last time we had a problem we were quoted a fairly high charge.... but we left our GPS with them and a couple of days later a brand new replacement arrived by courier - no charge.

I think they are bound to quote a charge but there are many people who have received replacement items free of charge. We have had two GPS receivers replaced - our last one was 12 years old and well outside the warranty and the small problem with it did not prevent it working. Nevertheless, Garmin came up trumps.

Yeah - who needs Garmin anyway??

I had a problem with my Legend last year. It was a known problem with the unit with the cursor button.

I sent it back for repair and all they could offer me was a brand new replacement for £56.00. - it was only 2 years old. :D

I took the offer as it was half the street price.

I have no idea what criterea they use to decide who gets the free ones ??? :D

After having read so many positive things about garmin, i feel this one needs to be shared and i am also interested in others views.

I have a 60csx and due to my rough fingers :D (Not about the numbers) 4 of the buttons on the gps have worn out, eg in/out and quit/enter.

After emailing twice, a contact mentioned on these forums a few months ago and not getting a response of any sort this morning i gave them a call.

"Send it back to us and we will repair it, but i have to warn you it is a ridiculously high price"

"How ridiculous?"

"£90 + vat"

"******"!!!!!! :laughing:

Perhaps they don't offer good service anymore, perhaps they don't need to now there are more and more units out there, just waiting to go wrong and be repaired at a minimum of £90 +

Needless to say, i'll persevere with the buttons i have :D

If the keys are physically OK, and just not good electrically, you can get a rubber keypad repair kit to restore the functionality..

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.j...+1001458+500001

I've used this kit on duff Sky remotes, mobile fones etc, with great results.. And at only about £15, it aint gonna break the bank!

P.

My Garmin Etrex Vista cx needed the rubber grip glueing back on [2nd time this has happened]

Once again they replaced it with a new unit [well an 'overhauled' unit but it looked brand new to me]

They recieved it on Monday and it was back with me on Wednesday - All free of charge even though out of warranty. I will never ever use any other make of gps as the service is so good.

Tom Tom however are C**P they do not answer phones and the e mail response service is non existant. Had free map upgrades from them when I bought the package [700 series] but the input codes supplied did not work and nor did the speed camera positions. Could not get them to assist [too late now]

Will NEVER EVER use Tom Tom again !!! :D:D

I have got free service a few times now but I have always took it to their Romsey base and they have fixed it there and then or repaired/replaced by post free of charge.

Mmmmm perhaps i sense a caching day coming up then near Romsey :D

thanks Mike, i may try that.

Mine's been like that for a while, but I know where the buttons are without looking at them, so it doesn't bother me.

I think mine has been caused by the buttons rubbing against something, as I wear it on a belt clip. It might even be the Garmin case that I sometimes keep it in.

I have a 60csx and due to my rough fingers :laughing: (Not about the numbers) 4 of the buttons on the gps have worn out, eg in/out and quit/enter.

"How ridiculous?"

"£90 + vat"

"******"!!!!!! :D

Needless to say, i'll persevere with the buttons i have :rolleyes:

I also followed up the advice on the forums and Emailed the supposed "Good" contact regarding my old Legend with a faulty joystick.. Im an Electronic engineer by trade so was more than willing to do all the work.. All I was after was the small circuit board.. Was not too bothered that the rubber adhesive went south within a month or so of purchace.. The responce was.... Err I'm still waiting.. 3 emails later I have zero responce..

Seems thy are not bothered to show off their new Colorado to nearly a thousand people in August either.. Never mind it's their loss :D

I have got free service a few times now but I have always took it to their Romsey base and they have fixed it there and then or repaired/replaced by post free of charge.

Mmmmm perhaps i sense a caching day coming up then near Romsey :blink:

That might just be a wasted trip.... They've moved to Southampton :blink:

Details as follows

Address:

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Liberty House

Hounsdown Business Park

Southampton, Hampshire SO40 9RB

United Kingdom

Office: 023-8052-4000

Fax: 023-8052-4004

Tech Support: 0808-238-0000 or 0870-8501242

E-Mail: techsupp.europe@garmin.com

I emailed garmin sometime ago to request a) how to return my gps for repair and :blink: how much would it cost. I've still not had ANY reply and have since ended up buying a new unit so I would say they're not the best at customer service!

Have phoned both times I needed help, once with a GPS'r that was well out of warranty. Both times I had a new replacement within a week. Only cost to me was posting it to them.

Emailing them is a waste of time tbh.

:blink:

Let me get the gist of this.....you're complaining because a company want to charge you for repairing a unit that isn't faulty but has a fault that you admit is due to the way you use it :blink: :blink:

Every company I've ever dealt with has had a variety of good and bad customer service but I've never come across a company where the bias towards good service has ever been so good!

I agree that emailing any of the contacts on this forum is now a waste of time. They've probably stopped even looking at them as they've become so well known! Phoning is the only way to go.

One tip. Make sure you get a reference number and a name. One time I rang and didn't get them and didn't get follow-up so had to ring again. When I did get them (from a very good guy called Phil) I got fantastic service and very efficient.

Let me get the gist of this.....you're complaining because a company want to charge you for repairing a unit that isn't faulty but has a fault that you admit is due to the way you use it B):D

I agree that emailing any of the contacts on this forum is now a waste of time. They've probably stopped even looking at them as they've become so well known! Phoning is the only way to go.

B) The way i use it????? I would imagine that there is only one way to press a button on a gps unit!!! Unless i am lacking imagination. :)

No the unit is not "Faulty", but if your car cost £6000 and you were quoted £2000 for a new key wouldnt you think that it was a bit disproportionate :D

As for emailing them, I have tried the "contacts" and now via there home page......and still no response.

If someone says hello, it's only common courtesy to reply :)

But hey if thats their level of customer service and your willing to accept that, thats fine, it's your choice.

I expect more. :D:D

To be fair, in the past i have had good service from them and have recieved replacement units when others have gone wrong..............perhaps their having an "Off month :D "

Let me get the gist of this.....you're complaining because a company want to charge you for repairing a unit that isn't faulty but has a fault that you admit is due to the way you use it B):D

B) The way i use it????? I would imagine that there is only one way to press a button on a gps unit!!! Unless i am lacking imagination. :)

No the unit is not "Faulty", but if your car cost £6000 and you were quoted £2000 for a new key wouldnt you think that it was a bit disproportionate :D

As for emailing them, I have tried the "contacts" and now via there home page......and still no response.

If someone says hello, it's only common courtesy to reply :)

But hey if thats their level of customer service and your willing to accept that, thats fine, it's your choice.

I expect more. :D:D

To be fair, in the past i have had good service from them and have recieved replacement units when others have gone wrong..............perhaps their having an "Off month :D "

AS OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED, YOU NEED TO USE THE PHONE!!!!!

THIS MONTH WAS FINE FOR ME ! B)B):D:D

A couple of years ago I had similar run ins with Garmin not answering emails/phone/letters. The rubber strip came off around my Vista which was only 11 months old. They sent me a new one FOC which was great but it was terrible customer service. But like others have said sometimes Garmin are superb!

Now the rubber is coming off my replacement unit so I'm going to have to contact them again! I dread it but who knows.

Re having to pay for repairs that some have commented on. It is reasonable to pay for repairs, the complaint I had (and others) is either the lack of response from Garmin or the inconsistency in their offers to repair.

Still wouldn't switch to Magellan though!!!

Chris

<<To be fair, in the past i have had good service from them and have recieved replacement units when others have gone wrong..............perhaps their having an "Off month >>

So you're telling us that you have experienced the legendary service more than once, but now you are whingeing about them?? There's simply no pleasing some people. Next time your 12-year old TV packs up try getting it replaced free of charge from one of the high street electrical shops.....

<<To be fair, in the past i have had good service from them and have recieved replacement units when others have gone wrong..............perhaps their having an "Off month >>

So you're telling us that you have experienced the legendary service more than once, but now you are whingeing about them?? There's simply no pleasing some people. Next time your 12-year old TV packs up try getting it replaced free of charge from one of the high street electrical shops.....

If you read the opening post, I have highlighted the current issue, I also mention the lack of current customer service.

12 year old TV!!!!

Not going to even respond to that one. :(

Hiya Wadders. LTNS.

I used the email address suggested by others (techsupp.europe@garmin.com) and told them my problem.

I explained that the unit was around 18 months old, but I suggested that the problem was a "known" issue. Hey presto, reconditioned unit (i think) returned to me within 2 days.

They did say there might be a charge, but there wasn't one.

Stu

Hiya Wadders. LTNS.

I used the email address suggested by others (techsupp.europe@garmin.com) and told them my problem.

I explained that the unit was around 18 months old, but I suggested that the problem was a "known" issue. Hey presto, reconditioned unit (i think) returned to me within 2 days.

They did say there might be a charge, but there wasn't one.

Stu

Many thanks Stu, I shall give it a try, still had no response from emailing direct :D

Hope you are keeping well.

I had the misfortune of having a caching accident on Saturday, almost turned my chair over while traversing a woodland hill and the GPSr was the victim ... smashed screen.

Just called Garmin with my woes and they can only promise a 10 day turn around, by which time I will have already left for the Mega event ... waaaah!

Apparently, they don't do repairs at Southampton, they send the units back to Taiwan and replace with a reconditioned model ... thats why so many people appear to get replacements.

Mine is now packaged up and on its way elsewhere, where they have promised to replace the screen on my unit and turnaround time of 72 hours ... oh yes, and it is cheaper.

I'll let you know what happens next!

I had the misfortune of having a caching accident on Saturday, almost turned my chair over while traversing a woodland hill and the GPSr was the victim ... smashed screen.
If you need a GPS in the short term I can get one into the post to you tomorrow to borrow until yours is returned if you like. I hope you weren't too shaken up by your near miss.

Ian

My old venture has seen better days (button missing, rubber coming away, display problems). I had settled on buying a new unit, but I'll phone Garmin and see if anything can be done with my venture. If the cost of repair is too much, I'll bite the bullet and buy a new unit.

Thanks for the info on phoning them first, Guys.

Mmmmm perhaps i sense a caching day coming up then near Romsey :unsure:

That might just be a wasted trip.... They've moved to Southampton :laughing:

Details as follows

Address:

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Liberty House

Hounsdown Business Park

United Kingdom

...and, importantly, what's the coordinates of this place??? :laughing:

Mmmmm perhaps i sense a caching day coming up then near Romsey :laughing:

That might just be a wasted trip.... They've moved to Southampton :unsure:

Details as follows

Address:

Garmin (Europe) Ltd

Liberty House

Hounsdown Business Park

United Kingdom

...and, importantly, what's the coordinates of this place??? :laughing:

N50 58.973' W001 27.834'

Mmmmm perhaps i sense a caching day coming up then near Romsey :unsure:

That's what I did many years ago. I did phone a few days earlier to ask if it was ok to pop in.

Just called Garmin with my woes and they can only promise a 10 day turn around, by which time I will have already left for the Mega event ... waaaah!

Apparently, they don't do repairs at Southampton, they send the units back to Taiwan and replace with a reconditioned model ... thats why so many people appear to get replacements.

Mine is now packaged up and on its way elsewhere, where they have promised to replace the screen on my unit and turnaround time of 72 hours ... oh yes, and it is cheaper.

I'll let you know what happens next!

Good news, the GPSr was posted around 4.15pm Monday to a repair company in London, yesterday afternoon just after 2 they phoned me to arrange payment and at 9.20 this morning the postie brought it home!

Cost £10 more than the estimate which brought the cost to the same as Garmin, but I got it back in 40 hours, quickest possible turnaround time.

Most importantly it is my unit, with memory intact and not some reconditioned job Garmin were offering. ;)

Result!

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Good news, the GPSr was posted around 4.15pm Monday to a repair company in London, yesterday afternoon just after 2 they phoned me to arrange payment and at 9.20 this morning the postie brought it home!

Cost £10 more than the estimate which brought the cost to the same as Garmin, but I got it back in 40 hours, quickest possible turnaround time.

Most importantly it is my unit, with memory intact and not some reconditioned job Garmin were offering. :anitongue:

Result!

I have to say that it is all to easy to dismiss Garmin [and congratulate them] But just to point out that Garmin replaced my unit with a later generation of software [with definate improvements] and a much higher capacity SD card than the one that I had taken out when I sent them the unit in a turnaround time identical to what you recieved.

Only difference was that it cost nothing !

I think you must have just spoken to the wrong guy,[maybe a holiday replacement ?]

I think that you should have read all the previous threads to realise that actually they are pretty dadgum good and I would certainly sooner trust the manufacturer with my expensive bit of kit than any other company ! :laughing::ph34r:

I think you must have just spoken to the wrong guy,[maybe a holiday replacement ?]

I think that you should have read all the previous threads to realise that actually they are pretty dadgum good and I would certainly sooner trust the manufacturer with my expensive bit of kit than any other company ! :anitongue::laughing:

Well I guess it is horses for courses, and indeed a question of speaking as you find. However, I am a tad surprised that you think I am so daft as to have NOT read this entire thread before I phoned them. Of course I did, that's why I was so horrified at their meagre offerings!

You have to remember that I damaged my unit not the unit gave up during warranty or wear and tear.

I phoned and was passed through to the person dealing with repairs for handheld GPS ... how can that be the wrong person?

I laid my problem before them explained it happened as I upended my wheelchair and that I was very keen to have it sorted out as soon as possible as the almost once in a lifetime mega event is looming. He didn't care ... they could offer nothing less than a ten day turnaround even with my tale of woe, and even with me offering to pay whatever it might cost.

I explained I lived nearby they did not offer a bring it in service and certainly could not fix my model, I had to agree to having a reconditioned job.

I wasn't trying to get something for free, I offered to pay fair and square but the deal I was offered was accept a reconditioned unit AND wait up to ten days for it (which is after I will have left for the event). Makes you wonder if they merely swap one model for another why on earth it takes 10 days!

However, in the circumstances of this interaction with Garmin I found them unhelpful and was extremely disappointed that they forced me to look elsewhere ... what is wrong with telling others that there are other places out there that do care about their customers and can turn your own gear round, repaired in a couple of days?

I think that you should have read all the previous threads to realise that actually they are pretty dadgum good and I would certainly sooner trust the manufacturer with my expensive bit of kit than any other company ! :laughing::ph34r:

Well I guess it is horses for courses, and indeed a question of speaking as you find. However, I am a tad surprised that you think I am so daft as to have NOT read this entire thread before I phoned them. Of course I did, that's why I was so horrified at their meagre offerings!

You have to remember that I damaged my unit not the unit gave up during warranty or wear and tear.

I phoned and was passed through to the person dealing with repairs for handheld GPS ... how can that be the wrong person?

I laid my problem before them explained it happened as I upended my wheelchair and that I was very keen to have it sorted out as soon as possible as the almost once in a lifetime mega event is looming. He didn't care ... they could offer nothing less than a ten day turnaround even with my tale of woe, and even with me offering to pay whatever it might cost.

I explained I lived nearby they did not offer a bring it in service and certainly could not fix my model, I had to agree to having a reconditioned job.

I wasn't trying to get something for free, I offered to pay fair and square but the deal I was offered was accept a reconditioned unit AND wait up to ten days for it (which is after I will have left for the event). Makes you wonder if they merely swap one model for another why on earth it takes 10 days!

However, in the circumstances of this interaction with Garmin I found them unhelpful and was extremely disappointed that they forced me to look elsewhere ... what is wrong with telling others that there are other places out there that do care about their customers and can turn your own gear round, repaired in a couple of days?

:anitongue:

Yup, you are probably right just really unlucky with this one.

Glad every thing worked out well in the long run

Have a 'mega' event ,shame I cannot be there as well .

Just thought I'd throw this one in regarding the USA end of Garmin.

I brought a Vista HCx from Amazon and after about 6 weeks, it suddenly wouldn't acquire any satellites.

I emailed Tech Support USA with the details and the first response I got was an email with a software update.

That didn't work as it would freeze part way through loading, so I called them. The next guy then gave me the key push combination to cause a hard reset on the Unit and remotely looked at my computer to decide that my chip set was incompatible with the update. So I said I would try it on the laptop a bit later. But it still didn't work, so I called back.

I then got through to No3 who had me check several screens on the unit to find that whilst my 'Software Version' was 2.60, my 'GPS SW' Version was at 0.00. Seemingly the software you can update is the former only and this Unit had erased itself of the actual GPS software rather than the 'operating' software. Something he said he had only heard of a few rare times. It was a definite return to them and I had 2 choices:

Return it and they would send a replacement...

or

I could pay for a new one for immediate dispatch and once the old one was received they would refund within 48 hours.

For several reasons I chose the latter option and my new unit arrived in 3 days by UPS.

They provided pre-paid UPS for the old one (UPS drop-off points are very common over here) and I got my refund of the replacement charge within 2 days of it getting to them.

So a little problematic, needing to contact 3 people before finding the one who really knew it, but all fine in the end. And the replacement still works!