Geocaching at work..

Followers 1

I work at a residential treatment facility for kids with mental health issues and during the summer we have week long mini camps and I want to do geocaching.

Can I create an account and submit caches that wont get reviewed/published (not for public usage) on our private land so the kids can experience geo caching?

The reason I want to generate a cache page is so I can print it and have it look "official" with the co-ordinates and star ratings and such. Can they just not be reviewed? I cant have them listed publicly as we cant have non employees on our campus.

I also plan later in the week taking the kids that are eligable off campus to geocache in the area so the on campus hunt would be kinda like training.

Also can I bypass the cache proximity guideline as our area is pretty small.

If you guys have any other input or ideas that would be fantastic.

Keystone any official advice about the "fake" account or any other way I can do this?

Can I create an account and submit caches that wont get reviewed/published (not for public usage) on our private land so the kids can experience geocaching?

You cannot have temporary caches listed as real ones with their own webpage nor can individual geocaches be closer than 0.1 mile. Maybe you can figure out how to make one permanent one as a multi-cache with many components. Can a local geocacher maintain it or even take over ownership of a multi-cache that you create?

-it

Can I create an account and submit caches that wont get reviewed/published (not for public usage) on our private land so the kids can experience geocaching?

You cannot have temporary caches listed as real ones with their own webpage nor can individual geocaches be closer than 0.1 mile. Maybe you can figure out how to make one permanent one as a multi-cache with many components. Can a local geocacher maintain it or even take over ownership of a multi-cache that you create?

-it

I understand the rules but I was wondering if i can "bend" them because I dont even want teh caches listed publicly as I cant have non-employees coming onto our property at work. I have placed caches with my personal account but I want to create a seperate account to use solely for teaching the kids about caching.

Yes--you can do this!

Go ahead and make the page but make sure you do not check the box that says "Yes, this cache is currently active"

After you hit the submit button, it should say in red letters:

This cache has not been reviewed yet. Once it is published, it will be listed on the site. Check the logs to see if the reviewers have left a note for this listing.

The reviewers will not see this listing until you activate it.

This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.

Many people make a page like this to test code writing or to store geocoins they don't want on their account page. The reviewer will not be notified about the cache until you check the box that says it's active.

Then you can print out your offical looking page.

I work at a residential treatment facility for kids with mental health issues and during the summer we have week long mini camps and I want to do geocaching.

Can I create an account and submit caches that wont get reviewed/published (not for public usage) on our private land so the kids can experience geo caching?

The reason I want to generate a cache page is so I can print it and have it look "official" with the co-ordinates and star ratings and such. Can they just not be reviewed? I cant have them listed publicly as we cant have non employees on our campus.

I also plan later in the week taking the kids that are eligable off campus to geocache in the area so the on campus hunt would be kinda like training.

If you guys have any other input or ideas that would be fantastic.

Keystone any official advice about the "fake" account or any other way I can do this?

Yes, definitely use Neos2's idea ... if you don't check the box, then the cache is not reviewed ... however, do keep in mind that when printing off the page, the cache name would have a horizontal line over it since it is not currently active. Glad to hear that you're introducing geocaching to kids: great to get started young :rolleyes:

Followers 1