Waiting for permission

Crid

I'm all set to place my first geocache, which I'm actually quite excited about. I have the location selected, the coordinates grabbed, the cache container all stocked up and ready to roll...

Five weeks ago I emailed the people who manage the land (but don't own it), asking how I go about getting permission to place a cache there. I told them exactly where I wanted to place it (including a description of how to get there). There are other caches already in the area.

After three weeks I had had no response (not even an acknowledgement), so I sent a second email chasing the first one and asking if I had emailed the correct people to ask (which might have explained the lack of reply). The following day I got an email back apologising for the delay and saying they were contacting the land owner and Natural England (?) to ask permission, but that they didn't think there would be a problem.

That was two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything further yet. I'm trying not to be too impatient (difficult given that it will be my first cache). But how long should I leave it before chasing again? I know that some of these organisations seem to move at a snail's pace when it comes to this sort of thing, but five weeks does seem quite slow. On the other hand, I'm worried that if I chase too much they may get fed up with me and say no just to make me go away.

On a related note, I've got my cache set up on GC.com, but not submitted for review yet (so that I could get the ID for the container). Is there a time limit for how long a cache can remain unsubmitted? (ie. if they take too long to get back to me with permission, will I have to resubmit the cache and print up a new insert with a new ID?)

There is not a time limit about your cache - it will not expire. Don't worry about that.

As for permission - try a letter. I'm not saying it will work wonders as you wait for the cogs of red tape to slowly turn (I'm waiting for one up here) but a letter is more likely to be formally acknowledged. Its a legal document and most organisations be it public or private do have formal procedures for dealing with letters. E-mails - may well be dealt by the work experience kid who said he liked playing games on his playstation at weekends! :)

On a related note, I've got my cache set up on GC.com, but not submitted for review yet (so that I could get the ID for the container). Is there a time limit for how long a cache can remain unsubmitted? (ie. if they take too long to get back to me with permission, will I have to resubmit the cache and print up a new insert with a new ID?)

Whilst your cache won't "expire", if it's been set up for too long without going public it won't get added to the new caches notification that premium members get - and it won't come out in the weekly notification as a new cache either..... not sure what the time limit is though!

Whilst your cache won't "expire", if it's been set up for too long without going public it won't get added to the new caches notification that premium members get - and it won't come out in the weekly notification as a new cache either..... not sure what the time limit is though!

Not even if you change the 'placed on' date to the current day just before it is sent for publishing?

Not even if you change the 'placed on' date to the current day just before it is sent for publishing?

It is possible to change the "Placed" date before sending the page off for review. I did for my cache.

I try and catch as many caches as possible which do not have the placement date within the last 24 hours and edit it to the current date. Some do slip through but not many :)

Caches show up as new for Seven days from the submission date [the date you submit it to the server and not into the Reviewer Queue], so if that's longer than 7 days ago it won't show up. I can't comment on Instant Notifications, but I'd presume that's triggered by the Publication Log.

Crid as for your cache submit it as a holding cache, just post a note asking for it not to be published as your waiting for permission for it. I'll review it and then Temporarily Disable which secures the location for you.

If the Land Manager is referring the cache to Natural England, chances are the location is a protected one, possibly a Nature Reserve or a SSSI. In which case Natural England have Legal Oversight over the area, as the Regulatory Body for the Government.

Natural England and most probably the Landowner, will have to prioritise their workloads. Which means whilst the cache is very important to you, to them it will not be high priority. But your request will be attended to, if you've not heard anything back after 8 weeks. I'd suggest contacting the land manager and seeing if you can get contact details for the persons contacted at the Landowner and Natural England's offices

Crid as for your cache submit it as a holding cache, just post a note asking for it not to be published as your waiting for permission for it. I'll review it and then Temporarily Disable which secures the location for you.

Thanks Deceangi. I assume the cache will still be invisible at that point?

If the Land Manager is referring the cache to Natural England, chances are the location is a protected one, possibly a Nature Reserve or a SSSI. In which case Natural England have Legal Oversight over the area, as the Regulatory Body for the Government.

Natural England and most probably the Landowner, will have to prioritise their workloads. Which means whilst the cache is very important to you, to them it will not be high priority. But your request will be attended to, if you've not heard anything back after 8 weeks. I'd suggest contacting the land manager and seeing if you can get contact details for the persons contacted at the Landowner and Natural England's offices

Thanks for the explanation and advice. I'll give them another 3 weeks before pestering them again. I have submitted my cache with a reviewer note attached as suggested.