COINTEST: ACTUAL COINTEST HAS ARRIVED

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

it would be nice to know if we did or didn't get it right so we can spend more time or can sit back and not worry about it. just a thought :sad:

I have to agree with this.... (Obviously, I recognize that WSR has the right th run the cointest any way he wants! :sad: )

Of course, not letting people know prevents anyone from cheating, unless they were completely confident of their answer...

it would be nice to know if we did or didn't get it right so we can spend more time or can sit back and not worry about it. just a thought :huh:

I have to agree with this.... (Obviously, I recognize that WSR has the right th run the cointest any way he wants! :lol: )

Of course, not letting people know prevents anyone from cheating, unless they were completely confident of their answer...

The idea was to prevent those with the answer from giving it out, but I'm not going to be too concerned with that going forward. I'm on the road in a Big tTruck, and do not have steady access to the internet, so sometimes I can spend hours in the forums, and other times only minutes. I am waiting for delivery of a special batch of coins and after I have them I'll be making some adjustments that I hope will solve the fizzle I've seen in this cointest. I'll try to make it move more quickly

OK, I know this CPOINTEST has slowed down quite a bit. This is a result partly of the busy work opace lately, and other things. I'll post the list of correct answers later, and a winner for this rouns, but for now I'll give you the correct answer.

The correct answer is...

Barstow, California

Since I had very few correct answers, I may also include those who said...

Mojave Desert, California

I had a chance to meet RedShoesGirl for coffee in the town where she lives, since I was traveling through there. I drive the Big Truck all over the US, so I'll be contacting some others of you as I travel, and we'll see if we can make a meeting. I may even have a special coin made for "Face to Face Trades"??

OK, I know this CPOINTEST has slowed down quite a bit. This is a result partly of the busy work opace lately, and other things. I'll post the list of correct answers later, and a winner for this rouns, but for now I'll give you the correct answer.

The correct answer is...

Barstow, California

Since I had very few correct answers, I may also include those who said...

Mojave Desert, California

I had a chance to meet RedShoesGirl for coffee in the town where she lives, since I was traveling through there. I drive the Big Truck all over the US, so I'll be contacting some others of you as I travel, and we'll see if we can make a meeting. I may even have a special coin made for "Face to Face Trades"??

That one took quite a bit of detective work, even with the hints placed in the forum! :o

Duh! Never would have thought of that!

gosh, and i thought it was SO obvious. two clue, roswell and red shoes. say it out loud and voila. oh ok, maybe only i thought it was obvious. :D

lara

LOL I was talking out loud telling myself what I saw in the picture--red shoes on a woman and then it hit me like a ton of bricks!! Yes it was obvious!! But the next thing was to be sure of the city since you list Mojave Desert, CA and he wanted the name of an actual city. You do a lot of caches near Barstow and it is on a major east west highway and he is a trucker and voila!! :D:D

Thank you all for your patience. I have had a busy time at work, and have spent a lot of time in places where I could only get limited access to the internet. I need to mention first that I have some packages ready to go to some international winners, but have not been able to get to a Post Office with them. I have not forgotten. Also, I have some winners on a list, but need to wait to send the prizes until I retreive them from my mailbox. Lastly, I know that this COINTEST has had a little fizzle in it, and some players have lost interest, so I will be making some changes that will have it moving more quickly, but I am reluctant to make the changes before I have the special prize coins in hand. After I pick them up, look for a faster pace, and maybe some new players. I'll be posting notes for the watchers of my other games and inviting them all here to play along with us.

I have decided that since I said I wanted a City and State, I will only draw a winner from those who said Barstow, CA.

"Mojave Desert" is a very large region, and not a City (or if there is a City called Mojave Desert, that's not where we were.

the correct answers, in order were:

1.LadyBee4T

2.OwlCacher

3.dimkasmir

4.DaFunkyFrogs

5.GATOULIS

6.PastorJon

7.PengoFamily

8.Jan and the Percey Boys

9.kehunt64

10.PengoFamily

And the number drawn is 35, making Jan and the Percey Boys the winners for this round.

the correct answers, in order were:

1.LadyBee4T

2.OwlCacher

3.dimkasmir

4.DaFunkyFrogs

5.GATOULIS

6.PastorJon

7.PengoFamily

8.Jan and the Percey Boys

9.kehunt64

10.PengoFamily

And the number drawn is 35, making Jan and the Percey Boys the winners for this round.

Congrats ;)

I managed to find your first and last name and your city....

Google is an amazing tool! :huh:

Yes, it is. another thing amazing is for those of us whi have a very unique username here, a google search will pertain almost exclusively to that individual.

If I google "WRITE SHOP ROBERT" or "WRITESHOPROBERT" almost every single one of the returns (thousands?)will pertain to me.

What comes up when you put "PastorJon", and what are those guys stealing your name for, or they you?

What comes up when you put "PastorJon", and what are those guys stealing your name for, or they you?

Hmmm... Let's see...

Joomla, Groundspeak, virtuemart, amateur-hikers, blogger, and FifteenMinutesofFiction are all me...

those other PastorJon's must all be imposters... :huh:

(Oh...and email sent on this round of the cointest)

Hmmm... Let's see...

Joomla, Groundspeak, virtuemart, amateur-hikers, blogger, and FifteenMinutesofFiction are all me...

those other PastorJon's must all be imposters... :huh:

(Oh...and email sent on this round of the cointest)

How can you be sure that YOU are not the imposter. I'm sure they're all the genuine article on someones eyes.

Well, I just keep coming up with new twists in this game I guess. I have received several good answers, and two that were not close enough. For those who have sent in answers, why don't we have some discussion of the tools and methods you used, so those who are still puzzled can have some path to follow. Try to avoid spelling out any specifics though, just the method, not the particular clues or the answer. I hope you all are still enjoying this game. one answer i got was a few thousand miles off, so try some alternate spellings of the city name and you will be able to get closer.

I asked for coordinates on this one because just naming the city or county was too easy. Close enough coordinates are only a few clicks away. I'm thinking...about 1/4 mile is plenty close enough. In Shutterspot, one must get within 100 meters(usually with a visit to the site), so I'm extending that out a little.

Well, I just keep coming up with new twists in this game I guess. I have received several good answers, and two that were not close enough. For those who have sent in answers, why don't we have some discussion of the tools and methods you used, so those who are still puzzled can have some path to follow. Try to avoid spelling out any specifics though, just the method, not the particular clues or the answer. I hope you all are still enjoying this game. one answer i got was a few thousand miles off, so try some alternate spellings of the city name and you will be able to get closer.

I asked for coordinates on this one because just naming the city or county was too easy. Close enough coordinates are only a few clicks away. I'm thinking...about 1/4 mile is plenty close enough. In Shutterspot, one must get within 100 meters(usually with a visit to the site), so I'm extending that out a little.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I gave a correct answer... although I suppose I might have spelled something wrong, and landed on the wrong side of the globe! :)

It's hard to talk about the method without talking about specifics...

Let me talk about this one instead: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3553368 (since it's all over!)

In that puzzle, I couldn't quite read the last line... but I certainly could read "living memorial sculpture garden." So, I went to images.google.com, and typed in "living memorial sculpture garden." Within the first row of images, I saw an image that looked just like the image in the picture.

Supposing that you'd asked for coordinates on that one (you didn't), I would have gone to maps.google.com, and looked for "living memorial sculpture garden." Once I was satisfied that it was the same place, there's a map-overlay that will give you latitude and longitude for any point on the map.

(I'm hoping that was the sort of explanation you were looking for... send me a message if you want me to edit something out! :huh: )

Edited by PastorJon

Email sent. Thanks for that link, Theotokos.

I should have mentioned that on the GPS coordinate conversion site, there is a section called GPS which will give you the GPS coordinates rather than the Decimal Degrees that you get from multimap

Edited by Theotokos

Here's how I went about it. I first tried to figure out the clue from the picture. Then looked it up on a map--any old map--to see if WSR might have driven there. After plotting his routes form the other cointests I had a pretty good idea too. After I confirmed that, I googled the location to find the coordinates. I think I found them in wikipedia......

Email sent with answer but probably too late

After yours there's still room for 8 answers. There aren't very many people playing this game anymore. I'm hoping to make it more fun(with a quicker pace) after the coins are in my hand.

Glad I made it in, now I just have to cross my fingers that my number gets picked :lol:

I have tried to not give too many hints or verify too many answers

but these people might want to give it another shot,

everyone else who has answered is on the list!

Geo-Gophers, DaFunkyFrogs, SCYoli.

One of you was thousands of miles off!

It was probably me who was waaaaay off but I've submitted another one and if this isnt right I will just stick to putting in coordinates and following my GPS and hoping I dont fall off a cliff. :lol:

I have tried to not give too many hints or verify too many answers

but these people might want to give it another shot,

everyone else who has answered is on the list!

Geo-Gophers, DaFunkyFrogs, SCYoli.

One of you was thousands of miles off!

It was probably me who was waaaaay off but I've submitted another one and if this isnt right I will just stick to putting in coordinates and following my GPS and hoping I dont fall off a cliff. :)

No it was probably me lol....email sent for one last shot at it.

Ali :):lol::huh: