Grand Rapids, MI Area Caches

Put 'Thirty Eighth President' on your list. No visit to GR is complete without going to the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum and visiting the final resting place of President Ford. The cache is on the Museum property so you might as well get a find in while you are there. Muggles abound, so be careful!

I will be in the Grand Rapids area in August and looking for some "Must-Do" caches. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Depends on what you like... Climbing trees?? Challenging multis??? Neat hikes???

A recent favorite of mine: GC1BQ74 (anything by the 2HH, they offer challenging, challenging multis

If you in the area 8/23 check out 'age of discovery' GC1BXVK, the caches in that park are good ones too.

From your profile it looks like you enjoy a pretty well rounded bunch of cache hides!

I guess it depends on how long you're going to be here, where you're staying, and what you do or don't have available for transportation.

I'm with Flipflops on the Two Happy Hikers caches for multis. Good every time, but you may want to have a local cacher accompany you to make sure you don't DNF them (very creative hides). Here is a link to their hides.

We have a Wherigo cache here in the metro area. Again from your profile I see you don't have one of these yet. Here is the link. It is disabled right now because of some local flooding but should be back up by your visit. If you don't have the hardware for this cache the cache owner has been known to accompany cachers and let them us his Colorado.

I have a bookmark list of downtown caches that are easily accessable by foot for geocachers visiting the area for conventions. It has a nice mix of caches, although most are single stage. Also has two earthcaches of mine. Here is a link.

If you have a small block of time you should try and head to the Lake Michigan shore. The largest body of fresh water in the world, some world class sand dunes, and August temps will make for a great caching experience. If you are into challenging hides Micky and Goofy have some great ones - link. Here is a very old Michigan cache in the Muskegon area from 2001 that is in the dunes (not a hard walk) - Blockhouse.

Give us a shout via our profile just before you come into town and we'll see how our schedules match up. It's amazing how we can find a little time to meet a new cacher, grab a few caches, and maybe even a micro brew!

Deane (DeRock)

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I am also from the greater Grand Rapids area. Im back and forth between Allendale and Lowell all the time. Any more great must find caches. I love a good hike, dont like micros so much. Also, do you know any good places I can kick it in 4x4 and do a little off roading. It would be fun to just go 4x4'in or 4x4'in while cahcing. Let me know if youve got any good ones!