Any Recommended Map For EtrexVistaHCX NY

KAMPSWAS

I picked up a Etrex Vista HCX- I have yet to explore it and understand though I see that people add maps to them. I live in upstate NY I am looking for any recommendations on TOPO maps to load.

Thanks

Maps are proprietary to the manufacturer. If you have a Garmin, you need Garmin maps. If you want full coverage, and not just parks, you'll need Topo U.S. 2008.

There is a way to load other maps, but it takes a good deal of technical know how and time. The easiest way to do it is just get the Mapsource Topo package from Garmin.

Don't let the list price on Garmin's website scare you. If you shop around you can knock $40 bucks off the price

Edited by briansnat

I picked up a Etrex Vista HCX- I have yet to explore it and understand though I see that people add maps to them. I live in upstate NY I am looking for any recommendations on TOPO maps to load.

Thanks

Maps are proprietary to the manufacturer. If you have a Garmin, you need Garmin maps. If you want full coverage, and not just parks, you'll need Topo U.S. 2008.

OK another Newbie question....

I actually have the Topo US 2008.

Now what do I do with it?

It is on my computer, that much I got.

How can it help me? How do I use it?

I know silly to buy at the time, but having bought the GPS I was on a roll....

:)

You can use it to foexample load GPX files onto it. When you do you can check out cache locations in 3D view for one. You can also overlay satellite photos on the topo and get a very realistic view of a cache location.

To use this feature you need to set up and run Pocket Queries. You will however have to become a Premium Member to do that. But hey, what's $30 when you're on a roll...? :)

Also, if you load Topo USA on a laptop, load a Pocket Query GPX, connect your GPS to it and take it with you in the caryou'll have the ultimate caching machine!

Just don't drive and mess with the laptop at the same time....!