My GPSr is not playing nice.

Y2KOTA

My Garmin GPS III is not receiving the sats at all. It's like it's not getting any signal from the antenna. I tried both of the antennas I have. The stock stick and a powered magnetic antenna that can placed on the roof of the car. Everything thing points to the BNC contact on the back of the GPSr. Or its in the unit its self. Anyone have any ideas? Everything works fine, the Sat page shows sats but no bars for the sats.

Garmin web site says "Repair services no longer available." for there GPS III :D

Or worse case, Anyone have a cheap GPSr i can buy ???

My Garmin GPS III is not receiving the sats at all. It's like it's not getting any signal from the antenna. I tried both of the antennas I have. The stock stick and a powered magnetic antenna that can placed on the roof of the car. Everything thing points to the BNC contact on the back of the GPSr. Or its in the unit its self. Anyone have any ideas? Everything works fine, the Sat page shows sats but no bars for the sats.

Garmin web site says "Repair services no longer available." for there GPS III :o

OK first off, how did you determined that it is the BNC socket on the GPS? Were you using it one day and all of a sudden you lost the signal but couldn't get a signal or was the unit not used for a couple of months and when you now turn it on you don't see anything after a couple of minuets?

You might just need to download new almanac data from the sats.

Witch GPS is the "V"?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=155

Garmin web site says "Repair services no longer available." for there GPS III :D

OK first off, how did you determined that it is the BNC socket on the GPS? Were you using it one day and all of a sudden you lost the signal but couldn't get a signal or was the unit not used for a couple of months and when you now turn it on you don't see anything after a couple of minuets?

You might just need to download new almanac data from the sats.

Witch GPS is the "V"?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=155

How or where do I download new almanac data from the sats?

The signal seemed to fad over a 2 or 3 day time frame.

OK, about the "V", That would be a step up for me. A baby step at least :o

That unit has volatile memory. It requires a constant current, or it will lose everything except what was burned in at the factory. It's got a lithium button battery inside, to provide current when there aren't batteries in the unit. That battery has about a 10 year lifespan. I'm sure your unit is at least that old. That means you're losing your almanac data every time the 4 AA batteries run down, or your take them out of the unit for more than a minute or two.

Solution? Always keep good batteries in it, and when you swap them out, do it quickly. Or you can try to open up the unit and solder in a new battery.

That unit has volatile memory. It requires a constant current, or it will lose everything except what was burned in at the factory. It's got a lithium button battery inside, to provide current when there aren't batteries in the unit. That battery has about a 10 year lifespan. I'm sure your unit is at least that old. That means you're losing your almanac data every time the 4 AA batteries run down, or your take them out of the unit for more than a minute or two.

Solution? Always keep good batteries in it, and when you swap them out, do it quickly. Or you can try to open up the unit and solder in a new battery.

Good thinking. Its hold all my waypoints , routes and stuff fine. Thats with or without any batteries.