Many Hides

Jozii

I've made five different hides in my area, even though I haven't been geocaching for more than a couple of months. I know several more interesting locations in the area, and would like to make more hides, but my problem is that I've decided to move abroad during the summer.

I do have friends where I live nore who could help maintaining my caches since I'll be gone. However, I wouldn't want to bother them too much with it. So my question is, during a year (all four seasons), how many times do you usually have to maintain your caches?

I mean, you probably wouldn't have to check that often if at all, as other geocaches will report missing or damaged caches, right? So when there is a problem, I would be notified (and I could then pass the problem on to a friend who could fix it, assuming they agree on this of course). But does it often happen that caches need maintenance? (Obviously, it depends on the quality of the container, but on average, in your own experience...)

Any help is appreciated :D

Very responsible of you to find somebody to maintain your caches while away!!

Maintenance is a trickly thing - depends a lot on the location and traffic. I have some caches that I literally have not been to in over 2 years. Others I have to visit every 4 to 5 months. In town and close to town caches need looking after much more than those way off down seldom used trails.

The real issue here isn't so much a regular maintenance schedule but the timeliness of your response when an issue arises.

The important question is: Will you or a representative get to a cache to check on it in short order when a Needs Maintenance note or several DNFs in a row get logged?

I've thought of that too, but figured a week or so is within an accepted timeframe, and that shouldn't be too hard to achieve (an e-mail can be sent of and received so easily :D ). Only problem would be if the friend is out of town for a longer time, but then again that could happen to you if you're the one who must do the maintenance work, so I figured that wouldn't be a problem.

Ad to this that I live in a sparsely populated area (not exactly "off trail", but not a major city either). I'm happy if my caches get one find/week, and neither is subject to high muggle traffic.

Based on the asnwers so far, I'd say I don't have to worry too much. But still, even if my old caches are "secured", would it be pushing it to place more, even if I know I'll move away?

If it gets to be a hassle for your designated maintainer while you are gone you can always archive it.

I have one about 45 minutes from home which was an utter nightmare to maintain initially but it is virtually maintenance free now.

If it was me, I would set the new caches in a fairly remote spot. You might also take your maintenance prospect caching with you. Maybe they will get hooked.

How long are you going to be gone, in months? It sounds like you're saying that it will be just for the summer. That doesn't seem very long, so I don't see a problem, especially if the caches are more remote like you seem to indicate.

On the other hand, if you're not going to be gone for very long, you might just want to wait until you're back to place them. The spot will either still be there, or another cacher will place a cache there. Either way, there will be a cache there for you to enjoy! :D

No, I'll be gone for far longer than just a few months. The future is uncertain, but if all goes well, it will be permanent.

The ability to archive is of course good, I never thought of that. I doubt it will become a major problem for my "designated maintainer", but if it does, there's always that last resort.

Thanks again for all the asnwers! Sounds like maintenance isn't as big a problem as I first thought it would be :D

No, I'll be gone for far longer than just a few months. The future is uncertain, but if all goes well, it will be permanent.

The ability to archive is of course good, I never thought of that. I doubt it will become a major problem for my "designated maintainer", but if it does, there's always that last resort.

Thanks again for all the asnwers! Sounds like maintenance isn't as big a problem as I first thought it would be :D

My thought is that if you are moving away for a long time that could be turned into permanent, don't hide any new ones. There is always newbies struggling to find hiding spots coming into the sport, chances are someone will find those interesting spots.

Maintenance can vary so much. Could be someone muggles your caches right away, and you start getting DNFs could be they last for years with no problems. There is no way to know. I just think it is a bad precedence to go hide them and then leave forever. If you do archive then you have litter some place that you are unable to pick up. If there is a local person that can maintain them, let them be under that person's name, so if there is problems, questions, etc a local person can answer them.

Even though this is a bit different situation, it has a lot of similarities to a "vacation cache" which is heavily frowned on. Where someone puts a cache someplace and then leaves that place forever. I agree with the last poster, if/when you do come back, hide them at that time.

Edited by starscream2

I generally check on my urban hides after two DNFs. I try to address the issue within the week. Some urban hides go missing more often than others; sometimes it takes time and experience to know where not to place them.

That has been my rule from the start. Now I only have 25 or so hides...mostly within the small city limits where I live, but when I get 2 dnf's I check on it and have something done within a week.

I generally check on my urban hides after two DNFs. I try to address the issue within the week. Some urban hides go missing more often than others; sometimes it takes time and experience to know where not to place them.
That has been my rule from the start. Now I only have 25 or so hides...
ONLY have 25 or so hides...? Do you feel you NEED more?
That has been my rule from the start. Now I only have 25 or so hides...
ONLY have 25 or so hides...? Do you feel you NEED more?

Many Dallas area cachers have HUNDREDS of hides. I am one of the noobs with less than +/-500 finds and +/-25 hides (2 multi's and the rest standard hides).

I feel it is our duty to return to the GC community in a quality way... sort of like "take a penny, leave a penny" at a store. Just my .02 .