Electronic log

I was thinking of doing a cache with an electronic log. IE a thumb drive or something where people can connect to their laptops, Add thier Avitar or any other jpg that would server as a signature, then place it back in the cache?

Keeping the question of keeping it dry out of the picture, is this feasible?

Edited by crosschk

The idea is kinda neat - but as interesting as it sounds, and as much as I love my computers - I'm NOT gonna haul my lappy out with me. Part of the reason I wanted to do this was to unchain myself from my computers..

Now maybe a small SD card, where people could stick it into their digital cameras and add something....

Edited by derangedlunatech

The idea is kinda neat - but as interesting as it sounds, and as much as I love my computers - I'm NOT gonna haul my lappy out with me. Part of the reason I wanted to do this was to unchain myself from my computers..

Now maybe a small SD card, where people could stick it into their digital cameras and add something....

Thats an Idea to but sadly we do not have uniform memory cards in our cameras.

That why I thought a laptop would be good, but your right the idea of dragging another piece of equipment might make this option not a good one.

I have another idea but I need a hardware and software engineer to make it work. :D

I was thinking of doing a cache with an electronic log. IE a thumb drive or something where people can connect to their laptops, Add thier Avitar or any other jpg that would server as a signature, then place it back in the cache?

From the TOS:

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook, scroll or other type of log for geocachers to record their visit.

Some thoughts:

How many people would be willing to take their computer to a cache? Personally? I would never, ever take my computer with me to a cache. Ever.

How many people are computer literate enough to understand what they were supposed to do with your thumb drive once they opened your cache and found nothing but the thumb drive? Have you read the Getting Started forum? Just entering coordinates into your GPS is a major issue for some people.

How are you going to keep your thumb drive IN the cache? "Hey, look, a thumb drive! I'm gonna trade this shiny lame' belt for it!" Woo hoo! (Heck, people walk off with the actual paper log-books more often than you would think!)

There is a rather large faction of cachers who cache with nothing but their GPS and the information they move to it through GSAK (or other methods)... those of us who cache like that would not be prepared to 'log' your cache. (And might even be a wee bit upset to go out and look for it, find it, and then realize the ALR prevents them from doing so.)

Because your cache requires special equipment to log it might be rated inappropriately and/or you would have to classify it as a 'mystery' cache due to the ALR (additional logging requirements).

That is, if you can get it past The Cache Gods since it won't have a paper log inside of the container. (Good luck on that.)

Don't get me wrong, I completely support the idea that not every cache should be log-able by every cacher. 100%. I just think the execution of this one might be a little tricky... and a lot of people would CHOOSE not to log it or be unprepared for how you would have to log it.

But... I don't think you'd get this one off the drawing room floor (although I perfectly accept that someone might have already done this somewhere!)

michelle

I won't plug anything into any of my computers if I don't know what is on it, so I wouldn't do this even IF I had a computer with me. Which I wouldn't. Unfortunately this seems like one of those "wouldn't it be cool" ideas that probably won't work in the real world.

There would be a paper log as well. All the normal parts of the cache would be there, just a second way to say you were there. Most people can not afforsd to have custom coins or even sig items made. this would be another way of putting somethign more personal then a signed log.

And if you had 1 or 1000 of these to "Sign" it would not cost you anyting more

In another note, the amount of paper used may not be significant, but it could help reduce paper waste and the no signing due to wet logs problem.

Here's something I would consider. I've seen an old cache that used a tape recorder as the logbook. I enjoyed being able to go back and listen to audio logs left by other finders. Not that it would fly with the current interpretation of the guidelines- you'd probably need a paper log, too. There are also caches out there that include one of those little memo recorders in addition to the paper log. You sign the cache, then leave a 30-second audio message for the next finder.

Edited by DavidMac

Here's something I would consider. I've seen an old cache that used a tape recorder as the logbook. I enjoyed being able to go back and listen to audio logs left by other finders. Not that it would fly with the current interpretation of the guidelines- you'd probably need a paper log, too. There are also caches out there that include one of those little memo recorders in addition to the paper log. You sign the cache, then leave a 30-second audio message for the next finder.

That would be kind of cool. I would do that since it wouldn't require me to have any extra equipment or put anything at risk.

That would be kind of cool. I would do that since it wouldn't require me to have any extra equipment or put anything at risk.

I'd sign a paper logbook...

michelle

michelle

I was only thinking of it as in addition to the paper log book. I guess I need more coffee before I reply to anything else. :D The other thing I thought of after I posted is the tape recorder would allow people to record bad stuff and it would also allow people to erase. Both poor behavior, but both would almost certainly happen.

I would not take a laptop to a cache, especially just to copy an avatar file to your flash drive. I don't even have an avatar file on a laptop that could be copied. I also would not connect a flash drive/thumb drive that has been on other unknown computers to my computer.

michelle

I was only thinking of it as in addition to the paper log book. I guess I need more coffee before I reply to anything else. :D The other thing I thought of after I posted is the tape recorder would allow people to record bad stuff and it would also allow people to erase. Both poor behavior, but both would almost certainly happen.

My response was just to indicate the level I'm willing to go to to 'log the cache'.

I won't be hooking up my 'puter and leaving an avatar of any kind (virus issues notwithstanding), nor would I leave a photograph (in the past I would have used a cache camera... but a digital, high-q, file?! Probably not then, and definitely not now.)

But would add, that even though you've indicated people would record 'bad' stuff and erase... that type of action occurs in the paper logs as well. I removed a number of pages from a log-book that had been found by a group of 'young men' who were 'not cachers'. I was pretty sure children would never travel with their 'rents to find this particular cache, but... I took em out anyway. (After a good laugh, really.)

By all means, have more coffee. It's not necessary (based on your responses) but it's early and I'm not sure you can have too much before... oh, about 5pm in my world.

:D

michelle

I've tossed around the idea of using an older (cheaper) USB drive as a travel bug. I finally realized that it would probably be stolen or damaged. Not to mention people that would use it and infect it with viri and people that would not use it for fear of the same.

I like the idea of the memo recorder- if the batteries are kept charged. I haven't seen one of those for under $50 (but I haven't looked very hard either.)

Edited by Castle Mischief

I kinda had sense for the nature of responses you would get with this idea. Overall, people tend to not like the idea of additional electronics required to log a cache. I hope that you won't keep this thinking outside the box on your cache hides.

My advice is to supply any electronics and bullet proof them as much as possible before leaving them out in the wild. I am always amazed at the stuff you can pick up for almost nothing at Salvation Army or Goodwill. Last trip, I saw at least 5 digital cameras for less than 20 bucks, a few tape recorders for less than 10. I found an old school toaster that I drug back to the lab for a cache I am working on for 2 bucks.

(1) I don't cache while carrying my laptop.

(2) I'm not connecting an unknown device to my laptop.

I won't plug anything into any of my computers if I don't know what is on it, so I wouldn't do this even IF I had a computer with me. Which I wouldn't. Unfortunately this seems like one of those "wouldn't it be cool" ideas that probably won't work in the real world.

I would be worried about a malicious cacher placing a virus or spyware on the drive before me

Ditto. Ditto.

michelle

My response was just to indicate the level I'm willing to go to to 'log the cache'.

I won't be hooking up my 'puter and leaving an avatar of any kind (virus issues notwithstanding), nor would I leave a photograph (in the past I would have used a cache camera... but a digital, high-q, file?! Probably not then, and definitely not now.)

But would add, that even though you've indicated people would record 'bad' stuff and erase... that type of action occurs in the paper logs as well. I removed a number of pages from a log-book that had been found by a group of 'young men' who were 'not cachers'. I was pretty sure children would never travel with their 'rents to find this particular cache, but... I took em out anyway. (After a good laugh, really.)

By all means, have more coffee. It's not necessary (based on your responses) but it's early and I'm not sure you can have too much before... oh, about 5pm in my world.

michelle

I have only removed someone's log from a cache page once. A local cacher had dropped the F-bomb in the paper log at the cache. Very bad form. :D Since there were other logs on the page I used my pen to make sure the particular passage was unreadable. It would be so nice if people could just be friendly and civilized. :D

I personally wouldn't enjoy it, viruses, etc... but you would need to make it an unknown cache due to the ALR. explaining the ALR on the cache page. hope the files stay 'clean'.

I would be tempted to sign my name with a pen in ascii code...

I like the idea of the memo recorder- if the batteries are kept charged. I haven't seen one of those for under $50 (but I haven't looked very hard either.)

That gave me an idea. My kids have a toy that came in a fast food kids meal that you can record audio and play it back. It will only record about 10 seconds or so. When you record something it replaces the previous recording. Toy stores probably have these as well, and they probably are inexpensive.

You could put one in a cache and ask each finder to record a message that the next finder would listen to. That person then records a new message for the next person, and so on. It wouldn't exactly be a log, but still is something electronic that finders interact with.

michelle

I have only removed someone's log from a cache page once. A local cacher had dropped the F-bomb in the paper log at the cache. Very bad form. :D Since there were other logs on the page I used my pen to make sure the particular passage was unreadable. It would be so nice if people could just be friendly and civilized. :D

I had to think about how long it's been since I've cached in your area...

Those I've removed have been from non-cachers. Normally I do not read through logbooks but there were graphics and everything! I even took photos. It didn't occur to me that that might be a little odd... but now that I think about it ... that was really odd. I guess it's a good thing I don't have them any longer. No. Really.

Speaking of 'bad form', I've noticed folks have less trouble with 'bad form' online logs than they do with 'truthful' online logs. Write borderline logs (punny... easily exchangeable good-for-bad words) online and the writer skates by, but mention any kind of 'suck' factor and a cacher is done-for.

Have we jumped the shark yet?

To the OP (to help with that): Just say no. It's a pretty creative idea, really... but the execution just isn't there, and as malicious as people can be (even cachers!) it would be quite a risk that most wouldn't take.

michelle

michelle

I had to think about how long it's been since I've cached in your area...

Those I've removed have been from non-cachers. Normally I do not read through logbooks but there were graphics and everything! I even took photos. It didn't occur to me that that might be a little odd... but now that I think about it ... that was really odd. I guess it's a good thing I don't have them any longer. No. Really.

Speaking of 'bad form', I've noticed folks have less trouble with 'bad form' online logs than they do with 'truthful' online logs. Write borderline logs (punny... easily exchangeable good-for-bad words) online and the writer skates by, but mention any kind of 'suck' factor and a cacher is done-for.

Have we jumped the shark yet?

To the OP (to help with that): Just say no. It's a pretty creative idea, really... but the execution just isn't there, and as malicious as people can be (even cachers!) it would be quite a risk that most wouldn't take.

michelle

Nope, it wasn't one of your logs! :D It was just an uncalled for rant by someone who must have been having a bad day.

Back on topic. About the only way I could see this working would be if you could monitor the cache pretty much daily to minimize the risk of some sort of digital infection. I know I wouldn't be up to that much effort.

There would be a paper log as well. All the normal parts of the cache would be there, just a second way to say you were there. Most people can not afforsd to have custom coins or even sig items made. this would be another way of putting somethign more personal then a signed log.

Not for nothing, but I consider someone taking the time to write the date, their name and hopefully a little something extra the most personal thing someone can do at a log. Sig items, coins or whatever else are not more personal than someone sitting back and writing in the log.

I would be worried about a malicious cacher placing a virus or spyware on the drive before me

Just to press home a point.

Digital Frame Virus

As that example shows, you should be much more worried about an uninformed cacher accidentally placing a virus on the drive. (Aside: you can protect your PC against 100% of all "USB" viruses, present and future, like this, and you can protect a memory stick from getting viruses put on it like this.)

But this whole thing is a very bad idea for many other reasons. Paper and pencil is pretty hard to brat on reliability, for a start.

Feasible? Yes. Publishable? No.

Previous discussion of the subject.

Edited by Prime Suspect

How about leaving an SD card, and memory stick, and XD in the cache and people can put into their camera and take a photo of themselves. Not as a logging requirement, but as a fun extra. I do not think you can get a virus in your camera by putting in a card, taking a photo and removing the card. I would do this.

As for the cards walking away, think about multi-caches that require a hike, in a well hidden area.

I think the idea is neat, but I don't think it would fly to well. I have encountered a USB stick TB where it's mission was the have photos of the cachers who found it placed on the stick. Neat idea, but if you're worried about a virus, keep the stick out.

Recently, I started working on a new cache that doesn't have a log book/sheet. Instead, it's a large board (4'x2') that each visitor signs with a permanent marker of their choice, which is located in the ammo container attached to the board. Kind of like a graffiti wall but in the middle of the woods. It's not a conventional log, but it is something different.

michelle

This would definitely be the LEAST expensive way. Considering the cost of gas is now a big enough expense for me to want to cut all the other costs I can.

Besides, we are broke enough as it is.... We have a 3 year old.

Rather than a cache, what about releasing a thumbdrive as a TB? I've seen one along those lines where movers were encouraged to add a photo to the drive before dropping it off again. Unfortunately it got lost in a muggled & archived cache before it really got going.

Doing it as a TB rather than a cache also gets around all the ALR and publication guideline problems, leaving just the matter of how much people will/won't trust an unfamiliar device, which is a personal choice matter (don't want to, don't take it...)

Beware the risk of theft though - it might be an attractive 'swap' to unscrupulous types...

michelle

This would definitely be the LEAST expensive way. Considering the cost of gas is now a big enough expense for me to want to cut all the other costs I can.

Besides, we are broke enough as it is.... We have a 3 year old.

The horror.

michelle

Actually he makes me quite proud. At age 3, GPS is in his vocabulary and he even has a few toys that he has adopted as his own personal GPSs.

When we are on the hunt he has been known to stop and point and go "That way!"

And we have only been caching since April.

hehehehe

Edited by CLV3

Someone could develop a Palm application in which an old Palm one might have laying around could be the log. The compliment would be an application which would beam a log and a "signature" from a finder's Palm to the one in the cache.

An m105 used to last about a month on a pair of AAA's. Rig up a pack of 2 pair of D's and maintenance trips would be greatly reduced.

Did they ever make a Palm that took regular batteries and had non-volatile memory?

I remember a CD cache at one time. You were supposed to add stuff to the CD...

I like the thumb-drive IDEA, but I think it better be served as a travel bug instead of a logging thing.

I never take my laptop anywhere, but I always have my Palm e2.

Good point. I was at a week long development workshop awhile back in a location that had sporadic internet access (Southern Central Africa) so there was lots of fileshariing with flash drives going on. Near the end of the week there were a few laptops with a really nasty virus on them.

I'd be wary of connecting any sort of media which may have been connected to a potentially unsecure machine. Heck, I heard something the other day that raised my computer security paranoia a notch. Apparently there was a digital picture frame that was made in China and sold in a well known big box electronics store. You know, one of those picture frames you can plug into a USB ports and send your favorite por^H^H^H geocaching photos to and watch them as a slide show. Well, this one had a little trojan horse embedded in the slideshow program that would download to your computer as soon as it was plugged in and turned on. The trojan horse would crawl the hard drive for sensitive information (credit card number, passwords, social security numbers, etc) and email them to some address in China.

Now, what would be cool would be a cache that was also a Hole in the Wall PC, but from what I've read it would be an extreme muggle cache.

I have a few risque pictures of CurmudgeonlyGal that I'd leave on the USB stick if I ever found that cache. She posed for them after I swore I'd never share them, but then she had to go and... well she knows what she did.

Give me the USB stick and I'll fill it up.