Spoiler Picture Etiquette

Noble Cachers

Was wondering what the general guidelines are with posting photos of cache locations in your log. How much are these generally considered spoilers?

Is it okay for them to show the actual cache location (maybe the tree it is hidden under)?

Or say for a clue for a multi-cache - should it be avoided showing a photo from if it reveals the answer, even it is marked as a spoiler?

I'm thinking more of the sake of the hider rather than the finder since it is really up to finder if they 'cheat' or not. But would a hider generally be annoyed if someone 'spoiled' their hiding location or one of their clues?

I understand that if the hider specifically requests that no photos are posted then it is a no, but does general geocaching etiquette mean that photos directly showing the location of the cache should be avoided??

Thanks!

I would find that so long as you put spoiler in any picture that actually has much relevance to the hiding place involving the cache, it should be fine in whatever you deem necessary. I know that some people really enjoy looking at others pictures and adventures and we shouldn't have to censor any of that just because a few people may cheat and look at the pictures. I highly doubt most of us who are actually putting the time into Geocaching would cheat and look at said pictures. :lol: I would of course respect anyone that asked me to take down a picture or comment from their cache. But would just hope it would never come to that. :lol:

By the way, I know Callum (the topic starter), if you haven't figured that out by now. And I'm posting right after him to just give my oppinion. But it's something we've been debating and would LOVE to hear other's oppinions on it. :huh:

Oh and heylo to everyone (This being my first post and all, I hope to have MANY others!)

I would find that so long as you put spoiler in any picture that actually has much relevance to the hiding place involving the cache, it should be fine in whatever you deem necessary. I know that some people really enjoy looking at others pictures and adventures and we shouldn't have to censor any of that just because a few people may cheat and look at the pictures. I highly doubt most of us who are actually putting the time into Geocaching would cheat and look at said pictures. :lol: I would of course respect anyone that asked me to take down a picture or comment from their cache. But would just hope it would never come to that. :lol:

By the way, I know Callum (the topic starter), if you haven't figured that out by now. And I'm posting right after him to just give my oppinion. But it's something we've been debating and would LOVE to hear other's oppinions on it. :huh:

Oh and heylo to everyone (This being my first post and all, I hope to have MANY others!)

Personally I think that the picture you have with the "Two Trunk Tree" is borderline approperiate.

In my humble opinion...

As far as I recall, the only photos we have posted are 'scenic views taken vaguely in the vincinity of the cache location' (I will go and check in a minute though.) And we do take photos at about 95% of our finds - sometimes quite specific photos - but those are only for our personal photo albums and memories.

The vague scenic kind are the only photos that I would feel are appropriate for a cache finder to post with their log. If it were my cache I would probably ask for any photo looking towards the cache location to be deleted, and certainly if any photo that showed more detail of the cache location or container were posted I would ask for it to be removed.

If you want to put more specific caching photos online somewhere for your friends and family to look at or what ever, you could always start a geocaching blog. There are a number of people who do this.

Annie

Welcome to the forums!

I think any information whether it be a log or photo that would considered a spoiler should only be posted by the cache owner. If you have a photo that would be considered a spoiler and want it in your album, you could post it to a personal coin or travel bug page.

Was wondering what the general guidelines are with posting photos of cache locations in your log. How much are these generally considered spoilers?

Is it okay for them to show the actual cache location (maybe the tree it is hidden under)?

Or say for a clue for a multi-cache - should it be avoided showing a photo from if it reveals the answer, even it is marked as a spoiler?

I'm thinking more of the sake of the hider rather than the finder since it is really up to finder if they 'cheat' or not. But would a hider generally be annoyed if someone 'spoiled' their hiding location or one of their clues?

I understand that if the hider specifically requests that no photos are posted then it is a no, but does general geocaching etiquette mean that photos directly showing the location of the cache should be avoided??

Thanks!

I'd say any photo that can give away the cache should be avoided. I often pose with the cache, or take a pic of my wife with it, but I move away a bit from the site and make sure there are giveaways in the photo.

Also if the container is uniquely camoflaged then you shouldn't post a photo. An ammo box, or film canister? Go ahead and post a photo, if you've seen one you've seen them all, but if it's a fake rock or fake pine cone or something else unique then you shouldn't post it.

Edited by briansnat

... on the other hand the person looking your photo sitting on a big rock doesn't know it is the one in the clue unless you say 'spooler' if I really felt a need to post a photo in which you can see the area the cache was hidden I would say in the caption something to infer the photo was taken either on the way back from finding the cache or took this photo on the way to finding the cache.

That way the only people who know it is a possible spooler is anyone who has already found the cache.

As for a photo of a person actually retrieving the cache from its hiding spot, that would be a no.

I'm mixed. 2 of our recent caches have been spoiled by images of the location. While at the time I was reading about them and looking at the image I had no clue.

Upon arrival and finding the cache, I can see it was right to the location.

So it can go both ways. Unless it says something or is super obvious, I don't know that it matters.