Hello from Newfield, NY

Kenshi Clay

Hey everybody. I guess I've been living in a cave these past few years, because I've never even HEARD OF geocaching until 2 days ago. Funny thing is that I only came across it while researching which handheld gps I was planning to buy. I live next to an 11,000 acre state forest called Connecticut Hill, and I just moved here a year ago, and figured after ill planned turkey hunts this year, that the only way to have better luck the following turkey seasons is to get to know this forest. So I was planning on using the GPS to help me in my mission to walk as much of the park as I could, and still help me get back to my car safely.

While I was reading reviews on Amazon, I kept reading "I use this gps for geocaching and its great" over and over again, until I was finally like OK, WTF IS GEOCACHING ALREADY?! then decided to wiki it, and was fascinated by it, and found how huge this world really is. My wife is now excited as well to take it up, as well as my daughter. I just checked UPS Tracking and my Garmin eTrex Venture HC was delivered today, so after I mess with it a little tonight, I will be ready to go.

Some "useless" info:

28 married 6 years, together for 8. One 5 year old daughter, one on the way in Sep. Too many hobbies to list, this will just be one more LOL. Any other questions give me a holler..but I just wanted to introduce myself.

nope..im a technophile, so i figured it out pretty easy, and the way it works, operates a lot like a pda, which i'm very used to. And the other stuff i figured out as i went on..i.e. when i tried to autoload a gpx file from geocaching.com, it told me i needed to have a program installed, got that, and now everything works permanently.

my only question i guess is that is there any way to have longer notes on the waypoints? for now i'm going to just print out the notes/clues on paper, until i hear whether or not i can have longer notes on the gps.

I already have 3 lined up for early tomorrow morning before work.

My other question is if theres any cheaper versions of topo maps out there that would work just as well w/ my venture HC, as topo USA 08. That price tag is pretty hefty.

awesome...found 2 of 3 caches i had planned today. It was awesome fun, and I'm hooked. I didnt find one because i thought itd be simple, and i tried to knock it out before work. but i got there, and found Id have to find some way to get down to the area since the road is at the top of a tall gorge. oh well i'll be back.