Can't find cache (new here)

holiday1

We are brand spanking new to geocaching. We went and looked for 2 caches near our house. Wooded area... we went twice and couldn't find anything. To tell you the truth we didn't know what we were looking for. Since it was are first one, we didn't know what type of container it is usually in?

Is it ever hanging from a tree? Buried in the ground? We didn't know whether to look up or down lol

We are hoping to do more but the kids are going to lose interest if we always come home empty handed :o

We are brand spanking new to geocaching. We went and looked for 2 caches near our house. Wooded area... we went twice and couldn't find anything. To tell you the truth we didn't know what we were looking for. Since it was are first one, we didn't know what type of container it is usually in?

Is it ever hanging from a tree? Buried in the ground? We didn't know whether to look up or down lol

We are hoping to do more but the kids are going to lose interest if we always come home empty handed :lol:

How about posting the cache names, the "GC number" on here and we'll see if we can get you any pointers. What type of GPS are you guys using?

you all have been so helpful!

(GCVHGA)

(GC12EQH)

we are using Garmin Streetpilot c330

I think we are going out tonight again at some at a local park that might not be so hard.

GCVHGA - Straight Man is a micro in the woods. According to the description it might in fact be up in a tree or similar. Reading some of the previous logs also supprt this theory. Tricky one for a first cache!

GC12EQH - Curly is a small container, typically in the size of a small tupperware. Note that there is a DNF just before your find on it, indicating there is a chance that the cache may be lost. Two DNF's in a row should trigger the cache owner to check on the cache.

I would recommend a drive down the road to "GC17FKZ Miller Ridge Elementary Cache" for your first find. This appears to be a regular size cache, typically ammo box size. It is also located from what it looks like at the edeg of the wooded area, just some 100 yards of the N Breiel Blvd. Best entry to the cache may be of Miller Rd in an open spot just of the dirt road going south. (Use Mappoint on the cache listing page and you'll see what I mean!) From there it should be some 200 yards south to the cache.

Also, make sure that your GPS is set to OFFROAD or WALKING before you try finding a cache with it. If it is set for "roadways" (or similar, not sure what it actually says on that model in the setup screen) the GPS will be optimized for finding tracks along roads and will work poorly out in the sticks! If you get seriously bitten by the sport, or even just slightly bruised, you might want to look into getting a handheld GPS since these work much better on trails.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Edited by lrosell

(GCVHGA)

(GC12EQH)

I think we are going out tonight again at some at a local park that might not be so hard.

First off you are going to have a hard time with a Street Pilot 330. The first cache you have listed is a micro cache and not the best one for you to start off with. The 2nd one sounds fairly easy, and is a small cache. Although it's possibly missing.

You'll notice at the top of every cache page there is a difficulty level from 1 to 5, 5 is the hardest. Also it shows the size of the cache in the top left by a series of red dots. the smallest dot is a micro cache. They can be very difficult to locate. The other level you see up there is the terrain difficulty 1 to 5, 5 also being the hardest.

You will want to start with level 1 caches with no more than 3 on terrain. Work your way up from there.

I would also suggest you get a cheap handheld GPS. Your Street Pilot can get you in the area, but you really need that handheld.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

(GCVHGA)

(GC12EQH)

First off you are going to have a hard time with a Street Pilot 330. The first cache you have listed is a micro cache and not the best one for you to start off with. The 2nd one sounds fairly easy, and is a small cache. Although it's possibly missing.

You'll notice at the top of every cache page there is a difficulty level from 1 to 5, 5 is the hardest. Also it shows the size of the cache in the top left by a series of red dots. the smallest dot is a micro cache. They can be very difficult to locate. The other level you see up there is the terrain difficulty 1 to 5, 5 also being the hardest.

You will want to start with level 1 caches with no more than 3 on terrain. Work your way up from there.

I would also suggest you get a cheap handheld GPS. Your Street Pilot can get you in the area, but you really need that handheld.

El Diablo

we also are having trouble finding what should be easy finds.

we have tried many PnG and 1 caches and are feeling very cache challenged

i suppose, from reading the preceding, that a garmin 200w may not be the best device to use.

we have tried close to 50 caches over the weekend and not one smiley

here are 2 easy caches both of wich were found over the last 3 days by others

GCQ6PP and GC13XCZ

we bought the device because my wife wanted one for her trip back to maine for her 500th? :) class reunion and i got to looking around and happened across geocaching, told her about it and she liked the idea so off we went with a few caches loaded thinking we'd find at least one.

wrong :D

looks like we now have to buy a second one if we want to have a chance, although our device does have the capability to switch between auto, bike and pedestrian mode.

i tried some testing of accuracy over 3 waypoints i set with it in pedestrian mode and there was some variance but not more than 20-30 feet i'd say. would a different device be any more accurate?

suggestions?

thanks!

Welcome to the Forums! :)

If the GPS unit you have is the Nuvi, this thread will be helpful for you. However, you have to become a Premium Member to get access to the more-detailed .gpx files and Pocket Queries.

There are several common things people use when hiding their caches.

-Matchsafe

-35mm Film cannister

-LockNLock container

-Tupperware

-Old Pill bottles

-Ammo Cans

-Hide A Key holders

-Bison Tubes

Often they are painted to match the earth or wrapped in Camo tape.

Don't use that as the bible, because there are many other types.

we also are having trouble finding what should be easy finds.

we have tried many PnG and 1 caches and are feeling very cache challenged

i suppose, from reading the preceding, that a garmin 200w may not be the best device to use.

I cache with a 200w, and it's not too terrible.

First off, make sure you are using the sat screen to get in close (hold down on the antenna/signal strength indicator for a few seconds). That will give precise lat/long numbers - far better than relying on the flag.

Sometimes it will be off - sometimes all GPS units will be off. Cloud cover, trees, restricted "view" such as canyons can hinder accurate readings.

A few things I note from the 2 caches you noted were:

On the first one, there is no listing of what the cache size was. You don't know if you're looking for something about the size of a pencil eraser, or a big rubbermaid storage container. Also, it was rated 2.5/2.5 - not necessarily the easiest find (especially if you don't know what you're looking for).

On the second one, it was rated 1/1, but was listed as a micro. Again, this could be from the size of a pencil eraser to the size of a small keychain pill container. Again, kinda tough to spot.

My personal suggestion - look for larger containers and easier ratings at first to get the feel for it. After a few good finds, you start to develop a sense for where it is likely (or unlikely) that a cache might be hidden. Also realize that you will have days (well, at least I do) where you could be standing in he middle of a parking lot looking for an elephant that is standing 5 feet away from you and trumpeting at you, and you still won't find it :)

you could be standing in he middle of a parking lot looking for an elephant that is standing 5 feet away from you and trumpeting at you, and you still won't find it :)

we pretty much feel like that now :D

thanks for the info guys, we'll look into it and try again.

i didn't see anything in the instructions about holding the signal icon, thanks for that tip

we pretty much feel like that now :D

thanks for the info guys, we'll look into it and try again.

i didn't see anything in the instructions about holding the signal icon, thanks for that tip

Glad I could help :)

If you "need a friend" who has one of these, feel free to contact me through the profile page, and I'll help as much as I can. I'm pretty new to this myself, but I'm learning how to make the 200w sing and dance a little bit to make caching with it a little better.

I am brand new to geocaching also. My kids gave me a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Fathers Day, and I thought I'd give it a try. Failed miserably on my first attempt (GCVGY2). I'm pretty sure I was close, but didn't find anything but a significant tick population. I will keep trying, as my daughter wants to experience it also, and it will give us an activity to do together. I am hopeful that I can do better on future efforts. Any advice would be helpful. The posts here have already helped.

I am brand new to geocaching also. My kids gave me a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Fathers Day, and I thought I'd give it a try. Failed miserably on my first attempt (GCVGY2).

GCVGY2 - South Marlatt Memorial Park is a pretty advanced cache (being difficulty 3!) for a beginner.

Nearby by is:

GCX5HG Cache Across America -- Kansas

and

GC1C69Z Rocky Ford # 1

Which might be a little easier to find.

I am brand new to geocaching also. My kids gave me a Garmin Nuvi 200 for Fathers Day, and I thought I'd give it a try. Failed miserably on my first attempt (GCVGY2). I'm pretty sure I was close, but didn't find anything but a significant tick population. I will keep trying, as my daughter wants to experience it also, and it will give us an activity to do together. I am hopeful that I can do better on future efforts. Any advice would be helpful. The posts here have already helped.

The cache you were trying to find is a difficulty 3 cache (counting the starts on top of the cache page)

I would recommend sarting out with one that have a lower rating. How about GCX5HG Cache Across America -- Kansas, just north of the one you were looking for?

It's has a difficulty rating of 1.5 and terrain 1.5. Should be a better cache to get started on! It seems to essentially be located in the same park but according to Mappoint the terrain seems a lot les dense there!

Good luck!

Welcome to the Forums! :)

If the GPS unit you have is the Nuvi, this thread will be helpful for you. However, you have to become a Premium Member to get access to the more-detailed .gpx files and Pocket Queries.

thanks for the link!

had to sign up for premium before i could use it and see if it was helpful tho, thus the delay answering.

that thread had another link for a nice little info site/tutorial that was incredibly helpful, thanks so much for all the work on that to pilotsnipes

we now feel a little better preapared for our next outing

P.S. if you don't have a premium membership it is highly recomended