Many Thanks & 1 question

I want to thank everyone for their help this past week.

I'm retiring the blue legend. Did buy the video to understand it.. watched youtube videos to set it up.. and actually found a few with it.. but it did horrible under trees.. so...

I bought the Vista HCX today on line.. stayed away for preferred photo liked suggested, and ended up buying it from PCNation. Now I have to sit and wait patiently for it come!!!

Back to youtube to see how this one works!

From the reading I've done online here.. do I have to buy the extra maps? Why? if I'm just doing simple gc at the moment... nothing more..

From the reading I've done online here.. do I have to buy the extra maps? Why? if I'm just doing simple gc at the moment... nothing more..

No, you don't have to. I cached from 2003 through 2007 without any maps on my old eTrex Venture.

When I bought a new eTrex Vista HCx I also decided to get street maps and topo maps. I've used both here and there and they've been nice to have, but since I only find 40-50 caches a year and do some hiking and a little canoe paddling I don't make heavy use of my GPS.

Definitely not "required".

Maps are in the "bells and whistles" category. NOT necessary. In the meantime, I love maps and wouldn't have a gps that I can't load maps to. That's because with my hunting and fishing (particularly fishing) the topo maps show me some ponds and rivers that I didn't know were there before. Yes I could take paper maps with me, but with the maps on the gps that's one less think i have to carry. Are they useful? Yes. Are they necessary for geocaching? Absolutely not.

Buying from PCNation you won't have to wait too long!

That's where I bought my HCx from and they were great.

I like having the maps on both of mine, makes it easier to drive there.

Find, Geocache, nearest. Oh, that one looks interesting. Go to, follow road and bing!

There's the driving directions. Unless you end up in a subdivsion behind a park! Been there, done that.