GPS for geocaching and In-car travel navigation

My parents have been exposed to geocaching by going with my family and want to get a GPS'r.

They are looking at a Garmin Nuvi 200W or tomtom for their frequent road trips. The problem is...they want to use the same device to do geocaching. I know this is possible, but probably not that easy.

Is there a device that is good for geocaching and for in-car road navigation?

They are on a budget with this idea...maybe spending 100-300 dollars.

Thanks for the help...

I use a nuvi for caching. I have found that it is great. It drives me street by street to the closest location and then I just follow the flag to the cache.

Just make sure that it has a place to enter coordinates lol

Here I am on one of our cache hunts with a new little buddy and my nuvi. As you can tell it does work off the city streets.

n19gnk.jpg

I use the Garmin etrex VistaHCX updated with the Garmin North America NT (US and Canada) maps.

This unit has excellent geocache features. While targeted toward hikers, it does have auto-routing and the ability to search for local services.

When following a route, there are no voice commands, but there is a audio signal when approaching a turn.

As long as they aren't going to be away from the vehicle for very long, since the batteries don't last as long as those in the Legend HCx or Vista HCx, and they don't get caught in a sudden rainstorm, or drop the Nuvi while fumbling with a cache container, the Nuvi 200 will work . . . :lol:

I have been out of the car for over 2 hours with my nuvi and only gone down 1 bar.

Rain might be a issue but it hasn't rained yet lol. I do carry plastic ziplock baggies.

Also once I get the general area the nuvi gets turned off and stuck in the back pack for searching. I pull it out and turn it off if I have a issue with the area of search.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the GPS and Technology forum.

We borrowed my parents TomTom XL when we started doing this.

Tonight we ran to Walmart and picked up our TomTom One XL-S on sale.

If you go in and change the units and cords, you can enter the cords manually then just drive to your location. When you get there, just tap on the sat bar, and it will bring up the cords in real time.

We decided on the TomTom because we had used my parents and it was now familiar. Plus the wife can use it when she needs to for her work. Then we can take it out caching.

Its nice and I recommend it.