What does "paperless" mean when referring to Geocacheing?

I have seen it mentioned and do not know what it is. Can some one fill me in please. Thanks.

It means not printing out paper copies of cache pages (or any other paper form) when going out caching. This means using some sort of electronic device to store cache pages or information like hints and logs, maybe even all the cache page info. Many people use a PDA and a software program to put the information on the PDA. I use my iPhone. Hope this helps.

Scott

Edited by sgarrand

I have seen it mentioned and do not know what it is. Can some one fill me in please. Thanks.

Typically when you have a device such as a PDA, Blackberry, certain cellphones or even a Garmin Colorado that allows you to download not just waypoints to a cache but also info like cache description, previous logs and hints to it.

Using such a device for caching would enable you to not having to bring a printout of the cache with you when you head out for the hunt.

I am a bit thick when it comes to this stuff but would like to go paperless. Has anyone out there any suggestions or recommendations on PDAs that are very very easy to use. I would be very grateful for all replies. thestewartfalmily

I am a bit thick when it comes to this stuff but would like to go paperless. Has anyone out there any suggestions or recommendations on PDAs that are very very easy to use. I would be very grateful for all replies. thestewartfalm

:)My self I use a Plam m500.......low price on eBay, fairly rugged little buggers, easy to use, ................................ :D

iPods also work for that. My brother uses his wife's iPod and says it works great!

I finally went paperless with an iPod after about 100 finds. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it MUCH sooner. I had a few minor snags to get it working at first, but the great folks at GSAK were very helpful and now I just love it. :)

I am a bit thick when it comes to this stuff but would like to go paperless. Has anyone out there any suggestions or recommendations on PDAs that are very very easy to use. I would be very grateful for all replies. thestewartfalmily

I started using a Palm m500 and now I have a Palm m515. Both of those are easy to read in bright sunlight. The Z22 and Palm TX can be very hard to see outdoors.

You should be able to find a Palm m500 that connects with USB for $30.00, including the shipping, from a reliable seller on eBay. You might even see if someone in your area has one for sale on Craigslist. I use Cachemate on my Palm and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on my PC to handle the data from Pocket Queries.