Using hints, does it diminish the find?

I am very new to this hobby ( about 10 finds so far). I found a 3.5 difficulty cache 2 days ago. But I had to use the hint. It was not straight forward. I had to figure out what the hint meant. I actually went and looked for 2 other caches after giving up on the 3.5. While I was hunting for the others I could not get the hint out of my mind. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I went back and found it right away. Now I am wondering if I should consider the find a little less impressive because I used the hint. What are your opinions on this? Are the harder caches supposed to have a tricky hint or it just a purest thing to not use them. Thanks.

The owner put the hint there to be used if you need it. I don't think it diminishes anything for you to use it.

I know some cachers who decrypt every hint before they set foot outside of the house...for me, I usually try to avoid them if I can because that's more fun to me. Either way, we both have fun trying to find the cache.

I am very new to this hobby ( about 10 finds so far). I found a 3.5 difficulty cache 2 days ago. But I had to use the hint. It was not straight forward. I had to figure out what the hint meant. I actually went and looked for 2 other caches after giving up on the 3.5. While I was hunting for the others I could not get the hint out of my mind. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I went back and found it right away. Now I am wondering if I should consider the find a little less impressive because I used the hint. What are your opinions on this? Are the harder caches supposed to have a tricky hint or it just a purest thing to not use them. Thanks.

I feel that hints are especially good to avoid damage to the area around ground zero. I have seen evidence of very aggressive searching where the owner didn't supply a hint for a small, well hidden cache. No shame in using a hint, I do all the time.

I feel that hints are especially good to avoid damage to the area around ground zero. I have seen evidence of very aggressive searching where the owner didn't supply a hint for a small, well hidden cache. No shame in using a hint, I do all the time.

I concur! Damage to the area at GZ should be avoided. We should be concerned about the area. A well thought out hint can definately avoid damage to the environment.

My paperless system automatically decrypts the hints for me, and if the hunt is in a sensitive area, I will often refer to the hint (when one is given).

Every time I use the hint, I look up and the cache is right in front of me. :o As other have said, use them if you need them. That is why they are there

The only time I avoid using the hint is if I think I might be first to find. I dunno why I do it that way, but I do.

Otherwise, I generally read the hint with the cache description; though I often hunt a bit without reading anything about the cache, and find a good many like that - just from the coords. Understand, these days I rarely hunt caches other than hiking or yakking caches. Most of this stuff isn't clever, it's just a box/matchsafe in the woods.

Thanks gang for the great replies. I did decrypt there on the spot, so hey at least I did it the hard way. But I don't feel so "dirty" now for using it. I would have found it if I would have went about another 10 feet using the search method I was using at the time. But I trusted the GPS to have me with in 4 feet the other way. Thanks again.

If you are new then I would suggest taking the hint for the first 25 or so until your "geosense" develops. After that you can go the "purist" route.

Many of my outings are in search of a specific cache on the way to a meeting or errand so I generally take a peak at the hint. Sometimes the hint makes it trickier for me.

We hate DNF's...this is compounded by the current gas prices, since going back to clear them up is not just time consuming, but also costly. Thus, we love hints, we decrypt them before we head out of the house, and we read all the previous logs too. Unfortunately, we still end up with more DNF's than we would like.

But I had to use the hint. It was not straight forward. I had to figure out what the hint meant.

At least you were given a "hint" instead of a giveaway. What I hate is when I check the hint, only to find something like "at the base of the only oak tree in this forest, beneath the only red rock in the county you will find an ammo can". A hint should be a hint, not a giveaway (and not parking directions or other neccessary special information, but that's another thread). Giveaways do take much of the fun out of it for me.

i useta not use the hint unless i'd made VERY thorough search.

i often prefer to go without it, but read the hint FIRST if:

i consider the hider's work to be dubious

there have been a lot of DNFs

the hider calls for lots of stealth on a hard hide in a very public place

there's potential for damage at GZ

reception is poor

the hunt involves a lot of back-and-forthing on rough terrain

there are a lot of logs that mention the hint

But I had to use the hint. It was not straight forward. I had to figure out what the hint meant.

At least you were given a "hint" instead of a giveaway. What I hate is when I check the hint, only to find something like "at the base of the only oak tree in this forest, beneath the only red rock in the county you will find an ammo can". A hint should be a hint, not a giveaway (and not parking directions or other neccessary special information, but that's another thread). Giveaways do take much of the fun out of it for me.

I have one cache where the hint is a a clear, precise, and complete explanation of exactly where to put their hand to get the cache. That was intentional. It's somewhere people could get frustrated but it's the best place (the only place, really) for that cache to live. So I also say on the cache page that the hint is a total giveaway--The effect has been interesting. I get a lot of logs that mention whether they had to resort to the hint or not. I never hear mention of the hint on logs for my other caches.

I try the cache with just the info on the cache page first, then use the hint, then read the last few logs.

Edited by Neos2

I have one cache where the hint is a a clear, precise, and complete explanation of exactly where to put their hand to get the cache. That was intentional. It's somewhere people could get frustrated but it's the best place (the only place, really) for that cache to live. So I also say on the cache page that the hint is a total giveaway--The effect has been interesting. I get a lot of logs that mention whether they had to resort to the hint or not. I never hear mention of the hint on logs for my other caches.

I can see that being a very good idea in some circumstances. At least the cacher has advance warning that the hint is a giveaway.

Finding the cache sans hint. Uber Cool.

Finding the cache with the hint. Cool.

Not finding the cache at all, clue or no clue. Bummer.

We always try to find the cache without using the hint but after a long search with no luck the hint will be used. Sometime it helps and sometimes it doesn't. We know cachers who always use the hint and others who claim they never do. Play the game your way and just have fun!!! After all, thats what it's all about

We used to read the hint before each hunt when we were noobs.

Now we generally try to look first before reading the hint. About 70% of the time we manage to make the find without reading it first.

But in no way does it diminish the find.

We just do it that way to help sharpen our finding skills.

We almost always read the hint anyway, even after we've found the cache.

Sometimes the hints can be quite humorous, and I'll take an extra laugh whenever I can get one.

I've spent my first month caching struggling with this as well. I only printed maybe 6 of the 35 caches I did, that's a pain and requires prior planning (not my strong suit). I had a VistaHcx and used GSAK to load the hints into the description. that went VERY badly!!!! caused a DNF when a partial hint read something like, "five steps from th" so I spent half an hour looking around the 5th step of an old broken down staircase in the middle of nowhere but within range of GZ. When I got home to log my DNF I looked at the full hint..."5 steps from the road in the wall." :D

Half an hour later it then turned what would have been a simple little hunt into no hunt at all when I saw the hint while selecting the cache, "On the bottom hinge"

The other thing I did besides logging those two when I got home was order myself a Colorado!

I took the Vista back and now understand why yins are calling the Colorado, "A Cachers dream"!!

I love that with 2 button presses you can work your way logically through the information...cache page first, then it shows you the logs and last you can look at the hint. Hopefully I won't accidentally read a later stage hint if I need one on a multi...but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Nope...I see no harm in using the hints. I like to try it with the coordinates first and then work my way through the info until something gets me to the cache. I'll probably be reading the cache pages more beforehand with the Colorado...but that's not a bad thing...I probably had 10 DNFs in my first month on ones I looked for because I was driving close by and noticed it on the Vista map screen that I found out I was wasting my time looking for cold like that when I read the cache page after the fact. The best example of that I can think of is one where i was looking for a container but I was supposed to be looking for numbers on a sign to find the actual coordinates to the cache (and the page says you have to drive to the cache from there because it's too far to walk!).

I'm pretty sure the idea when hiding a cache...is to have it found. So the information hiders provide is meant to help finders along their way.

The only time I didn't log a find because of a hint...was one where I'd spent hours looking for it and probably wouldn't have found it had the CO not shown up for a spring maintenance check while I was looking...first she told me where to look....then she eventually told me I had picked up the cache and tossed it aside while I was looking :D

One thing I would caution you on is worrying too much about things like this. The Holy Grail in Geocaching is not to find the way that most people think you should be playing, it is to find the way YOU enjoy playing. You are going to get a million unique answers to questions like this but understand all of these are based on how each individual cacher likes to play with no right or wrong attached to any of them. There is NO SUCH THING as a diminished find. It is all about maximizing the fun that you have.

That said, Geocaching is not a free for all. There is definitely a code of conduct that ensures the longevity of the game and that the next cacher has the same or better experience than you did. While most of these principles can be found in the Golden Rule or a Boy Scout manual,. some of the best information I have found in these forums are the innovative things that other people do to keep the quality of the game at a high level.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I look at the hint every time i go for a cache, before i get down to the searching. I do this because it makes searching time quicker, and makes me less suspicious to nearby muggles. Also i can be clumsy, and if i know where the cache is, i can go straight to it without stepping on to much vegetation. However if you dont want to look at the hint dont, just play the game the way you want to play it.

Edited by Lotho

Do not feel bad about how you found it. An honest find is an honest find. Play it how you feel it; game playing style is a personal and unique thing. The only frustrating thing for me and something to be aware of is that sometimes the hints are poorly worded or constructed and are more misleading than leading. The worst for me is if the hide is obscure - could easily be many places or poor coordinates - and there is no hint at all. Some hiders take pride in placing difficult hides without hints, and then insist on seekers logging a DNF before they will give a hint. This is done mostly for the ego of the person that placed the cache; they like to see lots of frowns to prove to others that they are good at causing people to pull their hair out. As you gain more experience, finds will come easier.

Happy Caching!

Most of my caching is done away from home on road trips. I rarely cache the same area twice, meaning that if I DNF the cache it will likely stay unfound, as I am not likely to be back in the area anytime soon.

I hunt for a few minutes, if I don't find it I read the clue - a stupid clue like "No clue for you!" or something else equally unhelpful is irritating, no clue at all is better, and a good clue that helps me find the cache is the best.

A DNF always bothers me, because then I don't know if the cache is gone or I just can't find it.

Hints seem to come in two flavors here:

1) Useless

2) Spoilers that tell you everything.

If the hint is long, I try not to read it. If it is short, then I will, to save time and to see if I really want to get it. What I really hate is a hint that says, "Not at this time" or "Too easy". Wasted hint.