Best Batteries for Garmin 60csx

The newer "hybrid" NiMH rechargeable batteries are very good. I got four AA Rayovac hybrid batteries at Target for less than $9.00. Then I bought another charger with two AA and two AAA batteries for $10.00.

For two years I used Energizer NiMH batteries with good results, but they finally got tired and stopped holding a charge for more than a day or two . . .

Actual tests with 60csx running continuously with screen illumination constantly on at 50% brightness and NiMH batteries:

Powerex 2700--12 hours

Sanyo 2500--11 hours

Accupower 2900--11 1/2 hours

Any low self discharge batteries rated 2000-2300 mAh--10 hours

Of course, low self discharge batteries have the advantage if the batteries are used more than a few days after they are charged.

Edited by sma12

I use Energizer 2500 mAh rechargeables. THey are ok, but not great. They lose power too quickly when just sitting around. But if I am diligent in keeping my LaCrosse charger full then I always have a new set.

I found that the chargers that come with batteries (ie Energizer, duracell, etc) that you buy at Wally World or similar places pretty much suck.

Get yourself a good charger and you'll be happier.

For long life non eneloop would be better if they are used regularly. Forget about the batteries and concentrate on the charger.

My previous mid priced 'smart' charger, ruined my batteries. After 50 cycles they were down from 2500 to 1200 mAh. So if your batteries start out better but your charger destoys them you are going backwards.

After a single breaking cycles with my new MaHa and a pair of Sanyo 2700's I got 30 hours from an HCx with heavy backlight use.

Forget about the batteries and concentrate on the charger.

Good advice.

I went with the LaCrosse BC900. I had batteries that were fully charged according to the LED on my Energizer quick charger, but would only give me an hour of usage (+/- depending on the battery). I was going to pitch them all and get a different brand, but decided to try a new charger. It worked wonders on those batteries.

I put them through the 'refresh' cycle which charges/discharges a)up to 20 times or :D if the charger can't measure an increase in mAh after so many cycles. It took a couple of days for each set of 4 to go through the cycle, but it worked. As an example, the batteries I am using are Energizer 2700 mAh. When first put in the new charger, they would read only 300-400 mAh as the MAX after charging! After the refresh cycle, they are all back up around 2600-2700 mAh where they should be.

Worth every penny for the charger.

Here are some of the brands of Low-Self Discharge NiMH AAs now available:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Pre-Charged

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

I am using the Rayovac Hybrids and the Kodak Pre-Charged. Walmart has the Kodaks for about US$8.50 for a 4-pack. (make sure you get the ones that say Pre-Charged in a green strip at the top of the package.)