keeping tb's logs and cache inventories current

jmap117

found a tb hotel cache and discovered two tb's that are not listed in the cache inventory. what time frame do i give the cacher placing the tb in the cache to log it as dropped in the cache? i emailed one of the cachers, who had stated in his log that the tb was going to the area where i discovered it. i could not track down how the other one ended up in the cache. i want to log my cache find and tb's discovered but trying to wait to see if tb logs catch up to cache inventory. please advise!

I will usually wait a couple of days and then send an email to the cacher who shows as holding the bug. I will say that I found the bug in xxxx cache and am just checking to see if they are planning to log it or if they want me to grab it from them. Most of the time it gets logged in to the cache but there have been a couple of times when the cacher replied and asked me to just grab the bug from them.

I don't wait. I log the TB as retrived from another location then I "dip" the TB into the cache I found it in anthen retrive it again.

Perhaps I should wait, but I figure I'm preserving the integrity of the TB's milage and location and I'm not having a negative effect on the last cacher's stats.

...unless somebody out there is keeping track of his/her "TBs placed" stats like they are pirate gold.

I don't wait. I log the TB as retrived from another location then I "dip" the TB into the cache I found it in anthen retrive it again.

Perhaps I should wait, but I figure I'm preserving the integrity of the TB's milage and location and I'm not having a negative effect on the last cacher's stats.

...unless somebody out there is keeping track of his/her "TBs placed" stats like they are pirate gold.

When I leave a travel bug in a cache I prefer to be able to place it into the cache online myself rather than have someone grab it from me. Sometimes I can't log online for a few days. I try to extend the same courtesy to others that I hope they extend to me.

When I leave a travel bug in a cache I prefer to be able to place it into the cache online myself rather than have someone grab it from me. Sometimes I can't log online for a few days. I try to extend the same courtesy to others that I hope they extend to me.

Me too. I try to log as soon as possible, but sometimes "soon" is not "possible". Recently I went on a business trip immediately followed by a personal trip followed by a day in bed suffering from allergies followed by a second business trip (all in the same rental car). I had 19 GC finds, 8 GC DNFs, 2 GC Notes, 3 TC finds, 2 TC DNFs, and 1 TC note in 5 states to log, including the travels of 1 coin and 1 TB. I personally type up every online log (no cut-n-paste logs for me) and I finished up the logging about a week after the final find.

If I find a TB physically in a cache (but not electronically), then I'll wait a day or so and email the holder. Then I'll wait a few more days (at most) for a reply before yanking it. I'd appreciate the same courtesy. If I get an email asking about the TB then I'll either log it as soon as possible or just say to yank it from me.

I'm all for not offending another cacher. I can think of two or three times that I've done this and I recall the last activity of the cacher to be several days or weeks in those situations. I should clarify that I wasn't logging them as found on the same day they were placed. At least I recall that to be the case.

If I had placed a TB in a cache and not logged it as placed and it had been several days and somebody logged it without contacting me I wouldn't be offended at all.

I think it's more important to keep the integrity of the TBs log. I appreciate the intent of extending a courtesy to a cacher, and I respect your desire to be polite, but I side with what I believe to be the best interest of the TB owner on this one.

But I'm completely open to changing my opinion.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I agree. When I was new to caching, I grabbed a TB before it could be dropped, not understanding why it wasn't listed in the cache. The person who dropped it simply hadn't had enough time yet to log their full day of caching. They very nicely told me it was considered poor form to grab a TB without waiting - at least a few days.

I've since been caching on vacation and not had access to a computer for a week and thus could not log my finds as quickly as I usually do. Sure enough, another cacher grabbed a TB from my inventory and while I was not offended, I could easily understand why it's considered poor form to do that.

If the traveler isn't dropped within a week or so, I'd email the previous holder and ask them to drop it. If they aren't able to do so for whatever reason after 2 weeks, I'd grab it from their inventory. But in all honesty, I've never had to wait that long.

Patience is a good thing. :D

I don't see what the difference is, or what waiting buys anyone. If I am at the computer doing logging and have the coin in front of me, I am going to log it right then and there rather than set it aside and forget about it, then wonder what happened when I try to place it in another cache and see that it is not in my inventory.

The only thing that irritates me is when I am in the situation of not logging on for a few days, someone grabs a TB or coin I placed, but does not dip in the cache they found it from. As long as it is dipped into the cache it was retreived from and that cache shows on the trackable's map correct go for it.

I think "waiting" is just a logging error waiting to happen myself. I don't see how it is polite or anything else. The original person still got the stats showing they picked it up. They still have the option of writing a note in the TB page if they desire too. As long as the TB got the mileage correct and ends up in the right inventory, who cares who clicked the buttons to make that happen?

I don't see what the difference is, or what waiting buys anyone. If I am at the computer doing logging and have the coin in front of me, I am going to log it right then and there rather than set it aside and forget about it, then wonder what happened when I try to place it in another cache and see that it is not in my inventory.

The only thing that irritates me is when I am in the situation of not logging on for a few days, someone grabs a TB or coin I placed, but does not dip in the cache they found it from. As long as it is dipped into the cache it was retreived from and that cache shows on the trackable's map correct go for it.

I think "waiting" is just a logging error waiting to happen myself. I don't see how it is polite or anything else. The original person still got the stats showing they picked it up. They still have the option of writing a note in the TB page if they desire too. As long as the TB got the mileage correct and ends up in the right inventory, who cares who clicked the buttons to make that happen?

Well I guess I care. I appreciate it when other cachers do me the courtesy of allowing me to log my own caching activity and maintain my own caching history. We all play the game differently. What you mention as your only irritation is no different to me than when someone grabs the bug from my inventory. The other cacher couln't be bothered to give me a reasonable amount of time to log my caching activity. I think this is rude. You may disagree and that is ok.

I agree; when I'm logging our finds I log the bugs to when I'm at it, being dropped in the cache or not. If I don't it's an accident waiting to happen; I might forget about it myself and end up with a GC/TB that go through two holders without being logged.

I will however 'dip' it in the cache I retrieved it from for milage and to show the owner where it is and where it has been.

found a tb hotel cache and discovered two tb's that are not listed in the cache inventory. what time frame do i give the cacher placing the tb in the cache to log it as dropped in the cache? i emailed one of the cachers, who had stated in his log that the tb was going to the area where i discovered it. i could not track down how the other one ended up in the cache. i want to log my cache find and tb's discovered but trying to wait to see if tb logs catch up to cache inventory. please advise!

Not all vacationers have the Internet strapped to their backside for handy access. Any time frame shorter than a leisurely vacation is nothing more than impatience on the part of an eager finder who does have Internet access at their beck and call.

Wait, watch, give them a chance to catch up and keep the TB's history right.

Not all vacationers have the Internet strapped to their backside for handy access. Any time frame shorter than a leisurely vacation is nothing more than impatience on the part of an eager finder who does have Internet access at their beck and call.

Wait, watch, give them a chance to catch up and keep the TB's history right.

I don't think it’s really about whether I have Internet in my pocket or not, but about courtesy to the TB/GC owner. Too often I see ‘dead bugs’ in caches; I can point you to at least 5 caches in my little area alone that have bugs listed in them that have been absent for a long time. Most likely these trackables have been picked up by someone that either forgot to log them or just simply didn’t know what they were and kept them.

In case of the latter there is not much I can do, but I sure do not want to risk forgetting about logging an item for a couple of weeks. I have found several coins and bugs in caches that have been sitting in the caches for weeks, waiting for a cache owner to finally find it in his back pocket, bottom of his cache bag or trunk of his car.

I would suggest that if you are on a trip and know that you will not be able to log either cache or bug for several days or weeks, leave the bugs and coins in the cache. It’s not mandatory to pick them up.

I log all my finds/places/pickups/etc as soon as I can. That is usually the same day. Last weekend I was up north a bit, and didn't get back to a computer until Sunday night. We cached on Friday (1 find before a wicked storm on the way up - picked up a TB), Saturday (4 finds - 1 coin taken) and Sunday (3 finds - 3 discovers but don't move by request - 1 coin picked up - 1 TB placed). I logged all this Sunday with no problem. I was thinking about this when I placed the bug, what if someone comes in right after me and picks it up. They could look at the history of the TB and see I had it last and send me an email blah blah blah. But what if they don't?

Ironically, that is how I happened upon that same TB. I pulled it from a cache, and it wasn't listed. I sent the last holder an email requesting him to log that he placed it in the cache. Later that night I received an email from the owner of the TB saying how it has been off the radar for a while and asking me if I would help get it back on track. Of course I agreed. He dropped it in the cache I found it in, I picked it up, and all is fine. I never did hear back from the local cacher that dropped it in the cache. The owner did contact him, that is how he knew what cache it was in and he was watching that cache. He knew from my mentioning it in the log that I picked it up.

After reading all these posts, recently going through a similar situation, and looking at three upcoming camping/caching trips, this is my solution:

I am going to print out a note to leave with the travel items I'm placing that says something like "I am dropping this while on vacation in late July 2008 (example). I will catch up all my logs as soon as I return home. If you pick this up and it isn't logged, please give me a few days to log my end of it's travel. Please do not send this note on with the TB"

Since I know I won't be logging it for a few days, and since there is a good chance that it could be picked up, I see this as a fair "heads up" to give me a chance to log it instead of the next cacher assuming I dropped the ball and just pulling it from me.

If you don't let the last cacher log it, they may no longer have the tracking number to do a post dated log on it, to show they moved it. Some people like to do that. Check the last log on the TB, and if it's been a long while, then go ahead, chances are it has been missing or mis-logged and isn't going to be logged. If possible check the logs on the cache page and see if someone mentioned leaving it, or leaving a TB in general. Email them, ask them, then log it.

I say wait a couple of days to log it.

It is not unusual for me to pick up a tb/geocoin while on holiday and drop it miles away on the same day. Depending on who I am staying with I may or may not have internet connection. Last trip stayed with brother in law at their beach house, no land line so no internet. Also how many people who go on an overnight tramp or longer will have internet connection.

Does that mean I shouldn't place any tbs/geocoins unless I can guarantee that I can log it before you log you find, how does this work with someone dropping a tb / geocoin who lives two hour drive away vs someone who picks it up and lives 5 minutes away and goes straight home to log it.

Patience is a virtue, if you are worried about forgetting to log it leave it on your computer until its logged.

edited I should learn to be patient enough to run spell check before I post it! doh

Edited by Kiwi Nomad

I would suggest that if you are on a trip and know that you will not be able to log either cache or bug for several days or weeks, leave the bugs and coins in the cache. It’s not mandatory to pick them up.

I would suggest quite the opposite. Who better to move a travel bug than someone traveling? Why be punative agaisnt those who help? Your real issue is the orpans. Not the folks on vaction who may be slower in logging.

It's so very annoying to get back and catch up on logs only to find some jack rabbit grabbed the travel bug and completely screwed up the travel bug's travels because they were too impatent to do things right. I write down numbers now and steal the bug back, log in where it was supposed to go on the right date and email the jackrabbit that they should fix the mess they created.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Finding Bugs not online seems ok to me. You can hang on to it and wait a few days or a week or so to see if the "E" version shows. I have looked for Bugs at cache sites and no bug there. Now that is a let down. Heck I am nursing chiggers now after stomping around looking for a cach and no bugs in it that showed on line. The log entry in the cache was a month ago. Got home and sure enough, later that same night, the bug shows as gone from the cache I was just at. So with folks caching on vacations, a bug may be picked up and not reported as gone. If we all do our part, the bug is more important than who moved it. Lets just get the bug its due milage. :rolleyes:

If you don't let the last cacher log it, they may no longer have the tracking number to do a post dated log on it, to show they moved it. Some people like to do that. Check the last log on the TB, and if it's been a long while, then go ahead, chances are it has been missing or mis-logged and isn't going to be logged. If possible check the logs on the cache page and see if someone mentioned leaving it, or leaving a TB in general. Email them, ask them, then log it.

I have a related problem. I found a TB that was not in the cache's inventory. I did log the find on the TBs record and then re-hid it a couple weeks later. The TB never showed up in my inventory. My log for the TB indicated where it is but it does not show up on the inventory of the new cache either. I am trying to correct a problem that happened somewhere back in time but can't figure out how to make it right.

I have a related problem. I found a TB that was not in the cache's inventory. I did log the find on the TBs record and then re-hid it a couple weeks later. The TB never showed up in my inventory. My log for the TB indicated where it is but it does not show up on the inventory of the new cache either. I am trying to correct a problem that happened somewhere back in time but can't figure out how to make it right.

Which bug is it? Can you provide the reference number located on the upper left corner of the bug page?

I would give them at least a week before "grabbing" it from them.

If you only want to "discover" the TB, then there is no need to wait at all.

Common courtesy is not as common as it should be. The modern sense of entitlement is sad.

Give the cacher who dropped the bug a week or so to return from his/her vacation to drop the bug. What is so difficult about being kind and understanding to your fellow geocachers?!?

Allow the previous cacher a week or so to return from vacation, and log the bug in. Then e-mail them and ask if and when they will be dropping the bug. After two weeks, sure, go ahead and grab the bug.

If you're head to Iowa tomorrow, and the bug's goal is to visit Iowa... Then go ahead and grab it, but log it into the cache from which you grabbed it first. Otherwise, practice a little common courtesy! Be nice to your fellow cacher! It won't hurt. Do unto others as you would have do unto you.