Gallery of Hand Made Geocoins, Sig coins and tokens.

uh guys, a quick question. How do you insert a pictures url if you have it saved to your computer?
First you upload the picture to a server somewhere. For example, you could upload it to an archived geocache listing. Then you use the URL for the uploaded copy.

I placed the handful of custom wooden nickels in caches :anicute:. Now on to some more ideas.

This weekend I saw a guy making distressed steel keychain fobs, in various "zombie" designs. So I tried that, using aluminum pieces. He was stamping them, I had better luck just hand-engraving them. Around my neighborhood, there are more zombies than in most other places, so a lot of people like zombie stuff. But I also made a couple of non-zombie items.

21c00a54-8734-4161-90cb-a39883497046.jpg

These could be attached to a backpack, or used as pendants or key fobs. The larger piece may work well as a TB attachment. The "TFTC" pendant has "DNF" on the back. :anibad:

This was an interesting challenge. I'm getting ready to use computer designed versions of these phrases in my acrylic keychains. Then people won't have to put up with my handwriting. :P

Edited by kunarion

So tried my hand at "homemade swag" seeing as many people seem to like to find it...for my own sanity I tried something simple and familiar for now. Crochet. Found a nice butterfly patter to go with my username and after a few duds managed to make something passable.

Good homemade swag? or silly?

IMG_8290crop.JPG

IMG_8291crop.JPG

Edited by Duskywing

So tried my hand at "homemade swag" seeing as many people seem to like to find it...for my own sanity I tried something simple and familiar for now. Crochet. Found a nice butterfly patter to go with my username and after a few duds managed to make something passable.

Good homemade swag? or silly?

IMG_8291crop.JPG

I really like that it's handmade, personalized to fit your trailname and packaged in a labelled little baggie. A knitted/crocheted item is quite unique. Nicely done.

I really like that it's handmade, personalized to fit your trailname and packaged in a labelled little baggie. A knitted/crocheted item is quite unique. Nicely done.

Thanks L0ne.R!

I put out a few new caches and put a few of these out in them and the FTF and STF both mentioned they took one and seemed to like them. I may switch it up in the future but right now I am enjoying making them.

There's an annual Mega Event in Georgia, and the next one's theme is "Steampunk". So I looked up some craft projects in that theme, and this "watch" seemed like something I could make. I couldn't find all the exact things the tutorial used, but I made do. Plus I made a little variety of styles, some stamped with cardinal directions. I think they're pretty sweet!

9c11fa31-174b-4057-9b3d-23c33c9b7eb6.jpg

The original project is an "old watch" and I mostly stuck with that blueprint, except now this is a compass. But with a watch stem. That's just crazy!! :o

Edited by kunarion

I'm kickin' these things up a notch. They're still "steampunk keychains", but I think they're starting to look awesome. And now there's a dragon. Oh yeah.

8ac17014-87d7-4d1a-a951-21ab6abb3eec.jpg

The copper tags will get a patina over time, which I think will be pretty cool.

Great photo of the swag. The copper gives the swag a steampunk look. I'd be thrilled to see this geoswag in a cache. Do you baggie them up and label them?

Do you baggie them up and label them?

These will be placed in individual ziplock bags. Although they are "KU" stamped, I think there should be a label or card included. Maybe (to keep with the theme), there could be a fancy little label like

"Kunarion Presents:

Admiral Horace Birdwhistle-Dankworth's Gibecrakes" :anicute:

Besides a label, there's yet another feature I will add to them. Good thing I have til next October to work on them. :anibad:

(Steampunk-themed cache Event happens in October 2016)

Edited by kunarion

Do you baggie them up and label them?

These will be placed in individual ziplock bags. Although they are "KU" stamped, I think there should be a label or card included. Maybe (to keep with the theme), there could be a fancy little label like

"Kunarion Presents:

Besides a label, there's yet another feature I will add to them. Good thing I have til next October to work on them. :anibad:

These are amazing. You should look into laser etching or sand etching the tags. You could take it up a notch in the coolness factor. Though the etching would get lost once the copper turns green so you would have to coat it to prevent that.

To save on costs you could also play around with a can of spray lacquer and a stencil. Stencil out a steampunk design and spray it with lacquer. The copper will only tarnish where there is no lacquer. Acid etching is also a low cost way to etch the tag and can also be done at home. Never tried this though but I have seen some awesome results. It is time consuming though.

I have never seen copper dog tags before. Are they self made?

Good luck with the competition.

I found the tags on ebay. They're a little pricey, but the best deal I could find for copper tags. Except I see some gardening tags that might do. I have thought of acid etch, that would be great! And I might have access to a laser engraver at times.

Don't tell anybody :anicute:, but I have it on good authority that one or two of the completed "Admiral Horace Birdwhistle-Dankworth's Gibecrakes" are in caches in the wilds, info label and all.

Edited by kunarion

I found the tags on ebay. They're a little pricey, but the best deal I could find for copper tags. Except I see some gardening tags that might do. I have thought of acid etch, that would be great! And I might have access to a laser engraver at times.

Don't tell anybody :anicute:, but I have it on good authority that one or two of the completed "Admiral Horace Birdwhistle-Dankworth's Gibecrakes" are in caches in the wilds, info label and all.

the aged lobster clasps are awesome! did you find those on ebay too? the only ones i ever found with just ugly stainless steel.

the aged lobster clasps are awesome! did you find those on ebay too? the only ones i ever found with just ugly stainless steel.

I found those on close-out at a craft store. The aged bronze clasps on ebay are "out of stock" when you try to select them, except for a couple of listings which are suspect. :anicute:

To see one selection, search ebay for this:

Metal Swivel Clips Hooks Clasps Lobster end 1.5" long 39x18mm Several Colors

or this:

25 LARGE SWIVEL CLIPS 1.5" long Antique COPPER Finish Clasps 39mm x 18mm

Edited by kunarion

Here's my 1st batch of homemade wooden nickels. As evident in the photos, my technique still needs a lot of work. <_<

The one is the center turned out better than the rest. The border and the text on all these is dark green, although in the photo they appear much browner.

20160526_230509.jpg

My signature items are custom dogtags with images I've taken. The unique aspect is that each image is taken somewhere in the park where I leave the item in the first place. In the event that a cache isn't in a park or scenic area, I leave one of the images I've taken within the city or locale the cache is in. I leave very, very few of those though, because small+ caches aren't super common outside of parks.

signature.jpg

My signature items are custom dogtags with images I've taken. The unique aspect is that each image is taken somewhere in the park where I leave the item in the first place. In the event that a cache isn't in a park or scenic area, I leave one of the images I've taken within the city or locale the cache is in. I leave very, very few of those though, because small+ caches aren't super common outside of parks.

signature.jpg

Really cool. Very personalized. If I found one I would love to know that you took the photo. Do you label them?

Edited by L0ne.R

I placed the handful of custom wooden nickels in caches :anicute:. Now on to some more ideas.

This weekend I saw a guy making distressed steel keychain fobs, in various "zombie" designs. So I tried that, using aluminum pieces. He was stamping them, I had better luck just hand-engraving them. Around my neighborhood, there are more zombies than in most other places, so a lot of people like zombie stuff. But I also made a couple of non-zombie items.

21c00a54-8734-4161-90cb-a39883497046.jpg

These could be attached to a backpack, or used as pendants or key fobs. The larger piece may work well as a TB attachment. The "TFTC" pendant has "DNF" on the back. :anibad:

This was an interesting challenge. I'm getting ready to use computer designed versions of these phrases in my acrylic keychains. Then people won't have to put up with my handwriting. :P

I am a huge zombie fan...love these!

With my 10th year Geocaching anniversary coming in a couple of months, I thought I'd make a few new Cache Zippers.  These are all numbered, and of course all different.  And they have a tag (unactivated) that's trackable on Geocaching.com! 

Because of a pirate-themed Mega Event this fall, these are pirate keychains.  I'll drop them in select caches.

IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8934.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1
On 6/21/2020 at 1:15 AM, TEAM FeOl said:

Hi
after eight years of geocaching and many of our cast geo coins laid out, we have come to a corner, we log our cache number 1000
and has made a new coin for that use -

That is a fun signature item!

9 minutes ago, TmdAndGG said:

Our very first Signature items. Since I'm also known locally as Gadget Guy (The GG in our name;)) since I like to build gadget caches, I figured a gear would be appropriate

I love those!

• Helpful 1

Turns out that my local library offers 3D printing as a service, for reasonably cheap. I had these made up, cost 80c per coin:

HhQBdrB.jpg

Overall, it looks okay. But considering that they have a $6,000 machine (or at least that's what its retail cost was when it was new, three years ago), I'm not too impressed with the level of detail. I'll be looking at other options to see what I can come up with. Also, I ordered these in June so there was a bit of a queue. on the plus side, now I now that it isn't a good idea to buy a cheapy $300 3D printer if a more high end unit can't get the level of detail that I want.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Unit473L said:

Turns out that my local library offers 3D printing as a service, for reasonably cheap. I had these made up, cost 80c per coin:

HhQBdrB.jpg

Overall, it looks okay. But considering that they have a $6,000 machine (or at least that's what its retail cost was when it was new, three years ago), I'm not too impressed with the level of detail. I'll be looking at other options to see what I can come up with. Also, I ordered these in June so there was a bit of a queue. on the plus side, now I now that it isn't a good idea to buy a cheapy $300 3D printer if a more high end unit can't get the level of detail that I want.

What extra detail do you need? I believe that some 3D printers have a setting that adjusts the level of detail. Perhaps your library has it on the lowest detail setting. Just a guess:)

By the way, those look great!

Edited by TmdAndGG
6 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

What extra detail do you need?

I had been thinking of having different designs every month or three. One of the good things about 3D printing is that you can do a few, refine the design, then do a few more. I had wanted to put in smaller writing such as the month / year I made that particular design, include the Geocaching website and other small writing. Just above the "D" in Darwin there is a little blob which is meant to be a number one (as in, first design), but it came out rather … blobby. The "a" in Darwin is also missing a bit.

6 hours ago, TmdAndGG said:

Perhaps your library has it on the lowest detail setting.

I assume so, or at least optimised for maximum number of prints per hour at the minimum acceptable level of detail. Or I needed to specify which settings I wanted them to use (finer detail means longer print time means higher cost - and most people would be looking at minimum cost options). If I had my own printer then I could tweak the settings to maximum detail and just leave it printing overnight … I'd just need to convince Mrs Unit473L that it was an economical option! :D 

I did have the idea of printing a master, then making a mold and using epoxy resin, but it turns out that getting that stuff is rather expensive in Darwin. I had also thought about printing some die masters and using it to squish clay into an instant coin shape, but that also requires high detail 3D printing. I might stick with customising poker chips for now. 

On 12/8/2015 at 9:43 AM, kunarion said:

"Kunarion Presents:

We found this non-trackable packet of goodies awhile back, I think in a Tbh in New Orleans. I kept it because i thought it was very cool and unique. Looking thru my treasure box today and decided to google it and this forum came up. Awesome idea. Thank you for sharing! 

image.thumb.png.f093e0a6e0d5707665087c4f5682b9f4.png

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, BeauxPeep said:

We found this non-trackable packet of goodies awhile back, I think in a Tbh in New Orleans. I kept it because i thought it was very cool and unique. Looking thru my treasure box today and decided to google it and this forum came up. Awesome idea. Thank you for sharing! 

image.thumb.png.f093e0a6e0d5707665087c4f5682b9f4.png

I'm glad you like it!  In 2016, I placed about 50 of these in local caches, most in caches near the Steampunk-themed Event at FDR State Park in Georgia.  So it's awesome that it moved! 

I recently discovered I still have one I never placed!  Plus I still have a bunch of clips and rings, charms (especially golden dragons), and of course a couple thousand zipper pulls.  You remind me that I should make more in a new theme. :D

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1