Gallery of Hand Made Geocoins, Sig coins and tokens.

My question to you folks who have a lot more expertise and experience in this than I do is this.........

How thick do you roll the clay out on average before you cut the shapes for your coins/tokens/etc.???

I make my polymer clay tokens less than 1/8" thick. The rolled and stamped tokens were about the thickness of a dollar coin (2mm, a bit more than 1/16"). The canework tokens vary more, but the slices are between 1/16" thick and 1/8" thick.

All,

Here is my feeble attempt at a signature item. Sadly I am quite proud of it as I am not a crafty person. :P

I think the amount of time I have spent at craft stores in the past week has caused concern for my wife.. :(

-Robert

P1050149.JPG

P1050151.JPG

P1050150.JPG

I LOVE them!! They're SOOO super cute :P I would be really happy to find one in a cache :P

Lol on the time spent in craft store funny :P

Did you bake those? It looks like you used plastic coated wire but wouldn't that be bad in the oven?

I LOVE them!! They're SOOO super cute :D I would be really happy to find one in a cache B)

Lol on the time spent in craft store funny :blink:

Did you bake those? It looks like you used plastic coated wire but wouldn't that be bad in the oven?

Thank you for the compliments!

Yup, they are made from Sculpey (Polymer Clay). The wire has been plated in some way, so it isn't a plastic coating, I checked it before baking because I was concerned about any fumes and such.. B)

-Robert

As the 10 10 10 date is coming up people have been asking about a 10 10 10 geocoin. As 101010 in binary is 42 in decimal, and 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, I thought an appropriate coin may make the grade.

Initial thoughts: 4606603735_bffda100fa_m.jpg

Any further ideas?

As the 10 10 10 date is coming up people have been asking about a 10 10 10 geocoin. As 101010 in binary is 42 in decimal, and 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, I thought an appropriate coin may make the grade.

Any further ideas?

Is there a computational matrix on the reverse side?

OK, so I been slowly refining my technique. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the last set. UGH.

I'm still perfecting my technique. But I have come a little further.

FRONT

scan0002.jpg

BACK

scan0003.jpg

It wasn't until AFTER I made a few of these, that I realized that my cookie cutter, WASN'T ACTUALLY ROUND!!

Edited by USMCGecko

Any further ideas?

DON'T PANIC... it's a GeoCoin!

I love this design!

OK, so I been slowly refining my technique. Doesn't look nearly as bad as the last set. UGH.

FRONT

scan0002.jpg

BACK

scan0003.jpg

It wasn't until AFTER I made a few of these, that I realized that my cookie cutter, WASN'T ACTUALLY ROUND!!

They're cute! Is that Sculpey you're using? Is that little circular piece made of paper and is glued down? Very nice!!

FRONT

scan0002.jpg

BACK

scan0003.jpg

They're cute! Is that Sculpey you're using? Is that little circular piece made of paper and is glued down? Very nice!!

Yes it's sculpey. The center piece is actually shrinky dink printer paper. I coat the whole thing with polycrilic(sp).

I felt so inspired by all the cool Signature items here, that I decided to make a few of my own. I've had a lot of fun making them. I've been dropping them in caches when I can.

Here they are for you viewing enjoyment...803c9573-acd2-4322-8353-ca69761ad4e2.jpg

Guiles

~ AWESOME ~ How are these made???

Yes, well done. Are these embroidered badges? Do you have your own embroidery sewing machine?

I felt so inspired by all the cool Signature items here, that I decided to make a few of my own. I've had a lot of fun making them. I've been dropping them in caches when I can.

Guiles

~ AWESOME ~ How are these made???

Yes, well done. Are these embroidered badges? Do you have your own embroidery sewing machine?

Thank you all very much. Actually they are just Shrink Art. I draw the tokens on my computer with Paint, and then print them on white shrink art paper. I then color the edges with a Sharpie.

Although this topic has not been replied to in a while I have spent the last couple of hours reading this thread and been amazed by all the beautiful signature items that must be out there ready for me to find! :D I have only at this point found one geocache but have decided already that I really want to hand make my signature item, however deciding on what is the really hard part. My partner doesn't share my enthusiasm (Yet!) and has been driven mad by the two days "research" I have been conducting! There are lots of ideas flying round but I have a sneaking suspicion there may be a visit to the local craft shop required! ;) was wondering if people could add some posts so my "research" can continue!

Thanks in Advance

Jo

:PHere's a few new additions, I started making the frog ones just recently. I think these are the two styles I'm sticking with. :)

067d380c-9b3c-4329-91a6-3e8808824621.jpg

Very nice!! Can you tell me how you make these? I am fairly new to caching, and want to make a signature item. Is this the polymer clay that you bake, and then you just stamp it? If so, what should I make a stamp out of? Thanks!

have just finished our geocoins

homemade

see them on our website: http://fenger-olesen.dk/geocoins.html

Cool coins. I would love to trade for one...

This is what I have...

Heres Snoogans sig smashed pennies...Oooooooh, want a set? Just propose a trade!!! :ph34r:

This particular set is on Wheatbacks, guess it would be his LE's :unsure:

dec91fbd-0d7a-4375-b031-4a68412477ad.jpg

His smashed nickles...17e93d95-166b-4e18-89c5-ba3d38af8596.jpg The crappy penny is still a penny :blink:

And a close up at a few e14d4297-8714-48e2-a35b-572199f6b87d.jpg

8226389828_7c53355cf2_c.jpg

Wow...how have I never seen this thread before? Just looking back a few pages, I'm put to shame by some of the other folks' work with polymer clay. Nonetheless, I've attached a pic of what I've been working on lately. I'd like to think they're not bad for a newbie to the material. The group on the left side are thick-cut, and I've released 20 as geocoins, with official Groundspeak codes on them. The group on the right are 'simple' signature items of various designs and sizes. I sign my name on them with a fine-point Sharpie. I'm open to discussing trades or commissions if anyone is interested.

have just finished our geocoins

homemade

see them on our website: http://fenger-olesen.dk/geocoins.html

Cool coins. I would love to trade for one...

This is what I have...

Heres Snoogans sig smashed pennies...Oooooooh, want a set? Just propose a trade!!! :ph34r:

This particular set is on Wheatbacks, guess it would be his LE's :unsure:

dec91fbd-0d7a-4375-b031-4a68412477ad.jpg

His smashed nickles...17e93d95-166b-4e18-89c5-ba3d38af8596.jpg The crappy penny is still a penny :blink:

And a close up at a few e14d4297-8714-48e2-a35b-572199f6b87d.jpg

Hello Snoogans

I would really like to - but can not provide a copper coin, produced only 2 at this time.

Can you use one of the 'silver'

Write to me via geo@fenger-olesen.dk for further agreement

and pardon my written English; -} translated by google translator

Best wishes soren

these are some of the signature items i either found or traded for with people in the geocoin forum. i've also collected several poker chip type sig items, wooden nickels, plastic buttons and little glass animals that were found in a cute little bag. i've left clay arrowheads with kokopelli on them - only made 50 of those. they are in this thread somewhere. also made flat glass ingots with pictures affixed to them, redshoesgirl magnets with kokopelli pins. one lady went around an area and picked up as many as she could find. that was rather discouraging. do folks put out as many sig items as they use to?

8227640099_9998ebb284_o.jpg

8228706692_a004cb4837_o.jpg

these are some of the signature items i either found or traded for with people in the geocoin forum. i've also collected several poker chip type sig items, wooden nickels, plastic buttons and little glass animals that were found in a cute little bag. i've left clay arrowheads with kokopelli on them - only made 50 of those. they are in this thread somewhere. also made flat glass ingots with pictures affixed to them, redshoesgirl magnets with kokopelli pins. one lady went around an area and picked up as many as she could find. that was rather discouraging. do folks put out as many sig items as they use to?

8227640099_9998ebb284_o.jpg

I see you have a RifleMan81 signature shell casing. He is a local cacher and friend here in Central Ohio. I wonder where you found his sig item?

anyone still finding these in caches?

lara

I've handed several of mine out to various geofriends and folks at events, and I recently found a signature domino and 'baseball' card during a day of caching. I've found a few beaded bracelets and earrings put in caches, as well, but it's a rare occurrence when I find anything like that. I'm hoping that by spreading my tokens far and wide, it will inspire other people to do something similar.

I have only just started geocaching and decided I wanted a signature item. Having a little silver putty and a lot of imagination I got started.

Well I have to say what I produced was not what was in my head.

The%20First%20Tag211.jpg

The%20Finished%20Product.JPG

Even after giving the spiders a lick of purple paint to make them show up more this has just not worked. Ah well back to the drawing board. This thread has however, given me lots of ideas.

quote name='arachnyds web' timestamp='1420062128' post='5459835']

I decided to have a go at making my own signature items. Unfortunately my imagination was greater than my skill and this was what I ended up with.

Back to the drawing board I guess. But at least this thread has given me lots of ideas.

You are almost there. smile.gif

Perhaps a smoother medium that doesn't crack as much. Once dry, you could paint the whole thing with acrylics...perhaps paint the whole thing in black. Let dry, then paint the spider indents with another colour - silver, gold or red perhaps. And write your trailname 'arachnyds' with a permanent sharpie pen - in silver or gold.

You are almost there. smile.gif

Perhaps a smoother medium that doesn't crack as much. Once dry, you could paint the whole thing with acrylics...perhaps paint the whole thing in black. Let dry, then paint the spider indents with another colour - silver, gold or red perhaps. And write your trailname 'arachnyds' with a permanent sharpie pen - in silver or gold.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at the idea of cold casting with resin. See what sort of interesting results I can get with that. My insets are designes, I have sent off for the cold resin and some spider charms for embedding. Should at least be a fun experiment and I might even come out of it with fun and useable sig items.