Gallery of Hand Made Geocoins, Sig coins and tokens.

give me a little info about signiture items please...

do you leave them in every cach you find?

do you just trade them for other signiture items?

is it suggested to have your name on them?

I make glass beads I was going to start producing a speical one for leaving in caches should I attacha tag to show who its from?

I "leave" mine in every cache I find. If the cache isn't big enough, then I "drop" the token, then immediately "grab" the token, and then later drop it in the first cache that has room. Essentially, I dip it (for tracking purposes) in the cache that's too small, and then leave it in the first cache that is large enough.

Others leave sig items only in caches that are large enough, or only in especially memorable caches.

I don't trade them. I just leave them. If I want to collect someone else's sig item, then I leave something else in exchange.

Mine have my geocaching handle on them, plus I put them in a little ziplock with a note explaining what they are and where to track them. If you include a note, the more people will know that they are a sig item, and not just a random trade item.

Here are some new bottle cap coins I made for a friendly fellow cacher. I print the images on card stock because the casting resin saturates regular paper to the point you can see through it. And yes, those are googly eyes on Rocky dog.

-renzo

rockysampler4.jpg

Renzo- I tried making these after I saw a previous post of yours. They are SO cool! Mine didn't turn out nearly so good. I'll keep trying, though. These are really awesome and I love a dog theme!

We found some really neat pewter First Nations Spirit Coins at an equally neat museum in nearby (to us) Sooke, BC, Canada. Many different designs and each has a word on the reverse - Vision, Patience, Wisdom and more. They are not trackable, but do seem to be popular...we have started to call them tokens so as not to mislead fellow cachers. They can be seen at www.NativeArt.com I believe, and if I have contravened any rules here by mentioning that, please let me know.

Great thread, got some good idea's, thanks everyone for sharing. Made this, my first signature Item. White and blue poker chips, 50 for $14. Clear label sheets for printer $10. Can of poly coat $7.

0a2602c6-4eec-4929-8285-d262eb6b3e41.jpg

They look really good. I bought something similar on eBay about 4 years ago. Paid $13.75 for 35 of them. They were not as detailed as yours. You could only have 2 lines. Basically your name to a max of 15 characters and your caching anniversary to a max of 8 characters.

I am totally enjoying this thread! You incredibly talented and creative people have inspired me to spend way to much money on Sculpey clay and try my hand at some designing. I would love to learn how to do the caning, but that looks to be way to complicated for me! I just wanted to share what we've done so far.

Here is a pic of what we use as our "stamp".

white_baby_dragon_egg_card-p1376260.jpg

Here is the Sculpey token I tried to make. They didn't turn out very pretty, but I'm pretty darn proud of my first attempt at anything like this! ;)

eggbert.jpg

I have to figure out how to make these quicker. It's taking me about 20 mins right now to make one! Not to mention that I burned the first 4 that I made! :laughing: I also need to figure out an easier and neater way to put our name on the egg. My 6 year old was in charge of writing our name on the egg. You can see that he didn't get the whole word written on one line. ;)

Here is a cute little pin that I had made. They're 1" and you can get 100 of them for $30!!! ( I don't have anything to do with the company other than I've ordered from them) They'll even design pins for you!

eggbertpin.jpg

Just wanted to share! Thanks for looking :P

Nicole

Team Eggbert

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjunkala/?saved=1

just thought i would share my attempt at geocion making, whated to leave something other that toys in caches, thought it would be nice to leave handmade treasure, there are coins, key chain ( fits in micro) , or necklaces for the little girls, or big girls or who ever finds them. i always enjoy something unique in a box so this is my attempt. let me know what you think... jjunk

Not a good picture but these are mine. Still not completely cooled from the kiln.

dragonsig2.jpg

This one was done a few days ago and was the prototype for the ones above.

dragonsig1.jpg

those are gorgeous! i have to get myself in gear to make some more before spring happens, so when my car is fixed, again, i can start caching again.

I've recieved quite a few wooden tokens recently and wanted to start a thread where folks discuss the cool ones they have seen/have -- pictures would be cool too!

I'll start: Today I recieved the Fox & the Hound token! One as a keeper and one to go into a cache. They are very, very nice and I would hightly recommend this method of token creation to those not wishing to mint a coin.

Can you make a "coin" token out of anything? small metal or wood car? coin of any type with any saying on it? how do I go about starting?

degypsigirl asking

I've recieved quite a few wooden tokens recently and wanted to start a thread where folks discuss the cool ones they have seen/have -- pictures would be cool too!

I'll start: Today I recieved the Fox & the Hound token! One as a keeper and one to go into a cache. They are very, very nice and I would hightly recommend this method of token creation to those not wishing to mint a coin.

Can you make a "coin" token out of anything? small metal or wood car? coin of any type with any saying on it? how do I go about starting?

degypsigirl asking

you can make anything you want. there are dozens of examples in this thread - many with instructions!

lara

here are some of the sig items i have received with coin swaps, or found in caches or traded for.

a couple of things were made for me, just because, like the yellow duckies and red shoe., pawprint and cow thing. the little ceramic shoes came from, guess where?!

4253132430_66ed6e13f8_o.jpg

4253132126_10707e9498_o.jpg

4253131744_873099ea78_o.jpg

Edited by RedShoesGirl
Not a good picture but these are mine. Still not completely cooled from the kiln.

dragonsig2.jpg

This one was done a few days ago and was the prototype for the ones above.

dragonsig1.jpg

One of those would fit very nicely in our collection.

Are you going to GWVIII ? :(

I honestly don't know enough about GWVIII to say if I will be there.

Gots to keep a low profile too with all the pot stirring I do, ya know.

:tongue:

You could always come to Portland to see if you can follow my tracks and find one (I can tell you one cache that has 4 of them in it)

This is great!

I just discovered it this morning. A casualty of my usually only looking at the few forum messages at the top of the pile. This definitely interests me. In fact, I was just this morning "drawing" something to scan in and use as my avatar. It just might work on a wooden coin or something similar.

Keep it coming folks!! :tongue::(

Edited by carolnbarney

The more I read this thread, the more I like it!

I was recently reading another thread where folks were carrying on about the decline in the quality of swag in caches. And while there's certainly some merit in what they say, this kind of thing should be welcomed, enjoyed, and encouraged.

Is there some kind of arrangement in place, formal or non-formal, for trading and/or collecting these things??

I have a few technical questions.

Has anyone ever tried to use a Dremel engraver tool to hand etch metal?

If you use a stamp on your wooden nickels, what type of ink do you use that stays on? Do you have any problems with inks/paints running into the wood?

TIA :unsure:

I have used a Dremel for lots of things. They tend to want to spin off when using them to engrave on metal.

Most ink will run into wood just because it's porous. Some will run deeper and capillary action will draw it out (make it fuzzy looking) so you have to test ink, especially if using a stamp.

Hmm, the server seems to have lost my last attempt at a reply.

Anyways, I make mine that way.

sigitem.jpg

Each one takes about 15 minutes to make, and costs me about a dime. It's kinda hard to tell, but I use a butane torch to discolor the tag before I engrave it, so it comes out in a silver on bronze sort of scheme.

sigitem.jpg

Each one takes about 15 minutes to make, and costs me about a dime. It's kinda hard to tell, but I use a butane torch to discolor the tag before I engrave it, so it comes out in a silver on bronze sort of scheme.

Ooo neat thanks :lol: Is that with the tool on a very low (shallow) setting?

And what attachments did you use? I assume you have a finer one for the writing at the top?

Edited by Opalblade

,snip>

Ooo neat thanks :) Is that with the tool on a very low (shallow) setting?

And what attachments did you use? I assume you have a finer one for the writing at the top?

I use a 7144 diamond bit for the entire thing. The engraving itself is very shallow, since the tags are steel and very hard.

I just completed the casting of my first signature tokens. They are the size of a quarter and made of lead free pewter.

0ddbea56-11db-42db-896e-f40b47d044e6.jpg

I was wondering how you stamped your pewter coins.

I have a quantity of %60 silver droplets that would smash down to a dime sized coin

and would like to make a sig coin with them.

I just completed the casting of my first signature tokens.

I was wondering how you stamped your pewter coins.

I have a quantity of %60 silver droplets that would smash down to a dime sized coin

and would like to make a sig coin with them.

Perhaps the answer is he did not stamp the sig items.

Here are the ones I've come up with. My photo came out really blurry but they are basically hearts with a katana, "opalblade" written in cursive, then one of three types of shiruken and sometimes the year or tftc in cursive (in which case the year is on the back). I started playing around with incorporating the color red but liked just the black and silver the best. I wanted to get circles but they were all out when I went to Michaels and being the impatient type I grabbed hearts, also eyeballed the squares. Figured these could be a "I loved your cache" kind of thing. They will likely all be a little different, drawings and shape - more fun for me :) The hearts feel a bit cheesy but have been great to try different things on.

4365921011_0aeedba6f8_o.jpg

Edited by Opalblade

Here are the ones I've come up with. My photo came out really blurry but they are basically hearts with a katana,

What are these made of? Probably my "fuzzy" eyes, but they look like leather?

It's wood. They sell bags of flat wood shapes at Michaels. They've been great to practice on and figure out what kind of inks/paints work well on wood :unsure:

I'm testing the waters trying to come up with a polymer clay coin/signature item to use when caching. I bought a few different packs of clay and experimented with one of them today. On a scale of 1-10 about a conservative 5.... maybe!!

I know I made these too darned thick thinking they would shrink when baked, but if they did it wasn't much. Due to the size of the one main one I did, I only got one large one and a couple of small ones from one pack of clay. My purpose today was just to see how hand lettering them wouild go and how a compass rose rubber stamp would work.

My question to you folks who have a lot more expertise and experience in this than I do is this.........

How thick do you roll the clay out on average before you cut the shapes for your coins/tokens/etc.??? I rolled it to 1/4 inch today. Looked like darned red cookies. :rolleyes::huh: