Gallery of Hand Made Geocoins, Sig coins and tokens.

Thankyou so much for the nice comments about our Pirate Tokens!! ;) At this point Mrs. Pirate is finished finding designs, printing, cutting out and pasting the decals on our 2006 series of tokens - so what better way to spend her time then sitting here on the geocoin forums. It's kinda funny as she had just come upstairs after referring to Mr. Pirate as "the guy who lives in the basement" (No he doesn't live in the basement it just seems that way at this time of the year when he is busy sanding and putting varathane on the tokens) when she clicked on this thread and read those nice things. We will have to try and post a picture of the new tokens. It will be easy if Mrs. Pirate can remember where she read how to post a picture. ;) For those of you that are familiar with our tokens.......we changed the design on the back this year!!!!

I must say we have amassed quite the collection of Pirate Tokens...we've got 16!

th_winterspring2006107.jpg

th_DSCF0139.jpg

**used the photo enhance that I had and made it a little better?

Many thanks to Fox and Hound for helping me out. While my image isn't exacly crisp and clear I hope that you get the idea. (my camera batteries were almost dead and naturally I had no more so only got one shot) These are fimo using the method of caning as taught by WorkerofWood.

Edited by summerandnana

th_winterspring2006107.jpg

Many thanks to Fox and Hound for helping me out. While my image isn't exacly crisp and clear I hope that you get the idea. (my camera batteries were almost dead and naturally I had no more so only got one shot) These are fimo using the method of caning as taught by WorkerofWood.

These are VERY cool tokens - I got some in trade - thanks summerandnana!!!!

:lol:

I'm planning an attempt at a FIMO token... any suggestions out there?

:P Contact Worker of Wood, he is the FIMO master!!! He also teaches a class on it I believe. :)

SummerandNana also uses FIMO to make tokens, they may have some helpful advice.

Edited by 57chevy

:P Contact Worker of Wood, he is the FIMO master!!! He also teaches a class on it I believe. :)

SummerandNana also uses FIMO to make tokens, they may have some helpful advice.

Ahhh..now I know what you are talking about. Very cool stuff! Go for good detail and strong colors - it makes the whole token more striking!

How intricate do you want your coin. For my first coin I carved a design out of a 'linolium block'(found at the hobby store) and then I took a ball of fimo and pressed it between the 2 designs. Once the designs are carved it's like an assembly line, goes very quickly. I used baby powder on both halves of stamp to keep fimo from sticking. Painted and glossed it. It can be as intricate or as simple as you want.

For my 2nd coin if your interested in caning let me know, it's a bit more complicated but fun.

I tried the intricate way tonight... but I'm afraid I don't have the patience to do this... I think I will make a mold and set up a stamp type system.

Maybe try the other way at a later date.

As usual... I see the image and how to do it in my head, but my hands don't want to cooperate at the moment.

I think I will take a piece of metal and make a cookie cutter type also... don't know exactly what I'm doing here... just have to attempt it and scrap it if necessary.

Heck... I got 6 packs of FIMO and it didn't cost me anything. Someone else bought it for me, so worst case... I'm only out time.

Finished my first attempt at a FIMO token... baking them right now... basically using the baking process for a test... I'm not 100% happy with them. But I'v learned some from it. I'll have to modify my plan and go from there. I'll post an image of the best of them after they are finished... but don't get too excited. :lol:

Have to work on my technique.

Alright... here it is... I may try to buff them up with my Dremel before I scrap them.

Here is my first attempt...

165343521_c103fec4fa_m.jpg

Wanted to try something basic until I got the kinks worked out... probably wasn't basic enough. Design was a little different than what I got.

Good job MetroGT!

I like it.

Email me when your ready to trade.

:ninja:

Eagle-2

:D Ditto. ;)

:drama: Oh and MetroGT when you're ready to trade, I want to work something out for one of your newer wooden nickels. :ninja:

:D Also Eagle-2 have I told you how much I like the tokens you sent?... They're awesome. :) Thanks again. - 57'

Tried polishing one of them up today, but I still don't have it the way I want.

If I do get them the way I want then I'll trade these, but there are only 20 and there will not be a second run of this design. :drama:

Wow, an LE, gotta have one of those! E-mail me if you decide to trade them. :ninja:

summerandnana

Here's my second attempt at a FIMO Token...

Just got them finished up... Tagged them with MetroGT/2006/# XXX

166806635_e695fd704e_m.jpg

F.Y.I. Decided I'll trade the first design off too... better than just scraping them. That way some of you guys can see the progress as I get better.

Since I have 20 of the first design and 30 of the second one... the first 19 trades will get the first design included with the second design. ( I kept the #001 of each :rolleyes: )

The first design is between the size of a nickel or quarter and the second is between the size of a dime and nickel.

If you wanna trade... drop me an email.

Edited by MetroGT

F.Y.I. Decided I'll trade the first design off too... better than just scraping them. That way some of you guys can see the progress as I get better.

Since I have 20 of the first design and 30 of the second one... the first 19 trades will get the first design included with the second design. ( I kept the #001 of each :rolleyes: )

The first design is between the size of a nickel or quarter and the second is between the size of a dime and nickel.

You have Mail! :P

They both look good, MetroGT!!! Great job!

Thanx for the compliments guys and gals... but they are nothing compared to summerandnana and workerofwood. Thanx to summerandnana... I have the concept figured out now and I'm planning out a new one... more detailed... went out and bought a bunch of FIMO today to start tonight/tomorrow. Have the design in my head... just have to get it in FIMO now! :)

Thanx for the compliments guys and gals... but they are nothing compared to summerandnana and workerofwood. Thanx to summerandnana... I have the concept figured out now and I'm planning out a new one... more detailed... went out and bought a bunch of FIMO today to start tonight/tomorrow. Have the design in my head... just have to get it in FIMO now! :)

You are addicted now, have fun. Need any advice let me know.

OK... here it is... thankfully summerandnana told me how to prevent the twisting again because it looked good before I rolled it out to thin it...

169276721_aba975883c_o.jpg

I'll drop one in the mail for the five people that have already arranged trades for my other two screw-ups.... or um... FIMO tokens. :anibad:

At least I'm getting somewhat better... now if only I could do it without it costing me any money. :)

OK... here it is... thankfully summerandnana told me how to prevent the twisting again because it looked good before I rolled it out to thin it...

I'll drop one in the mail for the five people that have already arranged trades for my other two screw-ups.... or um... FIMO tokens. :)

At least I'm getting somewhat better... now if only I could do it without it costing me any money. :)

Hey that looks pretty good to me, you should have seen the first letters that I made. My 'e' ended upside down. :anibad: Can't wait to get my tokens, thanks.

Fimo/Sculpey stuff is addicting isn't it! It's so much fun playing with it and coming up with new designs. Just do what I'm doing, have a seasonal one, that wya you can try new stuff all the time, or heck monthly. Course the way your going it might just be weekly! Just keep em coming my way! You might want to think about tracking through sigitems.com too!

I'll drop one in the mail for the five people that have already arranged trades for my other two screw-ups.... or um... FIMO tokens. :)

Hey that looks pretty good to me, you should have seen the first letters that I made. My 'e' ended upside down. :anibad: Can't wait to get my tokens, thanks.

I think I might need some of these classes! I want letters!

Fimo/Sculpey stuff is addicting isn't it! It's so much fun playing with it and coming up with new designs. Just do what I'm doing, have a seasonal one, that wya you can try new stuff all the time, or heck monthly. Course the way your going it might just be weekly! Just keep em coming my way! You might want to think about tracking through sigitems.com too!

As for the tracking... when I finish one that I'm proud of enough to actually want it tracked, I will look into that. But as of right now... I'll just drop/trade these little buggers off and keep trying.

:laughing: Wow.... I just recently looked into doing the fimo / caning type tokens. It looks to be VERY involved/labor intensive. My hat is off to you all that have made these. I know that sometime I'm gonna have to give this a shot, so any tips will be appreciated. -57' :unsure:

The Moops' stamped pennies??! As seen on this page?

I would dearly love to learn how to do that. Does one need to have any special skills? Where would you buy something to do that?

I only have shrinky dink 'coins' stamped with my bubble dragon stamp I'd be happy to trade a few to glean some info about it. ;o)

I ask only because I'm obsessed with squished pennies, but the cost of designing a squished penny is a little prohibitive (would be around $2 each for the first 100) If this would be a might bit cheaper, I could make them for team PWND, which is my family. :))

(If it's a trade secret, I understand, I'd hate to step on any cacher's toes and steal their thunder!)

~bubbledragon

(Edited to fix crazy forum link code)

Edited by BubbleDragon

The Moops' stamped pennies??! As seen on <a href="http://members.cox.net/sakscacher/coins/moops-penny.jpg">this page</a>?

I would dearly love to learn how to do that. Does one need to have any special skills? Where would you buy something to do that?

I only have shrinky dink 'coins' stamped with my <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v80/bubbledragon/?action=view&current=dragonstamp.jpg">bubble dragon stamp</a> I'd be happy to trade a few to glean some info about it. ;o)

I ask only because I'm obsessed with squished pennies, but the cost of designing a squished penny is a little prohibitive (would be around $2 each for the first 100) If this would be a might bit cheaper, I could make them for team PWND, which is my family. :rolleyes:)

(If it's a trade secret, I understand, I'd hate to step on any cacher's toes and steal their thunder!)

~bubbledragon

I don't know if Mr. Moops peruses this forum, but since I have it on my alert list, here goes.

The Moops Mini is created using a 50? ton hydraulic press (ssssshhh, don't tell his boss). He has access to such a large press through work. He fired a die with some toolmaker friends and uses fresh coppers from the bank to make shiny minis. Very cost effective since all he inputs are pennies (and the bags and tags I guess).

I would recommend you find a machine shop with a press, diemaker, and free time . . . OH wait, that won't work. Sorry. :) To be serious, his method is not going to work unless you actually DO have access to all those things. It's pretty cool though, huh?

TMA

***edited for spelling

Edited by The Moop Along

LOL! I love that picture. I tried to get in contact with the artist (you can see my comment on his site) but failed. I did edit it just slighty... see my bubble? *grin* It was my first stamp carving and I'm ever so proud of it.

Also, the Moop Along - thanks for the info! Conveniently, I do have a brother looking to go into machining, but seeing as how he'd be just an apprentice, I ought to lay off the poor boy, hmm? I had once seen a guy make something similar with copper blanks and a large (huge) weight dropped from a height - this was at a rennaissance festival, and he made necklaces with them.

Thanks so much folks! Excellent thread! :))

~bubbledragon

Edited by BubbleDragon