Visitor needs to find Durban area cache(s) large enough for TBs

NevaP

Hi all of you down there. Greetings from Lincoln, Nebraska USA. We will be making our first visit to Africa, June 22 to July 15.

We will be in Durban, July 6-12 attending the International Congress of Entomology. At the last International Congress in Brisbane, Australia, 2004 I released two Travel Bugs, ICE Beetle andICE Mantid . They both did quite well, racking up 33,328 and 24,600 miles before encountering difficulties in the last year. But they survived (well, the beetle's tag did), are home, and retired.

I want to turn loose a couple new bugs , preferably in the Durban vicinity, but I'm having trouble finding caches within walking distance to our Golden Mile hotel, which are big enough to hold a bug and not too tricky to find in limited time. I'll do smallish bugs but I need at least a decon can sized cache. Stuken Gardens is the closest to our hotel and it seems to be missing. Everything else I can find close is a micro or a complicated multi.

We will have a car for a few days, July12-14, and we will be staying at a B&B in Nottingham Road. I did spot a couple small caches, Happy Hill and Waterbend, on the way there.

The earlier part of the trip, before Durban is a week of *SERIOUS* birding in the western Cape and north of Pretoria, followed by a standard four day Kruger Park - see- the -elephants tour. When you are hiring bird guides at $$$ a day you don't waste their time looking for caches. I will have caches in my GPS but I won't be looking for them unless I find myself right on top of them when there is no interesting bird in view.

So I am open to any advice about caches in Durban and even wondering if maybe someone there could meet me and grab the bugs.

Thanks and happy caching to all,

NevaP

There are plenty of caches in Durban that will meet your requirements! Central Durban search will result in some mircos etc. but if you head out of Town on the M13 / N3 you will find what you are looking for -

Wetlands Wander in Everton will get you done to the Wetlands that are always full with birds... Even if you take your dog

If all else fails you are more than welcome to drop us a mail and we can meet you.

Hi NevaP,

On your way to Nottingham Road, you will be passing through my territory (Pietermaritzburg and Hilton - sometimes known as Blackjack Territory! :o ).

There are quite a few caches, close to your route, which are big enough for your bugs - many of them are mine. Have a look at GC17XK6 (Kettlefontein View), GCNORD (Troll Hole) and GC14BDN (The Conservatory) as examples.

You are more than welcome to give me a call/email beforehand if you would like to meet.