Mega Event Interest?

Skippermark

reach bout to the local geocaching org in the Westchester area: Metro NY Geocaching Society

They can help plan stuff in the area and help get folks to attend

Finding a good site for a Mega Event in Westchester may be tricky, otherwise great idea geographical-wise. We (or more specifically Paladin8 and MarkSun, though I've given some suggestions) are just trying to get a REGULAR event going

We have a friend that says, "if you host it, they will come..."

Keep the first few simple, a get together at a local restaurant or something. Maybe have a raffle for some containers or something that a few cachers donate.

Trust me, you'll be surprised at how many people show up and as words spreads about the good time that was had, more people will come.

We'd love to see a MEGA event in the area - we didn't attend GW6 ut GW5 was simple a fairgrounds area near a cache dense area - there ahas to be similar areas in NY somewhere between Albany and Westchester. Post on a couple of local forums outside of your area of NY (NYGO, NYCRG, LIGO, etc) as well as Westchester and get the buzz started...then ask for location suggestions....then committees........

If you post it MANY will come

I'd love to see a mega event in the northeast and have some ideas. If anyone is interested in co-hosting, let's talk. Thanks!.

:D

The Allegany State Park GeoBash went Mega this year. So you must mean ANOTHER Mega event, eh?

Nah, allengeny is closer to the midwest than the mid atlantic :) And 236 attended logs = a mega now! :D We had twice that at GCF last year and didn't go mega :huh:

Nah, allengeny is closer to the midwest than the mid atlantic :D And 236 attended logs = a mega now! :D We had twice that at GCF last year and didn't go mega :huh:

I believe they count geocaching names, and not individual attendees, so a family of 5 counts as 1. Was it 500+ people or caching names?

I believe they count geocaching names, and not individual attendees, so a family of 5 counts as 1. Was it 500+ people or caching names?

I think it's people, not caching names. Families of 5 count at 5 people as far as I understand it.

A regular Event Cache can be changed to a Mega-Event Cache after the fact, if the organizers demonstrate to Groundspeak that more than 500 people attended.

I'm one of the committee for the ASPGB event.

It is individuals attended, not registered cacher names that counts as "attended". We had a bunch of first-time-to-geocaching people attend.

For instance, we had three folks bicycling in the park that wandered in and stayed for a while. They left talking about getting GSPr's of their own. We also had many families; this has always been designed as a family friendly event - we have many children's activities and new caches that are set up with small ones in mind.

As it was, we threw out a bunch of questionable logs. We also had several disinterested parties count the names in the logbook. Then we had to send the book to Groundspeak to be examined by them before we were given the mega status.

Edited by ATMouse

I'd love to see a mega event in the northeast and have some ideas. If anyone is interested in co-hosting, let's talk. Thanks!.

The Allegany State Park GeoBash went Mega this year. So you must mean ANOTHER Mega event, eh?

;)

Nah, allengeny is closer to the midwest than the mid atlantic :rolleyes: And 236 attended logs = a mega now! :D We had twice that at GCF last year and didn't go mega ;)

Why not? I don't understand...if you had the attendence, and wanted the Mega designation...why didn't you go through the process?

We got the designation after the fact - why not see if you can get it if you had the attendence?

Edited by ATMouse

As it was, we threw out a bunch of questionable logs. We also had several disinterested parties count the names in the logbook. Then we had to send the book to Groundspeak to be examined by them before we were given the mega status.

Thanks for the heads up on how it's counted. Do you get your logbook back?

We need more events in Westchester! I can come if it is on a good date. I was thinking we could do one at Ridge Road Park in Ardsley. We can have a barbeque, every one who comes should bring something. We could probably hire a clown or magician for a day. Ardsley is easy for everyone to acess in Westchester. At the end we could have a big bug swap!

We need more events in Westchester! I can come if it is on a good date. I was thinking we could do one at Ridge Road Park in Ardsley. We can have a barbeque, every one who comes should bring something. We could probably hire a clown or magician for a day. Ardsley is easy for everyone to acess in Westchester. At the end we could have a big bug swap!

Ridge Road Park is an excellent choice, though I wonder if it would be considered too small for a "mega" event.