Geocacher Geocoin Holders ... How did you start?

lordzogat

How did you get most of your geocoins?

Do you actually find them in caches, or are most of your coins from trading? What percentage?

If trading is the case, did you start out by buying your own run of coin and trading from there or did you acquire a few and go from there?

I looked into the cost of getting coins made and was a little turned off by the initial cost. Granted I can see why its high as your getting a quality coin, but that can be alot for some to dish out.

If your willing to post your responses it will help me learn the best way to get into some ceocoin collecting or trading. I have yet to ever find a geocoin that is not a travel bug. B) I have been placing my Geo Tokens as a souviner for people who find the caches I frequent.

I have posted in the Geocoins Trading Pinned Thread, but my tokens don't really fall under the category of geocoin.

geocoin12.jpg

Thansk for answering the questions as it will help me where to go next. I would liek to acquire a few coins for myself and don' have any really set preferences, but have seen some really neat coins.

LordZogat

When I started out, like you, I did my own "geotoken" called the Petroglyph Series. I sent out about 40 total to the US and International to be placed in caches around the world. I made 150 total of these Petroglyphs and I was lucky enough that many people took a chance on me and traded me coins for these. That and buying them is how I got started. I've had a number of people ask me to do another animal to the series but I'm sure you know how much work goes into handmade sig items.... not sure I want to do another round but I've been thinking about it, lol.

Here's some pics of what mine looked like and how they were packaged. Trust me, you'll find people who will trade coins for your tokens, give it some time and once you get feedback from those who receive your tokens, you'll get more requests. Marky also has a site sigitem.com that you might want to check out! I'll be contacting you soon and keep up the great original work!

tsun

TsunrisebeyPetroglyphSeriesFront-ful.jpg

Tsunwrappedpetros-fullinit_.jpg

Edited by tsunrisebey

I had my own geocoin made after finding trackable ones in caches. I didn't even know that people collected and traded them until I discovered geocoins on ebay and listed one of mine and that led to trade offers and the geocoin forums and my addiction began and is still going strong!

To keep the cost down I only did 100 coins, so no icon but that is how it goes! Some gifted people have been able to design coins and have some of the cost absorbed by selling them through a website, for example the new Cache Aid coin.

We found a few in caches and were given a few by the owner of one of the geocoin "stores" who happened to live near one of our caches. Bought a few on ebay until we realized there were on-line vendors and this forum B) Then took the plunge and designed one ourselves.

Some of the existing vendors will partner with you if they like your design. Depending on how many they sell, you might have to buy less than 100 (the typical min order) or if they sell lots, they give you some free coins. If you partner though, your design may get tweaked and/or delayed. We just went that route and are very happy. The project took about 3 months longer than I originally thought it would.

Short of being independently wealthy, a trust fund baby or very disciplined with your trades and your budget having your own coin minted would be the quickest way to building up a collection, IMHO.

You've got some great ideas there in your handmade coins tokens. I'd be surprised if you minted one that didn't sell well or trade even better.

I had what I thought was a great idea for a coin, I put together some artwork and shot it off to a vendor. They liked the idea and offered to produce and sell it, there was some collaboration on the finer details, from initial concept to coin in hand a little over 6 weeks or so and I got a number of coins in 'payment' which I can now use as traders.

I've seen mentioned a few times having a coin minted for you. I'm still a noob, but, this sounds like it would be cool. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to have this done, and associated costs? I would appreciate it :o

Actually if you read the pinned topic about geocoins at the top of this forum they will list in the rules the various coin manufacturers they are associated with. I found on my first request it was going to be about $7 a coin min run of 100.