Send to GPS Question?

mhing

I have just bought my unit - Legend HCx - I have down-loaded a few geocaches from geocaching.com using the send to GPS feature.

My question is - is there a way to transfer or access the info about the cache that shows on the website on my GPS - I got to a few of the cache locations but forgot some of the details & yes I admit it hints!!

Do I just have to improve my memory or print off / write down this info?

I am determined to get my first find soon!!

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have just bought my unit - Legend HCx - I have down-loaded a few geocaches from geocaching.com using the send to GPS feature.

My question is - is there a way to transfer or access the info about the cache that shows on the website on my GPS - I got to a few of the cache locations but forgot some of the details & yes I admit it hints!!

I am determined to get my first find soon!!

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The Garmin Colorado has the ability to show logs, hints and description on the GPS screen, but it is basically the only Garmin device to do so.

In spite of that we still keep a binder with cache printouts in the car. And just to be on the safe side ( B);) ) I also load the caches on a PDA (that doubles as a TomTom roadway GPS)

As others have noted, only the Name and comment can be imported to your GPS. If you become a Premium Member, you will have access to Pocket Queries that will contain all that extra information (and allow you access to subscriber-only caches). Then you'll be able to have that extra information - but still can't import to the GPS. There are a number of forum sites that talk about ways to do "paperless" caching but they all use some combination of GPS (for the coordinates) and a PDA (for the details.

The software combination I use is GSAK and Cachemate. No paper.

<snip>

<snip>

Unless you become a Premium Member so you can get the .gpx files, which contain more information, you will have to print out, or write down the information.

When you become a Premium Member and request Pocket Queries and use GSAK to handle the data, you can get a Waypoint name that will give you useful information, including part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain.

You can also get the Hint on your GPSr. Using Garmin's POI loader, you can get even more information on your Legend HCx when you send the cache waypoints to the GPSr as POIs because those have more characters available.

You still might want an inexpensive PDA like a Palm m500 or m515 so you have access to the entire cache description and the Past Logs. B)

Great post. I have a Explorist 500 already and it was real easy to move between pocket queries and see the hints. I am having a hard time figuring that out on this etrex Legend HCx.

I tried to load the POI Loader but it gave me an error. I used GSAK to send the data to the Legend, but I couldn't figure out how to use the %hint command. Where do I put that in GSAK?

Is there a way to switch back and forth between pocket queries like on my Exlporist or do I just load a bunch of waypoints that I plan on using for that day into the Legend? How many can I fit on the Legend?

Thanks for your help. I am still trying to decide if I want to keep this Legend or not. I ordered it for a friend but he wants a Nuvi instead. Tool.