What is your cache density

Based on several recent threads asking about distance to the nearest unfound cache, exceeding the 500 cache limit on searches, etc I wondered how different areas compared in terms of cache density.

Go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page, Enter in your address in the first box, then select the radius to 5 miles

and do the search. Note the number then do the same for 10, 25, and 50 miles. Here is what I get for Ithaca, NY.

5 miles: 105

10 miles: 155

25 miles: 534

50 miles: 1891

Based on several recent threads asking about distance to the nearest unfound cache, exceeding the 500 cache limit on searches, etc I wondered how different areas compared in terms of cache density.

Go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page, Enter in your address in the first box, then select the radius to 5 miles

and do the search. Note the number then do the same for 10, 25, and 50 miles. Here is what I get for Ithaca, NY.

5 miles: 105

10 miles: 155

25 miles: 534

50 miles: 1891

Tampa, FL:

5 Miles: 160

10 Miles: 463

25 Miles: 1894

50 Miles: 3629

And just for giggles: 1 Mile: 6.

91523, a zip in Burbank CA (I have no idea whether this represents the most cache dense part of the great SoCal megagopolis, I just used it for starters)

5 miles 595

10 --- 1,619

25 --- 6,135

50 -- 17,866 (which is more caches than in the entire state of Florida).

I'm wondering if I'd started with something north of San Diego if I might have seen more initial density.

Somewhere near the Armpit of the Universe, WA:

05: 42

10: 104

25: 246

50: 1253

It's somewhat interesting to look at the 'types' of caches in this run-down for me. I live approx 50 (driving) miles from the nearest 'big city'. It would take me longer to drive to any ONE of most of the caches in the nearest 10 and 25 mile range than it would be for me to drive the 50 miles to the next town up, pick up a minimum of a dozen caches and drive home.

michelle

Man, I feel like I live in a cache-desolate wasteland when viewing these numbers. ;)

My numbers should make you fell a little better. B)

I decided to check out Stewart, MS, my home town and where my family still calls home:

05 Miles: 0 (zippo)

10 Miles: 1

25 Miles: 54 (we hit a few slightly larger towns at this range)

50 Miles: 344 (we hit a few even larger towns, including one "college town")

91523, a zip in Burbank CA (I have no idea whether this represents the most cache dense part of the great SoCal megagopolis, I just used it for starters)

50 -- 17,866 (which is more caches than in the entire state of Florida).

To heck with Florida, that's more than the almost all other states, (probably ALL states, but I didn't both to check them all [EDIT - Texas has 24,592). Also probably more than any country other than the US and some European countries.

Edited by J-Way

Cache density.....I am so cache dense I often have trouble finding 1/1 caches. B)

No really,

5 miles 318

10 Miles 717

25 miles 1339

50 miles 2940

Results subject to change within the next 24 hours based upon archival and publish activity.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Somerset, Ky.

5 miles - 12

10 miles - 22

25 miles - 76

50 miles - 387

And this is one of the reasons I am very against blowing through 100 caches in a day. I would only be able to geocache for 4 days and then I would be through.

Edited by themeecer