"First to hide"

CapeDoc

Have you ever thought "thats a great place for a cache" but know you will never get round to hiding one there? Or don't put one there because you couldn't maintain it? What about good caches that have been disabled due to owners being unable to maintain or losing intrest in geocaching?

How about a South African "First to Hide" concept? Give those people with great ideas for caches, but not the ability to place or maintian, a place to share their ideas and let others hide them.

The hider could then get a small accolade of "First to hide". That may not apeal to all, but then what of just the list of "good idea" caches?

I have one or two ideas for hides that I probably won't get round to.

There are some disabled caches that I would like to see re-hidden.

What are you thoughts?

CapeDoc ... or just identify the disabled/archived caches and/or caches not being maintained any more ... list them and arrange an adoption by a nearby active cacher and keep them going!!

Yes, put them on a page, in the forums somewhere sothat others can take over...or rehide.

Ding bat ... The problem is that although we all know this and practised by dedicated Geocachers the problem is that those cachers who has lost interest in the game just vanish from the scene and their caches deteriorates with no maintenance being done.

I, and I'm sure the rest of us, have come across many caches described above. I support the creation of an "Adoption List" where we list such cases, according to certain criteria to determine the state of deterioration or neglect, and try to arrange adoption by the nearest active cacher OR get them to be archived and create space for another cacher to place a cache!! A deteriorated/neglected cache is geolitter!!

I think it is important to keep these caches active ... without caches we have no game!!

Happy Hunting! B)

Edited by Cape_Guy

Ding bat ... The problem is that although we all know this and practised by dedicated Geocachers the problem is that those cachers who has lost interest in the game just vanish from the scene and their caches deteriorates with no maintenance being done.

I, and I'm sure the rest of us, have come across many caches described above. I support the creation of an "Adoption List" where we list such cases, according to certain criteria to determine the state of deterioration or neglect, and try to arrange adoption by the nearest active cacher OR get them to be archived and create space for another cacher to place a cache!! A deteriorated/neglected cache is geolitter!!

I think it is important to keep these caches active ... without caches we have no game!!

Happy Hunting! B)

Mmmmm - certainly an issue that I'd love to see a solution for.....

Cache adoptions are only allowed by mutual consent now, so if the cache owner doesn't respond to an adoption request, then it can't be adopted even if the cacher has emigrated.

As long as the cache is in good repair and remains active there's no problem. ;)

If maintenance is required and not done, then I'll address it, and archive the cache if necessary after the proper process has been followed (can take up to 4 months).

I will unarchive a cache if it's subsequently replaced provided that another cache has not been placed at that location.

I try to keep track of maintenance issues but it's not easy, and some I don't notice, so feel free to bring such issues to my attention (not online - by email please).

I'll soon be doing another "grim reaper" walk through maintenance issues..... ;)

What about the other issue?

Havn't you got good ideas for caches?

For example: Hangklip There is no cache atop this iconic entrance to False Bay! I know the chances of me putting one there are slim. Are you in the position to do it? Want to be first to hide?

What others have you got to offer?