Thoughts about caches

I have just started placing my own caches and since ammo boxes can be kinda pricey, most of them are micros. Especially since the local wal mart has match containrs for 89 cents.

While I enjoy placing and watching all of my caches thus far, I often have thought about how much more I enjoy tromping through the woods or what not to find a nice ammo box full of swag to trade and sig items to sift through. Or even better yet is returning to a place cache of mine and seeing what swag has left and what has came in. This makes me wonder if maybe I shouldn't place so many of the "park and go" kind of micro and focus more in larger containers. I've tried to make my micros into puzzle caches but after the intial burst they don't seem to get many visitors.

So my question now is as a cacher do you enjoy the larger finds? or take solice in no go no where micros laying around? I've read and talked to some caches who feel that useless png's ruin the spirit of the game. But I've also talked to alot of geocachers who don't like to hike out into the middle of no where for a plastic lizard.

Edited by Moobeat

I enjoy the hunt but I have found it is much more fun to find a actual container that I can look through.

We are planning 6 caches. All ammo boxes. We are in the process of getting them camoed. Setting up the swag for each of them that matches the theme and the location.

The bigger ones are just more fun.

ammo cans > other stuff

:wub:

I've placed 4 caches: 2 micros, one nano, and one ammo can, and I feel a lot better about the ammo can.

I've also given away about 6 (or 8?) ammo cans to local cachers, pre-camo'ed and ready to go, so I don't feel so horrible about my smaller containers.

Anyway, I'm not really about the swag, but I just dig an ammo can (I'm ex-military).

I enjoy the hunt but, to find a coin I've never seen or TB with a original mission makes it way more interesting to me. The kids say it's like Christmas each time. You never know what you're going to find. I will say that after finding our first micro this weekend, I am impressed by the way they can be hidden. They make the hunt a lot more difficult.

I enjoy the variety. :wub:

Of course, you don't have to buy an ammo can to make a regular size cache. There are some pretty good containers at wal-mart for cheap, just make sure the lid connects well with the container. You can get lock-n-locks for five bucks or less, and some stores sell ammo cans for 4-6 bucks. Perhaps you could save up and buy something bigger and just place a few less caches.

Another thing that you can do, is go to garage sales. I've found good quality tupperware for something like 10 cents. If the tupperware is broken or warped, tupperware has a policy that they will replace it for free. Then you'd have a brand new container for super cheap. :wub:

I'm not sure what is considered pricey for you, I was always trying to find free containers when I started, but now I have a little more that I can spend on them, and when I need to replace one my current favorite is a watertight box from the camping section at walmart. they have a rubber seal and one side has a full length hinge, the other had two clamps to close the box. small(maybe a pint?) is about 6 dollars and large(maybe a quart?) is about eight.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

If you're placing micros, thank you for using that matchsafe, a container that will hold up well for a couple of years, maybe longer - eventually the o ring degrades, but it can be replaced.

Personally I've found ammo cans to be the cheapest container to own over time. If you're thinking in terms of years of life expectancy, it's worth placing ammo cans, and replacing your non-ammo can hides with cans as you can afford them (in locations that will support ammo cans, obviously - suburban and urban locals are often better served by that matchsafe).

As a finder, frankly I don't care much. I rarely trade and only move coins or TBs if I'm aware that one has been stuck in a more remote cache for a long period. I like the variety, but I confess, if I'm on a longer hike, heading to a cache placed in say the winter of '05, I do like reading "ammo can" as the odds that it's still in place are much higher than a micro. Lock and locks are nearly as good. And some other plastic containers, like the blue rimmed Rubbermaid. I don't own any Tupperware brand caches - though they will get chewed, perhaps this is less of a problem in your region. I've found that anything a rodent can chew on, they will.

I prefer caches with regular sized containers that involve something of a nice walk. Micros are OK if they are in a high traffic area that warrants them, but there is something about the sound of the clunk of an ammo can as you drag it from its hiding place, the sucking sound as you open it and pawing through the contents that says geocaching to me.

As far as micros, there is no rule saying they have to be pointless park and grabs. You can make your micros interesting by putting some thought into the location.

If you decide to start placing larger caches there are cost effective options. You can get a Lock n Lock at Walmart for under $3. Also with recent concerns about Nalgene for storing water, many sporting goods stores are dumping their Nalgene bottles for a couple of bucks. Even ammo boxes can be found for under $4 if you know where to look.

I'm not sure what is considered pricey for you, I was always trying to find free containers when I started, but now I have a little more that I can spend on them, and when I need to replace one my current favorite is a watertight box from the camping section at walmart. they have a rubber seal and one side has a full length hinge, the other had two clamps to close the box. small(maybe a pint?) is about 6 dollars and large(maybe a quart?) is about eight.

I bought one of those clear Walmart boxes for a few bucks on clearance last fall and did a complete weather test (I tossed it out in one of my wife's flower beds and promptly forgot about it). It was unearthed from its tomb in the mulch a few weeks ago. I was originally worried about the hinges and latches rusting, but none was visible. The contents were completely dry. This wasn't a true test (which would have required constant opening and closing to test the seal), but I'm happy with it. I'll place it sometime later this summer.

As far as finding, when I'm alone I'm not overly influence by container size unless it's a micro in the woods... I hate those. I'm not big on trading because that requires hauling around lots of junk in my cache bag. I occasional deal in TB's and Coins, otherwise it's TNLNSL for me.

On the other hand, if I have my 3-year-old tagging along, then the only thing I'll hunt is regular or large. He loves pawing through the junk and sorting everything out. He especially loves race cars and bouncy balls.

But ultimately, in spite of what my find statistics say, I'll completely agree with briansnat that there's something about an ammo can that just epitomizes geocaching. :wub:

There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives to ammo cans. (Although they are the best imo) The Lock & Locks as mentioned are great. Here are two of my newest caches. One's a Lock and Lock and the other...... a Maxwell House container. A little spray paint for camo and Voila!

a07eb4b0-6758-4d41-9d37-3cc4e9160e82.jpg

5cf3270b-4a2d-4dee-bd1d-3338dae996ae.jpg

as usual, be sure to clean any non-ammo can well and if it's plastic, use the spray paints specially made for plastic.

i hid a ton of smalls and micros on my first round. Now i've been encouraged to upgrade them to smalls and regulars in a "better" area of the park.

some people don't mind a quick png for the numbers, most most tend to enjoy a good hide. finding a micro dangling from a bare tree just doesn't do it for me anymore.

As a cache owner I generally prefer to get a log like this than a log like this.

Likewise.

Also, as a cache finder, I prefer to leave logs like this, and not this.

To the OP: hide the types of caches you'd like to find. If you don't enjoy looking for a match container in the pavement jungle, why hide one? There are P.L.E.N.T.Y. of folks out there who will pick up where you left off.

Addendum: don't hide poorly coordinated match containers in the forest either, ok?

michelle

To the OP-hide the kinds of caches that you would enjoy looking for and finding. I generally subscribe to the theory that you should place the largest container that the location will support, but it takes some experience to learn that.

To the pretty gal above me-don't be so dismissive about asphalt/concrete jungle caches. They can be pretty creative and educational if the hider takes the time to make it that way.

There really is a lot to be said about the often disparaged park-n-grab micros--For one thing, there are a lot of cachers (like my husband and myself) who are mobility impaired and can't go for those lovely 5 mile hikes for the double-wide ammo cans in the woods. We enjoy all the various types of containers, and some micros and small containers can be very clever and interesting. They aren't always used to pump up the numbers. We appreciate the fact that there are plenty of easy to get to micros in our area.

Also, we try to place a large variety of caches for others to enjoy. Granted, they are mostly very easy to get to, but not always easy to find. B)

I generally subscribe to the theory that you should place the largest container that the location will support, but it takes some experience to learn that.

I generally subscribe to this too. There's nothing worse than walking a mile through the woods to get a bison tube. However, I do get tired of constantly finding containers that you can spot from 100 feet away because the hide is so obvious.

Ideally, a multi with some well thought out micros as stages and then a big final is good or a couple regular traditionals with a micro mixed in here or there to add some challenge is fun too.

To the OP-hide the kinds of caches that you would enjoy looking for and finding. I generally subscribe to the theory that you should place the largest container that the location will support, but it takes some experience to learn that.

To the pretty gal above me-don't be so dismissive about asphalt/concrete jungle caches. They can be pretty creative and educational if the hider takes the time to make it that way.

To the cockroach cooking chef... creative and educational micro's are always enjoyable. I'd even make a conscious effort TO find one if it was in the cards Heck, I created a creative and (un)educational micro once, myself. (Shh, don't tell anyone!)

I truly don't disparage a great idea... but given a choice I would drive 30 miles out into the sticks on a gravel road in my over-$4-a-gallon gas guzzling suburban to find a box in the woods rather than .5 paved miles to pick up a tin or film cannister stuck behind a freeway barrier.

I do think, however, that if someone enjoys the longer hikes/larger containers, why not hide caches like that? You mentioned it yourself, as did I... and many others.

If you, personally, don't enjoy finding micros, why hide them? (My working theory being that there are plenty of people who DO enjoy finding them... AND hiding them to pick up the slack.)

michelle

Moobeat......Would you please move here. Pretty please. I personally get a kick out of finding an ammo can or other med/large container over a micro/nano but we don't have many options in town here. Unfortunately I have had my fill of nanos stuck on the back of every guard rail and street sign every .15 miles down the road. 4 caches in 25 minutes just isn't all that fun. I would rather spend half a day on a multi with an ammo can as the final than find a dozen magnetic nanos. IMHO it takes a lot more creativity to hide a larger container and camo it well. I hate to get to a cache location and see tree lines and bushes and possible places to hide a large cache only to find a magnetic container hidden on a sign post 20' from the parking lot. With the price of gas for now I'm staying in town and getting as many micro/nanos off my list. Micros and nanos have their place in this hobby when they are used creatively. Quality not quantity.

Now I'll give up the soap box for someone else.

A few notes on containers:

AVOID polyethylene. Look at the plastic ID symbol, usually on the bottom, a number in chasing arrows usually with initials below. (Most people think this is a recycling symbol, but it IDs non-recyclable plastics too. For example, 7 is "other or unknown" and is thus generally not recyclable.) LDPE and HDPE (2 and 4) are the ones to avoid, as they break down in sunlight. Unfortunately most true (brand name) Tupperware is polyethylene.

CHECK the lid. Lids are often different plastic from the rest of the container. It doesn't do much good to have a durable container with a lid that cracks in a couple of years -- in fact that's the worst scenario because when the lid leaks, the container does a good job of holding water. And lids are often polyethylene, often poor quality PE, when the rest of the container is something else. Coffee cans are perhaps the worst in this respect, terrible quality PE for the lids since it's only intended to last while the coffee is being used. Unless the lid is marked or is obviously the same material as the rest, avoid it.

OTHER PLASTICS are generally durable: PET (1), used for soda bottles and often for food jars such as peanut butter. PVC (3) is extremely durable, as is PP (polypropylene, 5). Polystyrene (PS, 6) is usually found in the form of foam (Styrofoam). ABS and polycarbonate are also excellent but don't have ID numbers under the standard scheme. All these hold up well in sunlight. But remember to check the lid.

THIN METAL almost always rusts. Cookie tins rust. Decorative tins rust. Tea tins rust. All of these also leak.

THE CLOSURE SHOULD LOCK. This is a large part of why ammo cans and lock-n-locks are good: they close with a locking mechanism rather than a push-on like most Tupperware and like Kodak film canisters. With a push-on closure, the changing pressure and temperature in the outdoors will draw moisture into the container, where it condenses and can't get out. Use common sense; for example, decon containers have a push-on closure but it's tight enough to avoid this problem. But food containers mostly leak in this way, because this amount of leakage doesn't matter for refrigerator storage.

Waterproof match boxes are usually PVC -- durable. I found some which are dark green (advertised as olive drab but actually more forest green) rather than the bright orange of the Coghlan's at texsport.net and numerous retailers (just google "texsport match-box" without the quotes). Lock-n-locks -- brand name -- that I've seen are PP (good).

Edward

When we were on holidays last week I had three geocoins and a travel bug to drop off, we had a really hard time finding caches to drop them off because almost all of them were micros too small for a geocoin. I think when placing a cache, you also need to have a look at what is out there to make sure there is some variety. Also, travel bug hotels need a bigger container than a sandwich container...seen a couple of these and you can't fit more than three tbs in them.