Frustration Factor

falcone

The idea of Wherigo looks like fun. But I just spent a not so fun hour trying to find out what I need to get to be able to play. I've not been able to get much info on the Colorado as a PPA (for $500 I want a bit more than just a toy). Many of the other units mentioned are no longer being made. And for most of them what aditional items you need to buy (mem, map software, etc) is not given. And the format here of having to read through all the posts of a forum to find basic informaiton.... has to be a better way.

There is that Supporting Wherigo Player Hardware, list of working devices thread. There's also supposed to be a list on the Player download page, but Groundspeak hasn't updated this since the current site went live in January. I see what you mean: there is no simple page or maintained list someone new can easily find and view in under a minute to find all device options.

My best suggestion that won't age over time is to find a device you like and see if it runs Windows Mobile (or Pocket PC). After that, come back to the hardware forum and do a search for the brand name and model. If someone has had success or trouble with the device, it should show somewhere in your search.

To make it short, you should be able to run the player on most any device that has Windows Mobile or Pocket PC and either a built-in or Bluetooth GPSr. You're right to ask about memory, but I can't offer any sort of reliable assistance on this without knowing the specific device and doing some research on my own. As for map software, you don't have to have this to run Wherigo. There is some sort of new feature, I know, that uses mapping software to navigate users, but I have not experienced this first-hand. Wherigo works just fine without maps, but I do have a feeling that maps may become necessary with more complicated cartridges.

Would it maybe be good to put a list of confirmed working devices in the first post of the Supported thread? I know in other forums I'll typically see something like that, where when someone posts a new tidbit of info, the original poster or a moderator will take that info and add it to the first post so that a current list is maintained.