Colorado 300 and compass trouble

I've had the Colorado for about a month now and have been having trouble with the compass and I'm wondering if I've missed some setting or something. I hadn't done too much with it until we went on holidays for a week and did a lot of caching as a way to explore the city. Most times when I turned it on it would locate and lock in the sattelites, we'd start walking and then the compass and map would start spinning, I was facing north, south, north, east and everytime I calibrated the compass it settled it right down and I didn't have any more trouble until the next time I turned it on. Why am I needing to calibrate the compass nearly every time I turn it on? I have to say, I feel a little stupid standing on the sidewalk of a busy street turning in circles.

You absolutely must recalibrate the compass at least (a) when you remove the batteries for any reason and (B) when you travel far enough for the declination to change (I believe Garmin says 100 miles or more).

You must also be sure to hold the unit level when attempting to use the compass. Failure to do so will sometimes result in the "hold the unit level" warning. But sometimes you just get bad readings.

There is another common issue when using the compass with geocaching. We all depend on the "red arrow" to point us in the right direction. In order to display the pointer, the unit must know the direction of travel. When the compass is off, the direction of travel is always based on satellite information. When the compass is on (auto mode), the unit will use the compass to determine direction of travel at low speeds. It will switch to satellite information at higher speeds. This can be confusing because the compass information is based on the direction you are facing, while the satellite information is based entirely on direction of motion.

Now, enter the random position shifts. Especially in challenging reception conditions, the unit may report fairly sizable "instantaneous" jumps in position (40 or 50 feet or more), which result in apparent high-speed motion and corresponding shifts in the pointer. This behavior can cause confusion even with the compass off. With the compass on, it's even more confusing because of the high "pseudo-speed" of the shifts results in flipping back and forth between compass and satellite.

This is one reason why some cachers prefer to cache with the compass off. Others will use the pointer only until they get close to the cache. Then they rely on observing only the remaining distance to the cache to find it.

I have to say, I feel a little stupid standing on the sidewalk of a busy street turning in circles.

Why are you spinning? You only have to spin the GPS to calibrate the electronic compass. You need to make sure you are holding the GPS perfectly level, away from any metal or magnetic objects when calibrating. The Garmin electronic compass is only 2-axis, which means you must hold it perfectly level to work. Also make sure you have the lock on roads turned off. I find it a whole lot more affective to just turn the electronic compass off.

I was recalibrating the compass every morning just outside the hotel we stayed in for the week, and the farthest we were from the hotel was 16kms. I have also found that sometimes the pointer will jump all over the place and the closer we get to our mark/cache the more steady it will become, I will try turning the compass off for the next few caches and see how that works. I guess it's all about trying everything every different way so see how it works differently from another setting. We're used to the Garmin Summit which didn't have a lot in the way of features and was really easy to learn. Although I've spent hours 'playing' with the colorado on the couch, and going through the manual, there are so many things I still don't know. I found that the manual didn't explain the difference between settings, just how to change them so we've been trying to figure out the difference between a lot of things.

As for why I turn my body while holding the gps in my hand rather than spinning the gps on my hand to calibrate it...I just don't know, it's one of those things that's how we did it the first time, it worked and never really thought of doing it any other way. It's something I'll keep in mind next time I need to calibrate it in a public place.

I have had a colorado for a few weeks now with the compass on and its been spot on each time. I only have had to recalibrate it once. I had WAAS on also, not sure if that made a difference but originally for the geocaching shortcut WAAS was not tunred on.

I found that the manual didn't explain the difference between settings, just how to change them so we've been trying to figure out the difference between a lot of things.

Put the manual back in the box. It's not worth the paper it's printed on. Go here instead.

Thats why my manual was on the CD I guess. Hehe I just got the quick start guide on paper.

Storm180

I've had the Colorado for about a month now and have been having trouble with the compass and I'm wondering if I've missed some setting or something. I hadn't done too much with it until we went on holidays for a week and did a lot of caching as a way to explore the city. Most times when I turned it on it would locate and lock in the sattelites, we'd start walking and then the compass and map would start spinning, I was facing north, south, north, east and everytime I calibrated the compass it settled it right down and I didn't have any more trouble until the next time I turned it on. Why am I needing to calibrate the compass nearly every time I turn it on? I have to say, I feel a little stupid standing on the sidewalk of a busy street turning in circles.

And how close to the cache are you when this "spinning" occurs?

It varies, we usually have a good idea as to where a cache is so I think the farthest we've been from a cache is 1.5km, it'll spin then, 500m, and except for once it settles down by 50-75m, one cache we were with friends and their Legend took them bang on and the closest our colorado took us was 40m away. I know I've changed a few settings since then, so... if it starts spinning, I recalibrate the comapss and that's it, no more problems until next time I turn it on. We're going to get out later this week and try it with the compass turned off.

My experience is that the compass will get you reliably to within 40 or 50 feet of the cache before it starts to "spin" (if it's going to). "Spinning" at distances of more than 40 or 50 feet sounds like a problem with the unit. As does the need to calibrate every time you power up (without removing the batteries). I can't imaging having difficulties at a distance of 1.5km...

It says I'm running Software Version 2.40 Unit ID.......... GPS Software Version 2.60

What does this mean? Difference in versions?

I assume I should be replacing Software Version 2.4 with the 2.51? or should I wait until it's not in the Beta version anymore?

Even though 2.51 is label as a beta it is definitely the best thing out there right now. I would upgrade.

GO$Rs

Go to this page and download the update file to your desktop.

Plug your Colorado into your computer and wait until it is connected, you'll see the computer connected to a GPS graphic.

Double click on the file you downloaded in the first step.

Hit "OK", "Next", select your Colorado and its associated drive letter from the drop down list, and hit "Next"

That should start the update. Don't unplug the GPS until you get confirmation that is has successfully completed.

GO$Rs

I have a new colorado 300 and have been use a Legend Cx up until now. I have a problem that I think is likely related to the issue you are talking about. First so we are clear I have ver 2.50 and am not really comfortable with moving to Beta software (been burnt a few times, I'll wait)

The problem occurs when we are Geocaching, I do not use the compass to geocache but cache on the maps. The Colorado displays a nice pink line pointed toward the cache but the cache is not at the top of the screen even though I am walking towards it. I have resorted to moving and verifying that indeed the distance to the cache is dropping to verify I am heading in the right direction. I have walked on trails that I know lead to the cache only to have the GPS show me moving diagonally across the screen, following the pink line or occationally even backward which is really disconcerting as you cannot even see the cache on the screen. As you get closer to the cache it's almost a snail shell pattern to close in and find where the GPS zeros.

I have played with the setting and was convince that somehow the tracking was off. I kept trying checking the ensure that the setting track north was not on and it wasn't, north was not always up. I am thinking now after reading this forum thread that maybe the issue is that the compass is indeed turned on and I have never calibrated it.

I will try both turning the compass off while geocaching or even better try calibrating it. I hope this will eliminate the problem and will post back if this does correct it.

Edited by Sargents

I will try both turning the compass off will geocaching or even better try calibrating it. I hope this will eliminate the problem and will post back if this does correct it.

I would strongly recommend turning off the compass until you are ready to use it. Calibrating it is necessary but you will also need to hold it level. Failing to do either one will result in the type of symptoms you are seeing.

GO$Rs

The problem occurs when we are Geocaching, I do not use the compass to geocache but cache on the maps. The Colorado displays a nice pink line pointed toward the cache but the cache is not at the top of the screen even though I am walking towards it. I have resorted to moving and verifying that indeed the distance to the cache is dropping to verify I am heading in the right direction. I have walked on trails that I know lead to the cache only to have the GPS show me moving diagonally across the screen, following the pink line or occationally even backward which is really disconcerting as you cannot even see the cache on the screen. As you get closer to the cache it's almost a snail shell pattern to close in and find where the GPS zeros.

Turn off the North Up setting. That's why the map isn't being oriented correctly.

I'm also not 100% happy with the compass on my Colorado 300. I have calibrated it several times but it doesn't seem overly accurate. It seems like I can turn 45 degrees and the compass sometimes turns more than I have. Certainly I've noticed that when I'm walking the arrow on the map doesn't always seem to be pointing in the direction I'm moving. My 76CSx seems to do a better job with the compass. (Having said that, I did a side-by-side test in woodland yesterday and the Colorado's GPS seemed to bounce around less, so it's not all bad).

Just a quick follow up. I turned off the compass for Geocaching and the problem vanished. I realize that this means I am relying on the satellites and that is only work when moving but I was able to walk straight to the cache, following the line.

95% of the time this will work fine. If you find yourself in a situation where you want/need to be stationary and you need to get a compass bearing calibrate the compass, use it for what you need and turn it off again.

GO$Rs

Like a few months ago. I was climbing a very steep slope after an ice storm for a cache. I could only go about 10 - 20’ between breaks to catch some oxygen. I switched on the electronic compass because I wasn’t able to move in a straight line to get a good bearing off of the GPS compass. That was probably the first time in years, if not ever, that I had a use for Garmin’s pitiful 2-axis electronic compass.

Crid:

the arrow on the map doesn't always seem to be pointing in the direction I'm moving.

It is not a compass, it is only "arrow on the map".

Christopher

I'm running in "north up" mode. Above a certain speed it's supposed to point in the direction I'm moving. Below a certain speed it's supposed to point in the direction the unit is facing.

I'm running in "north up" mode. Above a certain speed it's supposed to point in the direction I'm moving. Below a certain speed it's supposed to point in the direction the unit is facing.

The triangular shaped cursor on the screen should face in your direction of travel if the compass is off or in the direction your GPS is pointing if your compass is on (this may or may not be your direction of travel).

The orientation of the maps (North Up, Track Up) and direction of the pointer have nothing do with your speed except that it if you are traveling over 10mph and have the compass in auto mode it will switch off, but the rules above still apply.

GO$Rs