Geo-Rafting Event June 22, 2008

Ambrosia

We're having another Geo-Rafting Event! :D

We'll be meeting at noon at Riverfront Park in Cashmere for a potluck lunch. Everyone's welcome to come and have a meet and greet! At around 2pm, whoever signed up for rafting will head out for the rafting trip.

We still have some details to confirm. But we think that we'll have a very large "tent", so if it's sunny or if it rains, we'll have some shade. We're also finding out what our available funds are with the WSGA, and if we can we'll provide things like utensils, drinks, condiments, etc. I'll announce any updates on the event page.

We should have 3 rafts, depending on how many people sign up. That's enough for around 24 people. We're asking for a suggested donation of $35 to help cover our costs: equipment maintenance, gas, rafting guides, fees, etc. Also, anyone is welcome to join us and kayak or raft if they have the equipment and experience. If people bring their own equipment, then of course the donation wouldn't apply.

Please let us know how many in your party are rafting so we can make sure there is room. :blink:

The Wenatchee River is a class III river, so there's waves and "woo hoos", and the slight possibility of ending up in the water. Here's a wiki article on class definitions: linky. Goodness, reading it sounds harder than it really is. I'm nervous of that sort of thing, but I've enjoyed going down the Wenatchee River many times (and never dumped yet!).

Here's some information from a previous thread post that all41 made, that should answer some questions that people may have, it's all pretty much the same as now: link

Here's a website that shows the level of the river: linky

As I've mentioned to some others, it's hard to predict how the river will be in two weeks. Right now it's at a perfect level, but depending on the weather, it could go up or down due to snow melt. The level can make the ride more or less "wild". :blink:

We have a certain amount of caches that are available on the rafting trip, but we can't guarantee that they can all be accessed. Last time, the river was pretty high and the rafts were too close together so some of the boats didn't get all of the caches. We'll try our best this year, but no matter what, we'll all have fun! :D

Edited by Ambrosia

You guys do great no matter the outcome! I can say with 100% certainty this is always an adventure not to be missed!

Thank you! ;);)

I don't see you signed up yet. B)

After this past weekend at Mt Rainier, I'm up in the air on attendance.

Aw. I understand though, there are a lot of events and things going on this June! Lots of fun, but makes it hard to try and attend everything.

I just posted this to the Event page:

An update on the caches in the bookmark list:

All41 went down the river on Friday, and replaced several caches. While he was at it, he tweaked the coordinates on them.

On these two, he replaced the containers and changed coords. In the past, the coords were taken while floating by, so they weren't exact. These new coords should be better:

Don't Cache and Drive!

Dig In!

This one was replaced in a slightly different spot, hopefully a more permanent one, so the coords are updated:

Rock n' Roll Island

My sis and bro-in-law just rafted down this river last weekend...I believe they even started at the same place this event is. They had a BLAST! Wish we could make this one, but we're committed to Missoula this weekend. Hopefully there'll be a few more this summer!

Sorry you can't make it!

All41 runs the river quite often during rafting season, so if anyone is planning a trip this way during that time, they're always welcome to let us know and if we're available, he'll take them down! :rolleyes:

Is there a plan for the Picnic?

Something along the lines of certain people bring certain things so that there is a good variety of food?

We will be providing the main course, buns, utensils, plates, napkins, condiments. Everyone else should plan on bringing a side dish, fruit, beverages (& libations for the cook staff...), dessert. Life is too short and I'm not going to stress out on having too many brownies (as if that could be a problem :( !)

Don't forget to bring a towel, camera, plastic baggies for the GPS or camera if you are determined to take them on the boats, warmer clothes to change into for the evening since the wind may kick up.

Robin

Is there a plan for the Picnic?

Something along the lines of certain people bring certain things so that there is a good variety of food?

We will be providing the main course, buns, utensils, plates, napkins, condiments. Everyone else should plan on bringing a side dish, fruit, beverages (& libations for the cook staff...), dessert. Life is too short and I'm not going to stress out on having too many brownies (as if that could be a problem :( !)

Don't forget to bring a towel, camera, plastic baggies for the GPS or camera if you are determined to take them on the boats, warmer clothes to change into for the evening since the wind may kick up.

Robin

Thank you Robin...

As Robin posted, we're going to provide some of the essentials. I heard back from the WSGA, and so we'll have a bit of money to take care of this.

I apologize for not being more organized about the side dishes, however. It would have been great to have a list of types of foods and have people sign up for them. Unfortunately, the Event has been more difficult for me overall and that sort of organization was beyond me. Hopefully it will all work out, and nobody will starve! :P

All41 is providing a large tent (holds maybe 60 people?), the kind where the sides come off, so it can be used for sun or rain. It comes with a bunch of tables and chairs. If people want, they can bring their own chairs as well, or blankets for the grass.

If anyone wants to help set up, they can come a bit early, perhaps a half hour early. The tent is like a circus tent, it takes a few people all at once to get it up - the more the merrier. If we don't have enough people to set it up, we'll just wait until noon and grab people as they come in, as volunteers! :P:ninja:

I'm pretty ineffectual for the Event itself. Any community help is appreciated. I'm sure that everything will work out great, and we can all work together to have a wonderful time. :D

I can't thank Robinego enough for helping out with food and stuff. Also, thanks to mmauvil for offering help. Tudles said that someone else was willing to help, but I can't remember a name. If you were contacted by her, please let me know. I'll probably talk to her soon and find out.

I'm a bit late in posting this, but we don't need anyone to come early to help set up the tent. All41 is going to set it up early in the morning. He seems to have a few wonderful volunteers that are going to help out. :D Thanks.

Looking forward to everything! :angry: