"Send To Garmin" downloaded waypoint was off

I could not find a geocache and discovered that the Send To Garmin (using the Garmin Communicator plug-in) downloaded a lat/long that was a little off. :blink: My brother-in-law said he had the same thing happen for a different cache. (I have etrex Vista HCx; He has 60CSx)

Is this common? Has anyone else ever had this happen?

(Sure is frustrating, looking for a cache where there isn't one. I will be sure to double check all lat/longs from now on. Specifically, I downloaded GCHDM5. Geocaching.com & Garmin Plug-in downloaded N42o04.054, W076o08.681 rather than N42o04.050, W076o08.664.)

I could not find a geocache and discovered that the Send To Garmin (using the Garmin Communicator plug-in) downloaded a lat/long that was a little off. :blink: My brother-in-law said he had the same thing happen for a different cache. (I have etrex Vista HCx; He has 60CSx)

(Sure is frustrating, looking for a cache where there isn't one. I will be sure to double check all lat/longs from now on. Specifically, I downloaded GCHDM5. Geocaching.com & Garmin Plug-in downloaded N42o04.054, W076o08.681 rather than N42o04.050, W076o08.664.)

I just downloaded that same geocache to my colorado using send to gps and double checked it with download gpx file and I got the same coords as the cache.

Storm180

Im having similar problems with my garmin, 1 out of the 20 Ive downloaded was off a little, searched the spot and returned home to check the coords. found them off and manually fixed.

Now I use a notebook, when I log a cache I want to find, I put the gc# and the N/W numbers, Kinda of annoying, but nice to have the clue and the description of the cache rather than just N/W numbers.

hope that helps.

Cache coordinates are given using the WGS84 datum. Using a different datum on the GPSr will result in apparently different coordinates. Make sure your GPSr is set to WGS84.

It's unusual to require the use of any other datum. Possible reasons include use with paper maps, operation outside the US where other coordinate systems are common, and so forth. For example, USGS 7.5 minute quads generally use the NAD27 CONUS (1927 Continental US) datum.

This happened to me, but it was not fault of technology. Make sure when you're geocaching, you don't accidently push buttons while in map mode, there is an option to "move" a point. This happened to me yesterday about 10pm at night. A security guard at a hospital was wondering why I was walking about. We check the hospital and the point was dead center in the hospital(complete coincidence it moved to the center of the hospital). We checked throughout the hospital, but I wasn't going to go in to any rooms. I thought to myself, something is really wrong here, or someone is a complete a** and I'm going to report them.

I went home, looked at the point, and it was off by .31km

Again, make sure buttons aren't accidentally being pushed, it MAY move the point.