MISSION: - Gift, cache & travel.

Butterfly_lady

Actually I have set up exactly what is described here a while back. See thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=186599

There were not too many participants, but there are still a few people who 'missed the boat' and are waiting for round two :lol:

What I liked about that mission was that you were allowed to make the page and then it was adopted :lol:

The receiver only told the organiser at sign-up, what cache they would like to pick it up at.

That was so much fun :-)

Actually I have set up exactly what is described here a while back. See thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=186599

There were not too many participants, but there are still a few people who 'missed the boat' and are waiting for round two :lol:

What I liked about that mission was that you were allowed to make the page and then it was adopted :lol:

The receiver only told the organiser at sign-up, what cache they would like to pick it up at.

That was so much fun :-)

It does sound like fun..... this one is slightly different as the receiver gets to activate it, thus "owns" it from the start and gets to see it travel. Particularly challenging for those who like to hold onto their coins, but a fun way to start letting coins travel.

Perhaps the previous mission can be repeated at a future date?

Mission 1 - the micro coin

1. Participating - June 10

2. Nick/destination received

3. Outgoin coin mission details attached

4. Outgoing coin released in cache GC

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache GC

Mission 2: the bigger coin

1. Participating - June 10

2. Nick/destination received

Question which will go furthest and at what sped - there are so many micros round here I have a sneaky idea which will go fastest - but we will see

Bob

AN UPDATE ON HOW THIS MISSION WILL WORK.

We have a wide variety of geographical areas. Except AUSTRALIA.

How it hows - you will be given a name for another cacher, and their profile - you will select an unactivated coin that you have to gift to them.

Contact them, telling them the coin name and tracking number. And either the activation code or where to retrieve the activation code.

They will activate it and nominate a cache for it to travel to.

You will make a tag to attach to the coin (maybe small enough to fit into one side of a coin plastic envelope); this tag will state the coin's mission.

Then electronically "grab" that coin, go caching and set the coin on it's journey. Add it to your watchlist if you want to see it's journey.

I recommend all cachers add "If this coin is not in a cache, then it is stolen!" and / or "Please place in a c GC.com geocache within two weeks of retrieving this coin"

Have fun with this mission.

Another cacher will contact you also to activate a geocoin.

Note - Who you gift a geocoin to, will NOT be the same person who will gift a coin to you.

I've been asked about printing and attaching a tag...

Start with the flip plastic sleeves that most coins come in - maybe take one off another coin if you have to.

Then use a spreadsheet to write the Coin's name and mission on.

Make the cell the size of just smaller than the plastic sleeve.

You can actually use two cells and write a message in both.

Outline the cell /s with a broken line - this will be your cutting guide.

Print using a printer that uses waterproof ink.

Cut, fold in half, insert into one side of the plastic sleeve.

Seal - either with a plastic sealer or tape.

Good luck - names are still coming in.

I am trying to match up people with others from a different country. So please do let me know your location by name, not abbreviation.

Good luck all - I am going to enjoy watching your coins travel.

Our favorite things combined...missions and sending travelers to traveling!

Email sent to participate X 2

Mrs. usyoopers

participating- you betcha! email sent 6-17

destination received-

outgoing coin mission details attached-

outgoing coin released in cache GC (date)-

incoming coin picked up from cache GC (date)-

the other yooper

participating- of course! email sent 6-17

destination received-

I've been asked about printing and attaching a tag...

Start with the flip plastic sleeves that most coins come in - maybe take one off another coin if you have to.

Then use a spreadsheet to write the Coin's name and mission on.

Make the cell the size of just smaller than the plastic sleeve.

You can actually use two cells and write a message in both.

Outline the cell /s with a broken line - this will be your cutting guide.

Print using a printer that uses waterproof ink.

Cut, fold in half, insert into one side of the plastic sleeve.

Seal - either with a plastic sealer or tape.

Good luck - names are still coming in.

I am trying to match up people with others from a different country. So please do let me know your location by name, not abbreviation.

Good luck all - I am going to enjoy watching your coins travel.

I will of course ask the person to whom I'm gifting the coin to first but I really feel it's important to drill the coin and attach a tag with the goal to it. I think undrilled coins are much more likely to go missing.

I realize that some people may not have the ability to drill a coin but if they do and they get my name, that is what I'm going to request that they do.

I hope that won't be a problem with regard to participation in this mission. :)

I've never drilled a coin! :)

I just don't have the tools. And I don't think I should start with my handheld drill...

That helps me with holes in the wall, but a coin just moves away more easily as my wall, I'm afraid...

Don't be afraid - it's only difficult the first few times. :D I think I posted here that I felt horrible - like I was defacing a work of art by drilling the coin. Then I had my first released coin turn up stolen and that cured me of my fear.

Since then, every coin I've sent out has had a hole drilled (my husband uses a hand-held drill with a bit meant for metal) with a mission card attached by a cable. None of them have *knock wood* gone missing yet. They certainly can't be confused for swag with the tag attached and they certainly can't be sold on eBay with a hole in them.

Lots of coiners do this - I know I didn't come up with the idea. It does seem to cut down on theft...at least so far. Now that I've tempted the fates who knows! :)

Updated list as at 18 June.

# Missions Cacher name

2 Six Little Spookies

1 Geo-Gophers

1 dark_onyx1982

1 Taubin

1 Geo.Error

1 TeamEccs21

1 Tschakko

1 Steinwälzer

2 southpawaz

2 WackyB

1 Ljay

1 Sparticus06

1 LuckyDuckie

1 BrierPatch

1 Croft House Cachers

2 Team Van Stoffelen

1 ThePetersTrio

1 Kiwi Nomad

5 ElliPirelli

4 Butterfly_Lady

5 gjensen

2 911turbos

2 Jan and the Percey Boys

1 Arf2-D2

1 Solan109

1 Franikie.Knuckles

1 grodan & fiabus

1 The Horn Hunters

1 Whitby

2 usyoopers

Still to confirm

Keewee

Fairy honey

Five Frazers

I've never drilled a coin! :)

I just don't have the tools. And I don't think I should start with my handheld drill...

That helps me with holes in the wall, but a coin just moves away more easily as my wall, I'm afraid...

Don't be afraid - it's only difficult the first few times. :D I think I posted here that I felt horrible - like I was defacing a work of art by drilling the coin. Then I had my first released coin turn up stolen and that cured me of my fear.

Since then, every coin I've sent out has had a hole drilled (my husband uses a hand-held drill with a bit meant for metal) with a mission card attached by a cable. None of them have *knock wood* gone missing yet. They certainly can't be confused for swag with the tag attached and they certainly can't be sold on eBay with a hole in them.

Lots of coiners do this - I know I didn't come up with the idea. It does seem to cut down on theft...at least so far. Now that I've tempted the fates who knows! :)

Well, I have roughly 50 coins 'out in the wild' or big bad world, and so far only 6 have gone mia for sure. Three of them were in a muggled cache, so they're not really stolen with evil intent.

I shouldn't think that you could sell them on e-bay, not for long anyway, cause you'll get really bad recomendations when your costumers can't activate "their" coin...

It's more likely they disappear in a collectors box without being shown to anyone.

I will of course ask the person to whom I'm gifting the coin to first but I really feel it's important to drill the coin and attach a tag with the goal to it. I think undrilled coins are much more likely to go missing.

I realize that some people may not have the ability to drill a coin but if they do and they get my name, that is what I'm going to request that they do.

I hope that won't be a problem with regard to participation in this mission. :)

I would prefer the coin that is gifted to me to be drilled as well because that's what we usually do with any coins (with the exeption of micros) that we set free to travel. I would be quite willing to drill the coin that I gift if the recipient wants that done, no problem at all.......but if not I'll gladly set it free as it is for them. If whoever gets us in the mission can't drill ours.... not to worry, that's ok too though.

Ali :(

Edited by Geo-Gophers

Mission 1:

1. Participating - (email sent) 18/6/08

2. Nick/destination received - (date)

3. Outgoin coin mission details attached - (date)

4. Outgoing coin released in cache GC (Date)

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache GC (&date)

Mission 2:

1. Participating - (email sent) 18/6/08

I would prefer the coin that is gifted to me to be drilled as well because that's what we usually do with any coins (with the exeption of micros) that we set free to travel. I would be quite willing to drill the coin that I gift if the recipient wants that done, no problem at all.......but if not I'll gladly set it free as it is for them. If whoever gets us in the mission can't drill ours.... not to worry, that's ok too though.

Ali :(

I'll happily drill a coin if the recipient wants me to BUT there are some coins that I will not deface by drilling a hole in. Anyone asking for such a coin to be drilled is likely to get a different coin!

1. Participating - Yes! in for three 6/21/08

Slightly off topic to the mission itself, but how do you folks drill coins? Can I use a normal hand drill or do you pretty much need a full blown drill press to do it? What kind of bit would I need to use, etc, etc. Thanks for any help.

A normal drill and drill bit should work just fine. The coins are not so solid that you can not drill them easily.

I may have a problem. I said before that I had a choice for the person receiving the coin to choose from. I am now down to 1 coin at the moment and I dont know when I will be gettin more, seeing that I got demoted at work and the next 2 weeks I am laid off. I will definitely keep the one coin for this mission.

Mission 1:

1. Participating - 6/23/08

2. Nick/destination received:

3. Outgoing coin mission details attached:

4. Outgoing coin released in cache GCxxxxxx

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache GCxxxxxx

Mission 2:

1. Participating - 6/23/08

4. Outgoing coin released in cache GCxxxxxx

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache GCxxxxxx

We look forward to it :P

~J

As of 7pm today, the following are participating....

let me know if I have overlooked anyone.

All those participating should have received a reply acknowledging that I've got your email.

Cacher name

Six Little Spookies

Six Little Spookies

Geo-Gophers

dark_onyx1982

Taubin

Geo.Error

TeamEccs21

Tschakko

Steinwälzer

southpawaz

southpawaz

WackyB

WackyB

Ljay

Sparticus06

LuckyDuckie

BrierPatch

Croft House Cachers

Team Van Stoffelen

Team Van Stoffelen

ThePetersTrio

Kiwi Nomad

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

gjensen

gjensen

gjensen

gjensen

gjensen

911turbos

911turbos

Jan and the Percey Boys

Jan and the Percey Boys

Solan109

Arf2-D2

Franikie.Knuckles

grodan & fiabus

The Horn Hunters

Whitby

usyoopers

usyoopers

uktim

uktim

moscow32

moscow32

moscow32

Cinema Boxers

Cinema Boxers

and a few extras tossed in by Butterfly Lady :P

Still to confirm

Keewee

Fairy honey

Five Frazers

Sent email to join the mission... Can I make it two missions? Thanks.

Mission 1:

1. Participating - 6/26/08

4. Outgoing coin released in cache ...

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache ...

Mission 2:

1. Participating - 6/26/08

4. Outgoing coin released in cache ...

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache ...

Update today - those participating are:

Six Little Spookies

Six Little Spookies

Geo-Gophers

dark_onyx1982

Taubin

Geo.Error

TeamEccs21

Tschakko

Steinwälzer

southpawaz

southpawaz

WackyB

WackyB

Ljay

Sparticus06

LuckyDuckie

BrierPatch

Croft House Cachers

Team Van Stoffelen

Team Van Stoffelen

ThePetersTrio

Kiwi Nomad

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

ElliPirelli

gjensen

gjensen

gjensen

gjensen

gjensen

911turbos

911turbos

Jan and the Percey Boys

Jan and the Percey Boys

Solan109

Arf2-D2

Franikie.Knuckles

grodan & fiabus

The Horn Hunters

Whitby

usyoopers

usyoopers

uktim

uktim

moscow32

moscow32

moscow32

Cinema Boxers

Cinema Boxers

OverTheEdge

OverTheEdge

kyk96

fairyhoney

fairyhoney

fairyhoney

Note - this is a gifting mission. Not an exchange.

RECEIVING A GEOCOIN.

1. Decide what is you "home' cache that you would like a gifted geocoin to travel to.

2. When you receive an email requesting you to activate a geocoin, do so and set the mission to "travel to cache name..... GC#. Add whatever details you wish.

3. Sit back and watch it travel to you. First log should be a "grab" log by the person releasing it for you.

4. Post some of the interesting logs on this forum for all to see

5. If it stalls in the hands of a cacher for more than four weeks, send them a polite note telling them you are keen to see where they place it next. Don't nag, just let them know that you appreciate them being part of the coin's journey.

6. Let us ALL know when it makes it home. Post photos of it's final location if possible.

GIFTING A GEOCOIN TO TRAVEL.

1. You will receive an email from me sometime next week. It will tell you who are the receivers of the geocoin you have agree to gift.

2. Decide on the coin, email the recipient, and ask them to activate it (as above in receiving a coin)

3. Remove the commercial card from the 2nd flap of the plastic envelope and insert another card or paper that you have printed, listing it's name, mission and whatever else might fit. I use a spreadsheet to give me cutting lines etc. You may have to try printing / writing this a couple of time until you get the size right.

Alternatively if you have access to a laminator - print the mission etc onto paper / card place in laminating sleeve (leave some room to punch a hole that will not go through the paper) Attach this to the coin plastic sleeve - those little TB chains are great for this, but so is string!

4. Put the coin on your watch list.

5. Grab the coin electronically from the owner.

6. Go caching - find a good cache nearby (it can be one you have found before) and drop the coin into it.

Don't forget to electronically log it into the cache also.... For newbies, when you log the cache you will find , roll down the page a bit more and you will see a window with the coin listed - highlight that coin and it will automatically drop into the cache when you submit your log.

Be careful - you will receive an email from me with the person / people you are gifting to

AND you will receive an email from the person who is gifting a coin to you and will set it travelling.

You will not be exchanging coins. Who you gift to will be a DIFFERENT person from who will be starting a coin off for you.

I am so enjoying looking forward to your posts.

Most important is to have fun.

I'm in :D

Woops, guess not, I missed the sign ups...maybe next time.

Still time...

Just sorting out to ensure everyone gets someone from another country where possible.

Email me within the next 24 hours, and I'll get you in.

Mission emails will start going out on 2 July NZST (GMT plus 12 hours)

If you have not got an email by Friday, please let me know...

So far - 59 missions.

(yawn)

All emails have gone out tonight.... all those participating should have received one.

The list was double-tripled checked for any double ups - I hope I've got it right (fingers & toes crossed)

Now - if you are outside the US, it is highly likely you got a US goal for the gifted geocoin.

As there were more participants in the US than outside, some geocoins will only be travelling across the states. Most others have a hop, skip and jump across water.

Post your interesting logs on the forum to share.

E-mail sent to participate.

1. Participating - June 13

2. Nick/destination received - yes july 2

grodan Karin

I have got the name on the one that is getting a coin from me and have sent them an e-mail.

grodan KArin

Edited by grodan & fiabus

Mission 1

1. Participating - (email sent) yes

2. Nick/destination received - (date) 2.7.

3. Outgoin coin mission details attached - (date) not yet

4. Outgoing coin released in cache GC (Date) not yet

5. Incoming coin picked up - cache GC (&date) not yet

Mision 2

Mision 3

Mision 4

Mission 5

I'm so excited, can't wait to read the logs...

Just had a funny experience with my Four Corners Benchmark Coin, which I dropped of in Malta, a small Island in the Mediterranean. Someone from Sweden took it north, 3 weeks ago it was in OLLE T a cache south of Malmö. Last week I visited Sweden and also visited the cache OLLE T, just to see, where my coin had been. And as I came home I found an e-mail telling me, that my coin was dropped of in guess where? Yes in Malta! Imagine that...

Regards, ElliPirelli

Our favorite things combined...missions and sending travelers to traveling!

Email sent to participate X 2

Mrs. usyoopers

participating- you betcha! email sent 6-17

destination received- got it! 7-2

the other yooper

participating- of course! email sent 6-17

destination received- got it! 7-2