? about Nuvi

Forgive the simple questions but I've new to car GPS's. I familure with off road GPS's since my first Garmin 3 plus.

I'm looking at either the Nuvi 260w or 750. Both the same price. The question is, if I set my destination and I don't like the rout Garmin provides can I alter it by putting in my own waypoints? For example if the unit comes up with a rout to turn onto a road that I don't want to travel can I change the route?

The nuvis auto-reroute when you deviate from their calculated route. You can turn off onto any road you wish and in a mater of seconds it will reroute you. Often it will want you to turn around but eventually it should change it’s mind. The 750 will “Auto sort multiple destinations”. This allows you to enter multiple destinations and it will automatically calculate the most direct route to all of them. It’s a great feature for a salesman.

The 750 MSRP is $160.71 higher than the 260w. The 750 has a ton of features that the 260w doesn’t have. I would definitely go with the 750! You are either getting a great deal on the 750 or paying too much for the 260w. They shouldn’t be the same price. Here's a link to compare the two.

The nuvis auto-reroute when you deviate from their calculated route. You can turn off onto any road you wish and in a mater of seconds it will reroute you. Often it will want you to turn around but eventually it should change it’s mind. The 750 will “Auto sort multiple destinations”. This allows you to enter multiple destinations and it will automatically calculate the most direct route to all of them. It’s a great feature for a salesman.

The 750 MSRP is $160.71 higher than the 260w. The 750 has a ton of features that the 260w doesn’t have. I would definitely go with the 750! You are either getting a great deal on the 750 or paying too much for the 260w. They shouldn’t be the same price. Here's a link to compare the two.

Someone wrote on this forum that the waypoints on th 700 series don't show up until you're within 300'. Is that true for the 260 series as well?

It sounds like they were talking about POI’s. POI’s don’t show up unless you are zoomed way in (300’ zoom scale). There are now over 7 million POI’s in City Navigator North America NT 2009. Imagine how cluttered the map would be if they displayed when zoomed out. Waypoints on the other hand will show up at all zoom levels because you are limited to only 500.

It sounds like they were talking about POI’s. POI’s don’t show up unless you are zoomed way in (300’ zoom scale). There are now over 7 million POI’s in City Navigator North America NT 2009. Imagine how cluttered the map would be if they displayed when zoomed out. Waypoints on the other hand will show up at all zoom levels because you are limited to only 500.

I can confirm this. I use a Nuvi 750 at work and my wife and I liked it so much, I bought her one to replace her 2610. I shopped around and chose buydig.com. There may be better offers but I took into consideration their high customer review ratio and the fact they had good prices on SD cards and GPS carrying pouch. GPS was $349; a Sandisk 2gb card was $20; carrying pouch was $16.50. No state tax and expedited shipping (2-6 days) was $5.

I don't like that you can't customize the zoom level to view POIs as on the handhelds, but not much you can about that.