Where is the key to type the degree symbol?

Can anyone tell me where the key is on your keyboard to type the little circle used to indicate degrees in coordinates? I have one example saved as text that I cut and pasted from somewhere, but I don't know which key was used to produce the circle. I tried to paste a copy of it here, but the circle didn't paste in the message.

Can anyone tell me where the key is on your keyboard to type the little circle used to indicate degrees in coordinates? I have one example saved as text that I cut and pasted from somewhere, but I don't know which key was used to produce the circle. I tried to paste a copy of it here, but the circle didn't paste in the message.

I use "Alt" - 167 on the number keypad (keypad on the right side of your keyboard)

Find other cool symbols to make with the numeral keypad here ; http://www.cotse.com/altcodes.html

~Glenn

There is also a little program on your computer called Character Map that will allow you to use any of the multitude of special characters that are embedded in the fonts on your computer.

Character Map can be found in in the accessories folder on your 'START' menu.

There is also a little program on your computer called Character Map that will allow you to use any of the multitude of special characters that are embedded in the fonts on your computer.

Character Map can be found in in the accessories folder on your 'START' menu.

Found it. You know I spend quite a bit of time on my computer and NEVER saw that character map. It is fairly well buried, but still, every once in a while I poke around a bit looking for stuff like that and don't remember ever seeing that. Thank you.

ALT0176 only works with keyboards that have a numeric keypad - it doesn't work using the numerals across the top.

Hold the Alt key down and while holding it down type 0176 on the numeric keypad.

I have Windows 2000 on a laptop Dell Latitude D610 with no number keypad.

However, I have a blue Fn key down in the lower left corner. That key converts the keyboard into a keypad using the 789UIOJKL & M keys. If I hold down the Fn key, the ALT key and type the corresponding code, I get the corresponding special character.

I use this link for the character codes.

® (Alt 0174)

© (Alt 0169)

Most of the alt codes between 033 and 255 stand for some character including the alphabet (upper case 065 - 090, lowercase 097 - 0122) and the numbers 0-9. Of course it is easier to use the keyboard for those that are on it, but I find it much easier to use the alt codes for those other symbols that I need regularly. One that I use most is alt 0151 (—) (the em dash) to imply longer pauses.

The codes lower than 033 stand for computer commands like "tab" "carriage return" and "print." Google ASCII codes. One site I found on Google is this:

Link

My laptop doesnt have a number pad so how do I do it

Mine doesn't either, but if I look closely, I can see light blue numbers on the keys.

I hit the 'Fn' and 'Alt' key, then 'K', 'U', '8' for 2, 4, 8, and '°' is the result. :wub:

Post #11. :wub:

Lets see now, In my hand: 7♥ 8♥ J♣ J♦ J♠

Discard: J♥

Faced down: ▓

I will pickup from the discard pile.

This has potential,

pretty cool stuff even here on the forums, didn't know this stuff either, and this is my HP Laptop.

EDITED IN:

N42° 00.000' - W83° 00.000'

Works real good on my laptop here.

Edit test:

╔═══════════╗

║»N42° - W83°«║

╚═══════════╝

Edited by GOT GPS?

Ok, so for a standard Windowz PC (with a number pad, or a FN number pad on a laptop), you can:

[Alt] 167 º

[Alt] 0176 °

[Alt] 248 °

Or you can copy and paste from the character map or somewhere else.

And a final option is to do like me and edit the text in MS Word (can you say "spell check"?), where I have "°" assigned to a shortcut key [CNTR][sHIFT]D

Edited by J-Way