So...

Whats the best on the market ?

I need...

Navigation software... currently have Tom Tom

Multimap can be loaded

Integrated GPS

Able to download POI onto navigation software

can check on line for new caches ?

you get the picture... an all singing dancing machine...

I have looked at the new Garmin Colorado 300 but it does not seem to take multimap

What about Mio A702 ?

Whats all singing all dancing the best ?

Snip

I have looked at the new Garmin Colorado 300 but it does not seem to take multimap

You can buy topo maps for the Colorado which are really good but the detail is not as high as MM (although I haven't used MM). See the Garmin website .... either as a CD for the whole of the UK or as preloaded SD cards (UK is split into 3).

A couple of weeks ago I was caching in a region outside my SD card and had to use the base map again ... hadn't realised how used to the topo map I had become.

Ok, you can't go online ... but I think it is an excellent paperless caching tool. So quick to add gpx files as it is just treated as an additional drive on your Mac/PC so you can drag and drop.

Take a look at the link in my sig. It's also marketed as the Orange TYTN II, MDA Vario III, AT&T Tilt, and another O2 name that escapes me at the moment.

Don't forget the Vodafone V1615 and also the Kaiser. O2 is XDA Orbit I think.

Why they can't stick to one name, I don't know.

The htc TYTN II=kaiser = an 02 Stellar = eyc,etc

I have just started to use it for caching. 1st observation is that the screen is useless in direct sunlight !

I have had a GPS problem (manifested itself in BEELINE GPS ) where it blurted sentences out paused for approx 7 seconds and then blurted more out, but this seems fine in mmv5 (plus i've updated the rom [:o] )

cheers

Page28

to checkout the Kaiser in more detail http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Kaiser

Take a look at the link in my sig. It's also marketed as the Orange TYTN II, MDA Vario III, AT&T Tilt, and another O2 name that escapes me at the moment.

I agree - I have the MDA Vario III version, and it rocks in a very, very big rocky way as a Geocaching device. I use it to find caches and log them as soon as I find them.

Only drawbacks are very poor battery life when using GPS, and lack of waterproofing - I'll often revert back to the trusty old Geko 201, especially in wet weather, and I'm certainly not going to retire this little machine in the near future.

Lee

The htc TYTN II=kaiser = an 02 Stellar = eyc,etc

I have just started to use it for caching. 1st observation is that the screen is useless in direct sunlight !

I have had a GPS problem (manifested itself in BEELINE GPS ) where it blurted sentences out paused for approx 7 seconds and then blurted more out, but this seems fine in mmv5 (plus i've updated the rom [:o] )

cheers

Page28

to checkout the Kaiser in more detail http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Kaiser

I've got one too and I love it. Not had problems with Beeline! I store all files on a memory card. I create PQ's on it and have them emailed direct to the phone. I've definitely gone out more after work now I always have a GPSr in my pocket! My backup is a Vario II with BTGPSr. Battery life isn't great (about 4 hours) but it outlasts me/the dog. Keep thinking about buying a proper GPS (one that bounces!) but the Vario III is too easy! It's great for logging finds and writing forum posts.

I use the N95, it a love it hate phone:

GPS (Sirf II) Not the greatest positioing, slow startup,

5 Meg Camera uses all the ram so all other apps shut down.

Car route planning available Garmin XT, Nokia Maps etc,

View Ranger Stunning Software but you have to buy maps :o if caching in one area pricless.

Poor Battery Life 3 hours from full with GPS Running.

But Fast Charging,

Trimbles Geocache Navigator.

Full Web brousing capabilitiues.

Bluetooth,

Wifi. etc

What I do if charge it evry time I am at home or in the Car. It normally does most of day then, or just turn of the GPS when you are not using it...

Biggest advantage as long as you have your phonewith you you can always sneek of and do a Cache ;).

Best

Gerrit

Just a quick addition to yesterdays post..

I was out yesterday evening using just the o2 stellar (no backup devices with me to fall back on !) It performed very well, GPS was spot on in MM v5 and as the sun wasn't blazing from directly above the screen was usable. Opera mobile works really well. You can upload pictures with it where as MS PIE won't let you....

Tom Tom works as does GPXsonar... the only drawback its relatively fragile compared to a pucker GPS....

Edited by page28

Worth noting that a lot of inbuilt GPS on phones don't do static navigation. They are fine for speeds in cars but are quite jumpy when on foot. Worth double checking reviews before buying one, especially with regards to geocaching.

I personally have a PPC (T Mobile MDA Touch) with external bluetooth GPS. External GPS sounds like a pain, but it's the size of a matchbox and has it's own battery.

I run cachemate on the phone and pick up PQs straight to it via emails. I use the external GPS to find out where I am, so I can sort the cachemate database by distance. I then use cachemate to log finds, travel bugs etc. I also sometimes use Google Earth on it. Tomtom runs flawlessly on it, but as I have a unit already, I've never bothered.

I have an "unlimited" (1Gb/month) data plan. GC renders quite good in pIE, navigating around quite easy. The only drawback I've found is that I'm unable to download the individual gpx file from a cache page. pIE and Opera mobile want to save the "cache_details.asp" page instead of the actual gpx. Anyone with a solution?

I then use my yellow etrex to find caches, as it can get wet and takes more of a battering than a £200-£300 phone! Admittedly, I have to type in the co-ords manually, but if I know I'm going on a caching session, I pre-load the waypoints before leaving.

I did find a few caches using the trial version of BeeLine GPS and thought it was quite good, but not worth the asking price, but that's just personal opinion at the end of the day.

I quite like this setup, as I don't rely on one device for everything. If my etrex dies, I can continue using the external GPS and cachmate, and if my phone dies, I can continue caching logging finds using a pen and a piece of paper found in my coat, wallet, floor etc...

Edited by moche