Palm OS incompatible with MS Vista Software?

Pathfinders4

If you haven't heard Microsoft's new Vista software is incompatible with Palm's OS (or vice versa, I guess). My previous harddrive crashed and we "upgraded" to a new computer which came with Vista. I tried to reload my Palm Quick Install and lo and behold, I get a note from Palm that the "software is currently incompatible". All this happened the night before we were off to DC for a road trip. It's tough doing virtual caches if you don't know what clues to search for.

Has anyone figured out a "work-around" to get the pdb files from GSAK onto your palm using Vista?

(I am NOT a techie, so you can't be too detailed in your assistance). :)

If it makes any difference, I was able to load "part" {?} of the software. My Palm will hot sync now, but when I try and export caches from GSAK, I get a message that there are no users on the desktop and that I should use Palm Desktop to create a new user.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW-Incredible virtuals around the mall in DC. Highly recommend the adventure!!

Thanks- Pathfinders4

If you haven't heard Microsoft's new Vista software is incompatible with Palm's OS (or vice versa, I guess). My previous harddrive crashed and we "upgraded" to a new computer which came with Vista. I tried to reload my Palm Quick Install and lo and behold, I get a note from Palm that the "software is currently incompatible". All this happened the night before we were off to DC for a road trip. It's tough doing virtual caches if you don't know what clues to search for.

Has anyone figured out a "work-around" to get the pdb files from GSAK onto your palm using Vista?

(I am NOT a techie, so you can't be too detailed in your assistance). :)

If it makes any difference, I was able to load "part" {?} of the software. My Palm will hot sync now, but when I try and export caches from GSAK, I get a message that there are no users on the desktop and that I should use Palm Desktop to create a new user.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW-Incredible virtuals around the mall in DC. Highly recommend the adventure!!

Thanks- Pathfinders4

It works fine, from what I understand. You are using Palm Desktop v6.2.2, right? If not, upgrade from the Palm site.

My Palm m515 works perfectly fine with the Vista OS. Just make sure you download the latest update from the palm web site. At first, some of the older Palm OS was not working with Vista, like mine. But since downloading the update last year, Vista and my m515 have been hot syncing ever since.

My Palm m515 works perfectly fine with the Vista OS. Just make sure you download the latest update from the palm web site. At first, some of the older Palm OS was not working with Vista, like mine. But since downloading the update last year, Vista and my m515 have been hot syncing ever since.

:) Ditto........m500 (2ea) Z22 (1ea) all good to go.......

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit Vista OS? I can't seem to get anything to play well with our 64-bit version.

Also my new computer has no serial ports. I can't find drivers for the Palms we own or for the serial-USB dongle either.

I have a Palm IIIxe and my husband has a Zire 31. If I can just figure out how to get his PDA to sync, I can beam the info from his PDA to mine.

Palm never created software to work with Win XP "Media Edition" so I use the card reader to get the .pdb files on the SD card in my Palm m515. If your Palm has a card slot, that is an option if it doesn't HotSync.

I'm running XP Media Center Edition v2002 SP2, and Palm Desktop 6.2.2. They work great together. Never had a problem HotSyncing.

Palm never created software to work with Win XP "Media Edition" so I use the card reader to get the .pdb files on the SD card in my Palm m515. If your Palm has a card slot, that is an option if it doesn't HotSync.

I'm running XP Media Center Edition v2002 SP2, and Palm Desktop 6.2.2. They work great together. Never had a problem HotSyncing.

Which PDA do you have? The Palm site only recommends Palm Desktop 4.1.4 for the m-Series and that one is not compatible with "Media Center."

Oh dear, I just loaded the software via the web off the palm site and just used it. Guess I better stop using it now since it is not suppose to work. drat.

Jim

You don't say which version of Vista you have or what PDA you are using?

The latest update from Palm specifically says it only supports 32-bit --it will not support 64-bit OS. Very few of the Palms are supported by the 32-bit update.

I'd be interested in hearing which Palm you are using.

Which PDA do you have? The Palm site only recommends Palm Desktop 4.1.4 for the m-Series and that one is not compatible with "Media Center."

Although I currently have a Palm Centro, before that I used Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on my XP Media Center with my old Palm VII, with no problems at all.

Hmmm . . . that's interesting.

I've tried logging off the Limited account, logging in as Administrator, with no other programs running, and I still get the Blue Screen of Death. Even doing that and then trying a transfer using Pilot Install, I would occasionally get the BSoD. Using the card reader has eliminated those scary problems.

I have Vista Home Premium and a Palm Z22. When I got my laptop, I didn't install Palm from the CD, just went straight to the website and downloaded it with no problem.

What did you download from the website?

You must be running the 32-bit version. I can't get my 64-bit Vista OS to run any of the Palm downloads.

How do you sync?

Edited by Neos2