Summer Time Grill Only Recipe Cointest

Nochipra

Htapothi sti Skhara - Flame-Grilled Octopus

In Greek: χταπόδι στη σχάρα, pronounce khtah-PO-thee stee SKHAH-rah

It's a classic image that comes to mind when many think of Greece: sitting under an umbrella by the seaside, with ouzo or wine and a plate of freshly grilled octopus. It's delicious, and you can create the same atmosphere at home.

Cook Time: 1 hours, 10 minutes

Ingredients:

4 1/2 pounds of octopus, fresh or frozen (defrosted)

olive oil to coat

-----------

For the sauce:

1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil

juice of 2 lemons or vinegar (about 4 tablespoons)

-----------

To garnish:

crushed Greek oregano (rigani)

Preparation:

A note about octopus: Octopus loses a lot of its volume during cooking, so expect that the finished dish will look like quite a bit less than the original quantity.

If the octopus has not been cleaned: Under running water, remove and discard the ink sac, stomach, and eyes from the large head cavity. Remove the beak, at the bottom of the head where it joins the tentacles, with a sharp knife. (Squeamish? Wear rubber gloves.)

Place the whole octopus in a pot with enough boiling water to to cover generously. When it resumes boiling, cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain. When cool enough to handle, rub the octopus with your hands under running water to remove the dark outer membrane. This comes off fairly easily, and if it doesn't all come off, that's all right.

Place the octopus in the pressure cooker with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, seal, and when pressure is reached, lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Use quick pressure release, remove the octopus and drain.

When the octopus is cool enough to handle, cut off the tentacles, and cut the head sac into 1/2 inch strips. Brush with olive oil (or brush the grill) and grill over low coals for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (test for tenderness).

Just before serving, cut tentacles into 3/4 to 1 inch pieces (on a diagonal), and make the sauce: whip the oil and lemon juice or vinegar in the blender until it thickens (a few seconds). Pour over the octopus, sprinkle with oregano, and serve.

Another taste: Serve grilled octopus with slices of lime.

Goes great with...Ouzo!!!! :)

Kotopoulo sta Karvouna me Latholemono: Grilled Lemon Chicken

In Greek: κοτόπουλο στα κάρβουνα, pronounced koh-TOH-poo-loh stah KAR-voo-nah

Chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, and Greek oregano is cooked over the coals and basted with latholemono (oil and lemon sauce) for a fabulous dish that can only taste better when eaten with the hands. In addition to basting with and oil-lemon sauce, serve with lemon wedges for a last minute squeeze.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

4 pounds of chicken, cut in large serving sized pieces

2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of pepper

2 teaspoons of crushed Greek oregano (rigani)

juice of 2 lemons

2/3 cup of olive oil

2-3 lemons, cut in wedges

Preparation:

Combine lemon juice and olive oil in blender and beat at high speed for several seconds until thick and creamy. Brush meat lightly with a little of the sauce.

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and oregano. Lay chicken on a platter and sprinkle on both sides.

Heat meat rack 4-6 inches over red hot coals for a few minutes. Spread coals evenly and cook chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. Use tongs to turn frequently, basting often with the oil-lemon mixture. Test for doneness.

Serve with lemon wedges, and extra lemon wedges for hand cleaning.

Yield: Serves 4

Recipe quantities: To increase or decrease the recipe, figure on 1 pound of raw chicken per person.

Paithakia Skharas me Thymari: Grilled Lamb Chops with Thyme Rub

In Greek: παϊδάκια σχάρας με θυμάρι, pronounced pah-ee-THAHK-yah SKAH-rahs meh thee-MAH-ree

The beauty of this recipe is that it works as well for one as it does for one hundred. A simple classic Greek dish cooked in the traditional way - on the grill. For best results, use fresh thyme. Its slightly woodsy smell goes perfectly with lamb.

Small or baby lamb chops are often sold as a "rack of lamb." Ask your butcher to cut it in 1/2 inch chops, not one rib to a chop (although for baby lamb, it may work out to one rib/chop).

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

2-4 (or more) lamb chops per person, 1/2 inch thick (depending on the size of the chops and the size of appetites)

several stems of fresh thyme

olive oil

sea salt

Preparation:

Rinse the chops to remove any debris and pat dry.

Rub the thyme in your hands. Several of the small leaves will stick. Pour 1/4 teaspoon of Greek olive oil into one palm and rub hands together. Rub the lamb chops on both sides and around the edges to coat (very lightly) with the rub. Continue until all chops are coated, repeating the thyme-olive oil combination in the palms as needed.

Sprinkle with sea salt, and grill.

To prepare ahead of time: Cover chops with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Do not let them marinate for more than an hour. Baby lamb chops are already very tender and marinating for longer will soften the meat too much.

Grill over high heat to crisp on the outer edges for a few minutes on each side. Cook to taste. Baby lamb chops will cook quickly and can be eaten from medium-rare to well-done.

Grilled lamb chops are traditionally eaten with a squeeze or three of lemon juice, so serve with lemon wedges on the side.

Biftekia Skharas: Grilled Hamburgers

In Greek: μπιφτέκια σχάρας, pronounced beef-TEK-yah SKHAH-rahs

This is a traditional recipe for hamburgers to cook on the grill or under the broiler in the oven. If you like onions, add 1 medium finely minced onion to the mix.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of ground beef

4 tablespoons of toasted breadcrumbs

1/2 cup of chopped parsley

1 tablespoon of chopped fresh Greek oregano (rigani) or 1 teaspoon of dried

2 eggs

olive oil

1 teaspoon of sea salt

1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper to taste

lemon wedges (for garnish)

Preparation:

In a large bowl, add all ingredients except olive oil, and knead to a well blended mixture. Add olive oil as needed to moisten. Form into hamburger patties.

When ready to cook, brush grate with oil and place patties on hot grate. Cook until done to taste.

Yield: 4-6 burgers

Okay I dont really like bbq but I love my corn done on the grill do heres that receipe. :)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

5 ears corn, husks and silk removed

2 cup shredded Parmesan

1 tsp each of salt and pepper (freshly ground)

a dash per cob Chili powder

Prepare grill.

Brush a thin layer of mayonnaise on corn. Sprinkle the corn with cheese, chili powder, salt and pepper. Wrap each corn with foil and place on the grill. Turn occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes. When corn is golden they are done. Serve warm.

Wow! So many recipes in so little a time? I guess I'm going to have to end this a little quicker than I planned? Ok, the deadline is Sunday June 8 at midnight. Keep on posting but please try to post something you have really cooked or at least tried to cook. It looks like we have some real grill chef's around here. They all look so good!

Hey Gatoulis, Chip and I went to the Harborfest festival today in Norfolk, Va. It's a big festival they have around here every year out near the water. Every year they have this stand that serves gyros and I have to get at least one or two when I go. The people who run it are greek. The meat they use is a combo of lamb and beef on nice thick warm pita bread (or more like flat bread here in the U.S.) and they put lettuce, tomatoe, and a delicious type of cucumber sauce on it. They are out of this world!!! I was curious though? Is the meat they use in Greece all lamb or is it a combo of lamb and beef? Whatever it is it is very delicious! I also had to have a fried snickers bar for desert! Boy do I love festival food!

Garlic Ribs

INGREDIENTS

* 6 1/2 pounds pork baby back ribs

* 1 teaspoon dried thyme

* 2 teaspoons dried oregano

* 2 teaspoons garlic powder

* 2 tablespoons salt

* 1 tablespoon ground black pepper

* 1 teaspoon dry mustard

* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

* 2 tablespoons soy sauce

* 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

* 1/2 cup steak sauce

* 3 tablespoons white wine

* 2 cloves crushed garlic

* 2 teaspoons ground black pepper

* 8 tablespoons plum sauce

* 1 (12 ounce) jar honey

* 3 tablespoons molasses

DIRECTIONS

1. Place ribs in a large pot, cover with water and add thyme, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes.

2. Remove from heat and either let stand until ready to barbecue or cook immediately.

3. Meanwhile, mix together the sauce ingredients and blend well. Remove ribs from liquid and brush both sides with the sauce.

4. If possible barbecue the ribs 6 to 8 inches from the coals for 15-20 minutes or until brown and crisp. Basting frequently. Serve with remaining sauce.

Oops, I just realized I'm too late. Still check out the recipe, it's good stuff :blink:

Edited by Taubin

Wow! So many recipes in so little a time? I guess I'm going to have to end this a little quicker than I planned? Ok, the deadline is Sunday June 8 at midnight. Keep on posting but please try to post something you have really cooked or at least tried to cook. It looks like we have some real grill chef's around here. They all look so good!

Hey Gatoulis, Chip and I went to the Harborfest festival today in Norfolk, Va. It's a big festival they have around here every year out near the water. Every year they have this stand that serves gyros and I have to get at least one or two when I go. The people who run it are greek. The meat they use is a combo of lamb and beef on nice thick warm pita bread (or more like flat bread here in the U.S.) and they put lettuce, tomatoe, and a delicious type of cucumber sauce on it. They are out of this world!!! I was curious though? Is the meat they use in Greece all lamb or is it a combo of lamb and beef? Whatever it is it is very delicious! I also had to have a fried snickers bar for desert! Boy do I love festival food!

Hello my dear friends!

So, you ate Greek food!!!

Here, Gyros os made of pork or chicken! Chicken is mostly if you are on a diet...:blink:

We do not put lettuse! We usually put tomatoes, onions, and sometimes, fried potatoes! Of course, we put the cucumber sauce, that we call tzatziki! It is made yoghurt, smashed garlic, thin pieces like sticks of cucumber, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper! You mixed them very good with a spoon, and...here it is!!! :D

The souse must not be liquid!!! try it! I am sure you will like it! It goes really good with any barbeque meat!!

If you want the tzatziki to be "strong" put more garlic!!

You may find Cyprus pita as well! This is different from our pita! It is bigger, thicker, and they are cuting the pie in the middle and stuff the inside part with that same things! :-)

We also have souvlaki, pork usually, in wooden sticks! you can eat it in pita, or alone, with a small piece of bread! :P

You may find lamp meat in gyros, in places with muslims, or if the owners are muslims! That is because they do not eat pork meat! In Turkey, I think it is like that! It is famous in this too!

I have to say that some people put in souvlaki parsley too, and some othres, put in gyros & souvlaki an extra sause, made or ketsup and mayonese.... It is all a matter of taste! :D

Oh! I almost forgot!! You may find a kind of local food called Kebab with pita. That's minced meat of lamb and goat meat mixed together with galic, onion, salt and peper, (sometimes we put some red wine, just for the taste) and it has the shape of a sausage. We grill it and when it is ready we put it in the pita, of course with tomate, onions and parcely!

The funny thing is that all these kind of foods, were created as a kind of fast food and cheap food!!

If you were on road and you were hungry, if you couldn't affort a "real" meal, gyros and souvlaki were the best!!

Now, The "poor man's food", is the most famous food of Greece!!! B)

Of course, we put the cucumber sauce, that we call tzatziki! It is made yoghurt, smashed garlic, thin pieces like sticks of cucumber, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper! You mixed them very good with a spoon, and...here it is!!! :blink:

The souse must not be liquid!!! try it! I am sure you will like it! It goes really good with any barbeque meat!!

If you want the tzatziki to be "strong" put more garlic!!

We love tzatziki with grilled foods! Actually, with ANY spicy food where you need something to kind of bring the heat down a little bit :D. It's a very fresh, cool flavor!

I posted a simple recipe for it here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3506261

It's not got the olive oil and vinegar in it, it truly is a simple recipe, but it's VERY good and VERY addicting :P

Naomi

Beer Can Chicken beer_can_chicken.jpg

This chicken is the juiciest, most mouthwatering bird you'll ever try. I also like the aspect of theater when you cook it, because it looks so damned weird on the grill. This bird is simply deeee-licious! The beer inside the cavity steams the chicken from the inside, keeping it moist and juicy, while the dry heat of the grill forms a nice crisp skin. Once you've cooked a chicken with this method, you'll never want to do it any other way!

1 whole chicken

1 can o' beer

olive oil

4 cloves garlic crushed

salt and black pepper

your favorite beer (for marinating the chef!)

seasoning for chicken (or use a seasoning blend of your own favorites):

4 cloves garlic, crushed

fresh basil

a pinch of cayenne

salt and pepper

Start with a hot grill (coals all white and ready to cook). Drink about 1/4 of that can of beer. Set it aside 3/4 full and have a couple of full ones, real beer this time—no sissy canned stuff.

Get the chicken ready for cookin'. Trim some of the fat, get rid of the giblets (here kitty kitty!). Rub liberally with your favorite meat rub. I prefer olive oil, basil, lots of fresh pressed garlic, salt, and a pinch of cayenne. Some folks like Zartarain's or some such store bought concoction, but whatever.

Get a can opener or some such tool and open up the top of the can and drop in the crushed garlic.

Oil up the can and lower that chicken over top of it. The beer can goes into the chicken's body cavity and allows the bird to stand upright.

Cover your grill and cook the chicken until its wings are loose and the skin turns clear. Grilling times vary pretty dramatically—from 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the size of your bird and the heat of your coals. Use a meat thermometer to check for a breast (not touching the bone) temperature of 160°.

This is terrific with garlic and potatoes or roasted corn.

Tips:

I have used lemon, garlic, rosemary, and plenty of black pepper under the skin to season our chicken, then rubbed it with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then secured the loose flaps at the bottom of the breast with a few toothpicks.

Other things I have tryed that worked well was pouring Jamaica Mistake marinade inside the skin prior to cooking. Using a meat injector to add flavor near the bone when there wasn't time to let the bird marinate for severa hours. And theres reports from friends that using other cans of liquids such as Root Beer and Lemonaid instead of beer works just as well.

I'm thinking that we need to get All these and the Christmas recipes together :blink:

O.K. I use my grill But it is for how I make my Turkey:

I basically smoke it but remember it is still on my grill :D In my opinion, this is the only way to cook turkey 'cept maybe those peanut fryers.

Shouldn't this be in the off topic forum? :wub:

Nope, cuz there's a coin being given away for it....... :wub:

Oh, my bad. Missed the cointest part... cointest away...!

I guess anything is fair game as long as you give a coin away. There has never been a bigger need for an OT forum here to clean up the coin forums.

And to stay on topic...Open pack, place dogs on grill, rotate when turning black and bubbling, remove and place in bun of equal size.

Take a big slab of meaty beef ribs, sprinkle with pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary. Then, rub down with virgin olive oil and place in hot smoker. Be sure to keep temp between 250 and 300 degrees F, and the water pan full. I use charcoal briquets and fresh mesquite myself, but the wood preference is all yours.

Grilled Sweet Potato Coins BBQ Recipe

Blanching is the secret here: It locks in flavour and colour for exceptionally flavourful sweet potatoes.

bbq_vegetables_grilled_sweet_potato_coins_recipe.jpg

1 quart salted water

2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total)

Ice water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

In a 2-quart saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick disks. Add disks to boiling water; blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove sweet potatoes from water and plunge into a bowl of ice water to chill.

Remove from water, dry, and place in bowl or large plastic bag. Pour oil over sweet potatoes; toss to coat.

Place sweet potatoes in centre of cooking grate. Grill 4 to 6 minutes, turning once during cooking time. Remove sweet potatoes from grill; sprinkle with salt.

Makes 4 servings.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess I should have actually added a recipe with that. Sorry.

I'm not much of a cook (in the kitchen or out)

I have done a smoked turkey on the grill though.

Here's how my dad taught me to do it

Basically,

1. Soak wood chips overnight

2. start coals

3. push coals to the side and add a pan in the middle to catch the drippings

4. oil or butter the turkey

5. add spices of choice (garlic, basil, hawaiian salt, whatever)

6. add wood chips to coals

7.Put turkey over pan and cover

8. Go out every 30-45 minutes to add coals and wood chips

cook for about 8 hours

Put some chicken breast in a pan, put an instant onionsoup over it, fill it up with cream

Leave it over night and then put it on the grill

alternative you can put the whole thing into an oven an leave it there for about an hour 180 degrees celsius

just delicious

(by the way) most recipies from yesterday I also did in one way or another, maybe slight variations, the internet english versions of the recipies are easier to read than my translations :wub:

Here is my recipe for my favorite grilled ribs:

Chili Rubbed Ribs

5 lbs. pork side ribs, precooked (Always pre cook ribs or they will burn before becoming tender). Do this by cutting into portion sized slabs, throw in a boiling pot of water for 45 min or until tender)

Whisk together:

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tbsp veg. oil

2 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce

6 crushed garlic cloves

2 tbsp. chili powder ( I put more)

1 tbsp. brown sugar

2 tsp. ground cumin

Oil and preheat grill. Barbeque ribs for 5 min per side, then generously brush sauce over both sides of ribs. Continue barbequing until ribs are glazed, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Gotta serve it with grilled corn on the cob :wub:

Ok, thanks for waiting everyone. After eliminating all of the non recipe posts I decided to give away two coins instead of one. The two numbers that came up are...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....

Post #58 Gatoulis and Post #32 Eltada. Please send me your addresses for your prizes. Thank you all for entering the contest and I hope to do some more soon.

Wow, I missed this great cointest :wub: I have to reread this a couple of times and note down a few of the recipes!

And congratulations to the winners!

Naomi, I too love Tsatsiki and make it nearly the same way, but I add some curd to make it thicker and creamier. Only curd, yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, salt and pepper... we love it :)

Geo.Error, Tschakko, what about this one: GC1D10H :wub::D I am thinking of going there, too

Congrats to Gatoulis and Eltada :wub:

Gatoulis, you seem to have a run of luck :) Keep it up... :wub:

@Steinwälzer: Würde gerne kommen, aber ich bin momentan im Diplomarbeitsstress, Abgabe rückt näher, wenn ich es irgendwie schaffe und gut voran komme werde ich es versuchen :D Danke für den Hinweis auf das Event, es klingt sehr verlockend.

Edited by Tschakko

Wow, I missed this great cointest :) I have to reread this a couple of times and note down a few of the recipes!

And congratulations to the winners!

Naomi, I too love Tsatsiki and make it nearly the same way, but I add some curd to make it thicker and creamier. Only curd, yoghurt, cucumber, garlic, salt and pepper... we love it :D

Geo.Error, Tschakko, what about this one: GC1D10H :wub::D I am thinking of going there, too

:D hi steinwalzer, sorry :wub: , i can't come on 12 juli, it is pity, i realy love to meet you and natural to join the german barbecue :D:D and caching, let not forget caching :) .

Thanks for pointing at this event.

YAY!

I am new to the forums and this is the first time I have won a cointest! What great fun! And I can't wait to try some of these delicious recipes!

I have just started my geocoin collection and this will be number 7!

Thanks so much!

(message sent)

YAY!

I am new to the forums and this is the first time I have won a cointest! What great fun! And I can't wait to try some of these delicious recipes!

I have just started my geocoin collection and this will be number 7!

Thanks so much!

(message sent)

:wub::wub: Wow, Eltada, now i am more happy for you as i already were. :):D

Hello to all!! WOW! I won? Thank you!!!!

in #58 recipe, I wrote that you put fresh oreganon, and some dried! I asked again my mother, and she is not puting fresh one, but the dried! Fresh one is a little bitter, so... she puts only dried oreganon, 1 teaspoon, or 1.5! :wub:

The good thing is that you can make many varietes in food! If you do not like something you can put something else, just leave it out....

Personaly, I love the Grilled Hamburgers (#58), when they are hot to put a leaf of cheese on the top! I am talking about the yellow cheese that melts... :wub:

I hope you will try tzatziki too! It's.... delicious!!!!! :)

Congratulations to Eltada to!! :D

Thanks Geo.Error - when I first joined this forum I remember someone saying that you need to hide your wallet RIGHT AWAY if you are thinking of collecting geocoins...oh they were SOOOOoooo right! lol!

My hat off to you Gatoulis as well for your win! :wub:

:) Oh, and sometimes, my mother takes an egg, brakes it and starts hitting the inside with a fork, in a deep plate, and then place it with the other materials in the recipes for the humbourgers! This makes the humbourger softer! :wub:

There are many varietes in greek food! You may even see a different way of cooking of the same thing, in every island or part of Greece!! :wub:

This one is so yummy we love it

B)

Beer Can Chicken BBQ Recipe

For the rub:

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon granulated onion

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 whole chicken, 4 to 5 pounds

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1 can (16 ounces) beer (tall boy)

To make the rub: In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.

Remove and discard the neck, giblets, and any excess fat from the chicken. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Lightly spray or brush all over with the vegetable oil and season, inside and out, with the rub.

Open the beer can and pour off half of the beer. Set the half-full can on a flat surface and slide the chicken over the top so the can fits inside the cavity. Transfer the bird to the grill, keeping the can upright. Carefully balance the bird on its two legs and the can. Grill over Indirect Medium heat until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170°F in the breast and 180°F in the thickest part of the thigh, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Wearing barbecue mitts, carefully remove the chicken and the can from the grill, being careful not to spill the beer – it will be hot. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before lifting it from the can. Discard the beer. Cut the chicken into serving pieces. Serve warm.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Easy Foil Fish

1 or 2 whole fillets of your favorite fish. I like Artic Char or salmon

1 tablespoon butter

1 fistful of cilantro, minced

1 small onion or shallot, minced

juice of 1/2 lime

salt and peper to taste

heavy duty aluminum foil

Cover fish with pats of butter and all ingredients. Wrap in foil "envelope". Grill over medium heat for 2-3 on each side.

EDIT: too late to win, but it's an easy and tasty recipe.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Just a quick post to say thanks again for hosting this cointest...I got some good summer recipes out of it!

But I did want to ask about the coin that I won...I still haven't received it. I moved back in the summer so naturally I am worried about anything that did not show up...

Hope everyone is enjoying these last few days of "summer weather" we have been granted before winter sets in (at least up here in Canada!).

Hello my friend! I haven't received my coin too!

I am worried if something hapent to Nochipra family! I haven't seen them posting much, and I am worried! I hope everything is ok!

Oh!! The weather here in Greece is still fine!! :D Only a little colder, but still sunshine!!! :laughing: My mother went for a swim yesterday! the sea is still fine! :blink: