Summer Time Grill Only Recipe Cointest

Nochipra

Ok, I'm bored again so I have some coins coming in the mail soon so I'm going to make another cointest. Post your best Summertime grilling recipes (grill only recipes please). I'll pick the winner by random number generator. I'm not sure how long I'll run it , probably a week or so or until I get a good amount of posts. I'll make an announcement when the contest ends later. Post as many as you like. Good Luck.

Edited by Nochipra

:) Shrimp Kababs... Medium to large skrimps alternated with pineapple on a stick with your favorite sauce... Ummmo!!! I would share my secret bbq sauce recipe for this... but it's one of those things that would require bribes and cursing and lots of coins trading hands... :(

Oh.. and BTW.. it does NOT take long to grill shrimp.. I've eaten lotsa charred ones to attest to that fact.

I am giving the whole thing, it is not real long, just alot to type....lol

Servings:5 Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 1 hr

Serve with Grilled toast (plain or lightly coated with garlic powder). Fried potatoes in butter and garlic.

What you need:

2 Sheets foil

3 lbs pork baby back ribs

1 Tbsp packed brown sugar

1 Tbsp paprika

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 cup water

1 1/2 cup Bar B Que sauce (I love K.C Masterpiece)

What to do:

1. Preheat grill to medium (normal cook temp for burgers will do) (I use charcoal, gives better flavor, but is a little harder to use to cook seeing that you dont have a constant flame. So you can do this with a propane grill if prefered).

2. Center half of ribs in a single layer on each sheet of foil. Combine brown sugar and spices; rub over ribs, turning to coat evenly

3. Bring up foil sides. Double fold top and one end to seal packet.Through open end, add 1/4 cup water. Double fold remaining end leaving room for heat circulation inside. Make 2 packets.

4. Grill 45 minutes to an hour in covered grill. Remove ribs from foil, place ribs on grill.

5. Brush Ribs with Bar B Ques Sacue. Continue grilling 10 - 15 minutes brushing with sauce and turning every 5 minutes.

This is my personal recipe and I try to make them at least once a year. They are very yummy and practically fall off the bone. I have also done this same recipe on an open fire while camping. Just have to watch a little more and make sure not to over cook. Enjoy!

SHERRY SMOKED CHICKEN

2 cups dry sherry

1/2 cup white wine vinegar

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

5 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium onion, chopped

1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

3 (3-pound) broiler-fryers

wood chips, soaked

Combine dry sherry, vinegar, teriyaki sauce, garlic, onion and brown sugar in a large, shallow dish. Place chicken in dish turning once in marinade. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning chicken occasionally.

Prepare wood and charcoal fire in smoker. Place wood chips on coals. Place water pan in smoker, and pour in marinade; finish filling with water.

Spray grill rack with oil. Place chickens on the grill rack. Insert meat thermometer, making sure it does not touch bone (or plan to use an instant-read thermometer instead).

Cover with smoker lid; cook 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 185°F degrees. Refill water pan and add charcoal as needed.

Yield: 15 to 20 servings.

Yummi :)

One more great recipe :(

By the way thank you fro this tastful cointest :)

CHICKEN SATE WITH PEANUT SAUCE

MARINADE:

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 teaspoon curry powder

2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

2 garlic cloves, minced

crushed dried chile peppers

PEANUT SAUCE:

3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter

1 1/2 cup coconut milk, unsweetened

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons molasses (or brown sugar)

1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated

4 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup chicken broth

1/4 cup heavy cream

cayenne pepper

grated lime zest

fresh cilantro sprigs

6 chicken breast halves, boned, skinned, and cut

into 1/2" wide strips

To make the marinade, combine the first 7 ingredients in a shallow dish.

Thread the chicken strips onto bamboo skewers in a serpentine fashion.

Place the skewers into the soy sauce mixture and allow to marinate at least 2 hours under refrigeration, although overnight is preferable.

Make the peanut sauce by combining the next 7 ingredients (peanut butter through garlic) in a saucepan.

Season to taste with cayenne pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is as thick as heavy cream (about 15 minutes).

Transfer to a food processor or blender and purée briefly. Add chicken broth and cream and blend until smooth.

This mixture can be made several hours ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving. Prepare moderate-hot charcoal coals or preheat a broiler.

Cook the skewered chicken, turning several times and basting with the marinade, until crispy on the outside but still moist on the inside, about 8 minutes.

Sprinkle grilled chicken with lime zest and garnish with cilantro leaves.

Serve with the peanut sauce for dipping.

Some recipe for vegetarians: :)

GRILLED POTATOES

6 medium new potatoes

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/3 tsp garlic powder)

1/2 chicken bouillon cube

1 tsp onion soup mix

1/4 tsp rubbed sage (optional)

pinch cayenne pepper

sea salt (or coarse kosker salt)

fresh parsley, minced

Combine ingredients in a medium bowl (except potatoes and sea salt). A blender may be used.

Meanwhile, light the grill on high setting. Spray or wipe grates with oil to prevent sticking.

Scrub potatoes, remove eyes, leaving skin on. Slice potatoes 3/8 of an inch thick (coin shaped disks).

Dip sliced potatoes into oil and turn to coat well. Place on hot grill, then a few minutes later, turn diagonally to get diamond shaped grill marks. Drizzle small amounts of the oil mixture on top as they cook. Turn potatoes over and repeat on the other side.

Close cover an roast for about 10 minutes or until potatoes have prominent grill marks and are lightly browned on edges.

Slide potatoes onto a microwave safe dish and cook on high power for 2 additional minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and sea salt, to taste. Serve.

Note: If there is any remaining oil mixture, use it to sauté greens or green beans, or add balsamic vinegar and use it as a marinade for meat.

Garry's Smokin' Hot Buffalo Wings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By : Garry Howard

8 Pounds fresh chicken wings

salt

cayenne pepper

3/4 Cup butter

1 1/2 Cups Frank's Original Hot Sauce

Sprinkle the chicken wings liberally with salt and cayenne. Put into the smoker at 200 degrees for three hours smoking with a combination of hickory and cherry wood. If you want the skin crispy, grill them for a few minutes to crisp them up.

Remove wings from smoker and cut apart the "drumstick" and wing sections discarding the wing tips. Combine the butter and hot sauce in a sauce pan and heat until steaming.

Pour the sauce over the wings and enjoy!

GRILLING WITH TERIYAKI SAUCE

2 cups soy sauce

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon molasses (optional)

1 oz dry sherry or bourbon

1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger

3 cloves garlic, grated

1 tsp Accent (optional)

Combine ingredients except for ginger and garlic in a saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add ginger and garlic; cool.

This sauce can be used to baste or marinate chicken, spareribs, or mixed with hamburger. Marinate sirloin steak tips in bite-sized pieces for barbecued skewers. Use as a marinade for shish-ke-bab lamb; lace the skewer with quartered onions, bell peppers, teriyaki lamb and cherry tomatoes before barbecuing over white-hot coals.

Teriyaki Burgers:

Season hamburger with pepper, garlic powder or finely minced fresh garlic (omit salt) and freshly chopped parsley. Form hamburger into patties. Marinate burgers in teriyaki sauce for 10 minutes before grilling. Barbecue over medium flame or broil, turning once. Brush with teriyaki sauce. Serve on buttered, toasted/grilled buns with leaves of buttercrunch lettuce, a few thinly sliced tomatoes and rings of Vidalia or sweet Spanish onions.

Teriyaki Steak Tips:

Thinly slice (2 inch strips X 1 inch) 3 lbs Sirloin steak tips. Thread beef onto skewers (can be done in advance and refrigerated). Dip skewers in teriyaki sauce or marinate for up to 1 hour. Broil or grill over high heat, basting with teriyaki sauce several times during the cooking.

Teriyaki Chicken:

Use chicken breast tenders or legs. Marinate chicken overnight in a Ziploc bag, shaking and turning occasionally to distribute evenly. Broil or grill over high heat, brushing with sauce occasionally until the final 10 minutes of cooking.

Teriyaki Steaks:

Marinate a tender steak cut for 20-30 minutes in teriyaki sauce. Broil or grill over white hot coals, turning once; brush both sides with sauce. Cook quickly over high heat. For less tender steak cuts, marinate overnight and cook slowly over a lower heat.

Teriyaki Fish:

Thick teriyaki sauce by adding 1 tablespoon cornstarch and bringing to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow sauce to cool. Use to brush fish while on the barbecue.

Teriyaki Roast Beef:

Marinate a 3-5 lb beef roast overnight in sauce (refrigerated). Pour half of sauce into the bottom of roasting pan. Roast at 250-275F, basting occasionally with remaining sauce. Do not allow sauce in pan to burn, add water or wine if needed. Roast is done when it becomes tender and reaches 145-150F on meat thermometer.

Teriyaki Pork Spareribs:

Instead of using brown sugar, use granulated white sugar. Add pineapple juice to taste. Divide pork spareribs into 3 inch wide sections. Simmer in a large quantity of water for 20 minutes (do not boil). Barbecue ribs over medium-low heat, turning once or twice and basting with teriyaki sauce regularly until ribs are tender. The longer they cook at lower temperatures, the more tender they will become. During the final 15 minutes of cooking, spray ribs lightly with olive oil spray.

I love bananas on barbecue

bbq_desserts_bananas_calypso_recipe.jpg

Bananas Calypso BBQ Recipe

For a dramatic, festive finale, try this flaming tropical dessert. A sweet dessert wine will know just how to coddle the butter and rum, or a sweeter Gewürztraminer will make a great companion to the bananas. Alternatively, a sip of caribbean stout.

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

2 tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 firm bananas, peeled

1/3 cup dark rum

4 scoops ice cream

In a small bowl combine sugar, melted butter, lime juice, and cinnamon. Brush bananas with about 1/4 cup of butter mixture.

Place bananas on center of cooking grate. Grill 2 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling. Slice grilled bananas and place slices in a flameproof dish. Pour remaining 1/2 cup butter mixture into dish. Place dish on center of cooking grate. Cook 5 minutes. Remove dish from grill. Quickly pour rum over bananas. Light rum with long kitchen matches. After flames die out, serve immediately over ice cream.

Makes 4 servings.

Edited by Geo.Error

TANGY CHICKEN BREASTS

1 cup vinegar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring, optional

1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

4 small chicken breast halves without skin

Combine all ingredients except chicken in saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Place chicken breasts in marinade. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours, turning occasionally. Grill 30 to 40 minutes

Ingredients:

* 12 ounces beer

* 1/2 cup tomato juice

* 1/2 cup chopped onion

* 2 small cloves garlic, minced

* 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

* 1/4 cup ketchup

* 2 tablespoons light brown sugar

* 2 teaspoons lemon juice

* 1 tablespoon paprika

* 2 teaspoons dry mustard

* several dashes Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

* salt and pepper

* 4 cups hickory chips or mesquite

* 1 beef brisket, about 5 pounds

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, combine beer, tomato juice, chopped onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, paprika, mustard, hot pepper sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, or until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.

Soak wood chips in water about an hour before cooking time. In covered grill, arrange drip pan between coals. When coals are hot, drain chips and sprinkle chips over the coals. Place brisket on grill over drip pan. Brush with some of the homemade sauce. Cover and grill for 1 hour. Turn brisket, brushing both sides with more sauce. Cover and grill for about 1 hour longer, or until meat is well done. Add more coals and chips as needed. Brush with sauce frequently during last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking time. Bring any remaining sauce to a boil on the stove top and pass with the meat. Serves 8.

Spicy Steak Marinade

bbq_spicy_steak_marinade.jpg

3 tbs orange juice

2 tbs honey

1 tsp English mustard

2 tsp Schwartz Steak Seasoning Simply Shake Seasoning

675 g (1 1/2 lb) rump or sirloin steak

Blend all the marinade ingredients together in a large flat dish. Add the steak and leave to marinate for at least an hour or over night in a refrigerator.

Place on a barbecue or under a pre-heated grill and cook, turning occasionally, basting with any remaining marinade.

Makes 4 servings.

Hi Geo.Error, looks like we are the only ones to grill this summer :)

ngredients:

* 1/2 cup cooked rice

* 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

* 1/4 cup chopped onion

* 2 teaspoons chopped parsley

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

* Tangy Sauce

* 1/4 cup ketchup

* 2 tablespoons chili sauce

* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

* 1/2 teaspoon beef base or bouillon granules

* 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crushed

* 2/3 cup water

Preparation:

Combine rice, green bell pepper, onion, parsley, and seasonings. Add ground beef and mix well. Shape into 4 large patties about 1-inch thick. Grill over hot coals for 15 minutes, turning once. Serve with sauce.

Serves 4

Sauce: Put all ingredients in a saucepan; simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, until hot and thickened.

Grilled Sweet Potato Coins BBQ Recipe

Blanching is the secret here: It locks in flavour and colour for exceptionally flavourful sweet potatoes.

bbq_vegetables_grilled_sweet_potato_coins_recipe.jpg

1 quart salted water

2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total)

Ice water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt

In a 2-quart saucepan bring salted water to a boil. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick disks. Add disks to boiling water; blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove sweet potatoes from water and plunge into a bowl of ice water to chill.

Remove from water, dry, and place in bowl or large plastic bag. Pour oil over sweet potatoes; toss to coat.

Place sweet potatoes in centre of cooking grate. Grill 4 to 6 minutes, turning once during cooking time. Remove sweet potatoes from grill; sprinkle with salt.

Makes 4 servings.

Spicy Popcorn on the Grill

Impress your friends with this wild way to pop corn.

bbq_appetisers_spicy_popcorn_on_the_grill_recipe.jpg

3 tablespoons unpopped popcorn

2 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon chilli powder

1 teaspoon garlic salt

3 8 x 5-1/4–inch foil disposable pans

1 20-inch long strip aluminium foil, folded lengthways until 3 inches wide

Combine popcorn, oil, chilli powder, and garlic salt in one disposable pan; mix well. Place pan inside another pan to double thickness. Invert third disposable pan over popcorn to close. Wrap foil strip crosswise around pan; fold over to secure pans together and to form a handle.

Place pan in centre of cooking grate. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until popping stops.

Makes 5 to 6 servings.

Note: To serve a crowd, multiple pans of popcorn can be popped at once on grill. Also note that chilli powder tends to darken with heat, which may give your popcorn an overcooked appearance but won’t affect taste.

:( Hi Tschakko, i think that we are the only one who is thinking in the morning at barbecue recipre, i love barbecue and you in german are also very good in barbecue, i am thinking to go on holiday in german and enjoy your grill food :)

Roasted Vegetable Stacks

vegstak.jpg

You can also grill the vegetables instead of roasting them. I've made this recipe with great success on camping trips, by grilling the vegetables, then placing the stacks on a small baking pan and returning to the covered grill until the cheese melts.

Marinade

1 T garlic, chopped or pressed

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

1/3 cup olive oil

1 T basil

The Stacks

2 large Portabella Mushrooms

4 slices eggplant, 1/3 inch each

1 yellow squash, cut into 1/3 inch slices

2 slices red onion, 1/3 inch each

4 thick slices of tomato (preferably Beefsteak Tomato)

4 slices of cheese (either swiss, muenster or mozzarella or any combo thereof)

2 T grated parmesan cheese

2 stalks fresh rosemary

Serves 2 (Multiply as needed, great for crowds!)

Combine all marinade ingredients. Chop vegetables. In a large bowl, pour marinade over all vegetables except mushrooms and tomatoes. Let site for about 1/2 hour. Pour marinade on mushrooms only five minutes before roasting, otherwise they will absorb too much. The tomatoes don't need to be marinaded, it will only make them fall apart.

Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush a baking sheet with oil. Remove vegetables from marinade and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until browned and tender. Note: tomatoes need to roast for only 3-5 minutes. Keep a close watch on them or they will completely fall apart when you try to remove them from the baking sheet.

You can alternatively grill the vegetables.

You can prepare up to this point up to two days ahead of time. Store the vegtables in single layers between sheets of plastic wrap in the refrigerator.

When you're ready to bake the stacks, proceed as follows. OIl a baking sheet and place portabella mushrooms on the sheet. Sprinkle parmesan over the portabellas. Top with one slice of eggplant, one slice of tomato, a slice of cheese, onion slice, squash, more cheese squash etc. finishing with the second slce of eggplant. Insert a metal or wooden skewer through the center of each stack from top to bottom. Take a stalk of rosemary and trim off the bottom leaves. Insert rosemary stalk next to skewer and bake stacks for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and vegetables are heated through. Carefully transfer stacks to serving plate and carefully pull out skewers.

Serving Suggestion

I like to serve these stacks on a bed of angel hair pasta with pesto sauce.

Hey Geo.Error, just tell me, when you are coming, maybe I will be able to organise a Grill-Caching-Event :(

The following recipe kind of shocked me, they are putting babies on the grill in Texas? :)

Texas-Style Baby Back Ribs

texasribs.jpg

The first, most important step in making authentic Texas-style ribs is the mop. The mop (so called because it usually applied with the household apparatus of the same name) is basically a marinade, basting sauce, and dipping sauce in one. Real Texas barbecue masters are used to mopping several dozen chickens, slabs of ribs and briskets at a time so they need an actual string mop to handle the task. You can use one of those kitchen glassware scrubbers to get the miniaturized effect. Store extra sauce, refrigerated for future use. This Texas-style mop can also be used on poultry or other meat dishes, especially brisket.

3 large racks, baby back ribs, excess fat trimmed and membrane removed

1 bag medium-size mesquite chips (for outdoor grills)

Marinade & Dipping Sauce

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 C unsalted butter

2 medium-sized white onions, finely chopped

6 medium-sized shallots, finely chopped

10 large cloves garlic, pressed

3 C puréed tomatoes

1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste

1 can (12 oz.) beer

12 oz. water

6 tablespoons vinegar

4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

juice of 1 lemon

6 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons dried mustard powder

2 teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if desired)

salt and pepper to taste

Mop

1 can (12 oz.) beer

1 C reserved marinade

texas style barbecued ribs

Yields 6 Servings Ribs and About 8 Cups Sauce

Heat a large saute pan on a medium-high flame and add the olive oil. After the oil is heated sufficiently, add the butter. Sauté the onions, garlic and shallot until transparent. Add the rest of the liquid ingredients (puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 can beer, water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice), and heat until simmering. Once simmering, add the dry spices, stirring in gradually. Let this mixture simmer for at least 30 minutes. When finished (taste it - you may want to sweeten it with more sugar or spice it up using more cayenne pepper), reserve 1 cup of the sauce for your mop, and at least 1 cup for dipping sauce.

Place the ribs in a shallow baking pan and cover with remaining sauce. Try to fully submerge the ribs and place sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper directly atop the meat, so as to eliminate air. If the ribs are not totally covered, rotate them periodically. Marinate for a minimum of 12 hours.

For the mop, mix 1 cup reserved marinade with 1 can beer in a bowl. Cook ribs by using the indirect method or a smoker (follow links for directions).

The author recommends smoking these ribs with water soaked, medium sized mesquite chips. That smoky mesquite flavor is the signature of Texas-style barbecue.

Hi, That sounds like a good idea, you have in german a lot of Grill-Caching-Events, you are smarter as us dutch, i think over a month, but i am not sure, so maybe i can pop in a german grill-caching event, i can choose out a lot off events

:) , thanks for the invite tschakko :(

Grilled Shrimp Scampi

1/4 cup light olive oil

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon minced garlic

ground black pepper to taste

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1 1/2 pounds shrimp

In a medium, non-reactive bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Stir in shrimp to coat. Marinate for 30 minutes or less.

Preheat grill for high heat.

Remove shrimp from marinade, and thread onto skewers. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until done.

Grilled Halloumi cheese

Slice Halloumi cheese into 1/2" (1cm) thick slices.

Marinade in olive oil, a little lemon juice, some oregano and basil, and a little bit of cayenne or other "hot" spice for about half an hour.

Place it on the grill, keep an eye on it, the olive oil can make the fire flame up and burn the cheese. Let it lightly toast to a warm tan color and flip and do the other side.

Serve.

I know it sounds weird, but the cheese gets soft, but doesn't melt and the grill gives it a yummy, nutty flavor!

Grilled Zucchini and other veggies.

Use the same marinade that you use for the halloumi cheese, see post 27.

Peel the zucchini or other squash, slice into 1/2" (1cm)thick slices, marinate them for at least half an hour. This works well for mushrooms, tomatos, onions, corn wheels (where you slice corn on the cob into about 1.5" (3cm) thick wheels) and even portabello mushrooms, although with them I tend to also put grill sauce on them and use them as hamburgers when doing a "vegitarian" type grill night!

Keep an eye on them, again, the olive oil can cause flareups and char the veggies.

Let them grill till soft and they have a little color and enjoy!

Naomi.... sitting at work and now hungry!

Grilled fruit

EXTREMELY easy, no real recipe!

Take fruit such as orange, tangerine, pineapple, strawberries, passionfruit, etc. and slice and place on grill over low heat and let them "cook" until they've taken on a bit of color and are warm through.

Cooking the fruit intensifies their natural sweetness. Really nice to eat with your meat and grilled veggies :)

Naomi :(

And lastly, something a little cool, yet with bite, to go with your hot, spicy veggies and meats...

Tzatziki :(

about 2 pints/half a liter of natural yoghurt, drained

1 good sized cucumber

a clove or two of garlic, to taste

a touch of salt and pepper :)

Pour the yoghurt into a coffee filter or something else that you can let it sit for a while to let the excess water drain out.

Peel the cucumber, remove the seedy inside with a spoon, and then grate the rest. place it in a strainer, cover with some salt to draw out the water, and let it drain, too.

You don't want watery tzatziki, and if you don't drain the yoghurt and cucumber, that's what you get.

Peel the clove of garlic and set it aside for now.

After most of the water is drained from the yoghurt, place it in a bowl. Squeeze out the remaining water from the cucumber and add it to the yoghurt. Stir and mix well. Depending on how much you like, this should be slightly spicy, take the garlic and using a garlic press, press in one or two cloves, more if you don't want to be kissed for the rest of the evening :).

Mix well, add a little salt or pepper IF you want, but we rarely do.

This cool side dish is excellent with spicy foods, especially grilled foods, and it's very, very easy to make! Worse, it's addicting, lol!

Naomi ;)

EASY LIME GINGER CHICKEN

a gallon zip plastic bag

lime juice about 2X the amount of oil)

olive oil

a dash of soy sauce

a dash of liquid smoke

ground ginger powder (I never measure - it's about a teaspoon, I'd guess.)

onion powder (about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon, I'd guess)

A boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to about 1/2" thick

Open the bag, put above spices and liquids in, squish around, add chicken, squish to cover the chicken.

Put in the fridge at least 20 minutes, but you get better flavor with a longer marinating time. I generally do this before I go to work and then fire the grill up when I get home.

It doesn't get easier than this. For fancy, I cut big slices of sweet onion and put a dab of olive oil on and grill them, too.

Edited by ATMouse

Our quick, no-nonsense way to bbq potatoes is to cut them up and add in slices of onion. Toss with a bit of oil and your favourite spices (we use garlic alot but anything will work). Wrap in several layers of tinfoil and place on the grill for 30-40 minutes. YUM!

Oh and I just thought of this one. It's for use when you are cooking on a camping grill (I think that qualifies!). We do this recipe when we are going to be hanging out at the campfire for the afternoon and what a different way to use our thawed burgers!

Cut up your favourite veggies (root vegetables work the best as they tend to cook at a similar rate) and place in a aluminum disposable baking pan. Add cut up thawed burgers. Mix in a can of cream soup (I like mushroom but my husband likes celery or asparagus, etc.). Cover whole pan with foil. Wrap in a layer of newspaper. Continue wrapping in foil and newspaper (about three layers each). Make sure the final wrapping is foil and is well covered.

Place package on grill amongst the coals of the fire. Cook all afternoon (rotating every hour) until veggies are cooked -- checking for doneness involves cutting a slit in the top of the package and piercing a vegetable. A bit of a challenge but doable.

Here's my best grilling recipie:

1 package Oscar Meyer hotdogs

Grill

Fire of some sort (It takes a really long time without it)

Start grill. Put hotodgs on grill. Make sure you remove the plastic wrapper first, it just ruins the taste if you don't.

Cook until done, the kids are whining that they are hungry, the hotdogs burn or you get tired of waiting, whichever comes first.

Give the burned or split ones to the kids with lots of ketchup.

Serve with Kool-Aid and watermelon.

The grill is not my best friend! :)

Greek food!!!

Biftekia Skharas: Grilled Beef & Pork Combo Burgers

In Greek: μπιφτέκια σχάρας, pronounced beef-TEHK-yah SKHAH-rahs

A mixture of ground beef and pork makes for fabulous burgers on the grill. This simple and easy recipe calls for parsley and onion and, as usual, these burgers are served with wedges of lemon for those who want the authentic Greek taste. The meat can be made ahead of time and frozen for later use.

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound of ground beef

1 pound of ground pork

1 large onion, minced

2/3 cups of chopped fresh parsley

1/2 cup of dry or toasted breadcrumbs

1 tablespoon of sea salt

1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper

olive oil

3-4 lemons, cut in wedges

Preparation:

Fire up the grill (or turn on broiler).

Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a bowl, and mix by hand until just blended. Do not knead. If the mixture is a little dry, add a little olive oil to moisten.

Form into burgers, round or oval shaped, about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches long.

Brush grate with oil and grill for 15 minutes on each side, until outside is crisp and meat is done all the way through, but not dry. (Because these contain pork, they need to be more well done than beef burgers.)

Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing... the crowning touch!

Yield: about 15 burgers

Notes:

If broiling, set the burgers 7-8 inches under the broiler. They should not cook too quickly or the outside will burn and the inside will still be pink.

The raw burger mixture can be frozen. Thaw before cooking.

Biftekia Yemista: Stuffed Burgers with Feta & Herbs

In Greek: μπιφτέκια γεμιστά, pronounced beef-TEK-yah yeh-mee-STAH

Not quite a burger, not quite a mini-meatloaf, the recipe calls for grilling but they can be cooked on the stovetop as well.

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

2 pounds of lean ground beef

1 medium onion, grated or minced

1 tablespoon of olive oil

2 teaspoons of dried Greek oregano

1 teaspoon of sea salt

1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon of sweet paprika

2 eggs

2 tablespoons of dried breadcrumbs

-------

Stuffing:

1/2 pound of feta cheese, finely diced

1 tablespoon of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

1/4 cup of spring onions, finely chopped

4 cloves of garlic, minced

---------

To serve:

1 cup of strained yogurt

1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, paprika, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Work together by hand until well blended. Form into 12 thin patties.

In a bowl, combine the feta and one third of the parsley, spring onions, and garlic, and stir until well blended.

Mix the remaining herbs and teaspoon of olive oil with the yogurt, cover, and refrigerate.

Place a spoonful of the cheese mixture in the middle of 6 of the meat patties (using it all). Place the remaining 6 patties on top, pinching around the edges to seal well.

Grill the burgers over medium coals for 6-10 minutes per side and serve with the herb yogurt.

Yield: 6 burgers

Alternative cooking method: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or skillet and cook the burgers over medium heat for 6-10 minutes, testing for doneness.

Riganatha: Grilled Bread with Tomatoes, Feta Cheese,

In Greek: ριγανάδα, pronounced ree-ghah-NAH-thah

This is one version of Greek bruschetta and a favorite and easy recipe for a quick snack or accompaniment to drinks. Use homemade crusty country bread, or thick slices of sourdough, french, or italian bread.

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

3/4-inch slices of country style bread

chopped tomatoes

crumbled feta cheese

extra virgin olive oil

dried Greek oregano (rigani)

Preparation:

Note: Quantities depend on the number of people and the size of their appetites. Be creative!

Grill the bread over coals, in the oven, or on a countertop grill until the ridges are clearly defined and the bread is crusty. Brush well with olive oil while hot. Top with enough chopped tomatoes to cover, and add crumbled feta cheese to taste. Sprinkle with oregano, and serve.

Alternatives:

Try adding a slice of grilled eggplant or some Melitzanosalata (eggplant dip) to the mix!

Souvlaki Mosharisio: Grilled Beef Kebabs

In Greek: σουβλάκι μοσχαρίσιο, pronounced soov-LAH-kee mohs-hah-REE-seeyoh

Beef kebabs are not as traditional as kebabs with chicken, pork, or lamb, but they are delicious. The key to this recipe is to start with tender shank meat.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds of beef shank, cut in large cubes

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/4 teaspoon of pepper

1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of Greek oregano (rigani)

1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil

3/4 tablespoon of red wine vinegar

2 medium tomatoes, quartered

1 medium onion, quartered

1 bell pepper, seeded, cut in chunks

3 tablespoons of olive oil

juice of 1 medium lemon

Preparation:

Rinse the pieces of meat thoroughly to remove any debris, and drain for 15 minutes.

Combine the oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the meat with the seasonings, and add oil and vinegar. Use hands to mix and coat all pieces of meat.

Thread skewers (I use 12" metal skewers):

Put a piece of meat on the skewer and slide down to 2 inches from the handle end of the skewer.

Add a vegetable piece, another piece of meat, and continue, alternating vegetable pieces, using a total of 5 pieces of meat on each skewer.

A piece of meat goes on last.

Use the meat to hold the vegetable pieces firmly so they don't fall off during cooking.

Cover and refrigerate skewers for at least one hour before cooking. (They can be marinated as long as 24 hours before cooking.)

Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice and brush the skewers just before cooking.

Grill to taste over hot coals (or on indoor grill) and brush with oil and lemon mixture a couple of times while cooking.

Serve with remaining oil and lemon mixture on the side. Yield: 7-8 skewers

Riganatha: Grilled Bread with Tomatoes, Feta Cheese,

In Greek: ριγανάδα, pronounced ree-ghah-NAH-thah

This is one version of Greek bruschetta and a favorite and easy recipe for a quick snack or accompaniment to drinks. Use homemade crusty country bread, or thick slices of sourdough, french, or italian bread.

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

3/4-inch slices of country style bread

chopped tomatoes

crumbled feta cheese

extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:

Note: Quantities depend on the number of people and the size of their appetites. Be creative!

Grill the bread over coals, in the oven, or on a countertop grill until the ridges are clearly defined and the bread is crusty. Brush well with olive oil while hot. Top with enough chopped tomatoes to cover, and add crumbled feta cheese to taste. Sprinkle with oregano, and serve.

Alternatives:

Try adding a slice of grilled eggplant or some Melitzanosalata (eggplant dip) to the mix!

I forgot to put the oregano in the label! :) So, the label for this is:

Riganatha: Grilled Bread with Tomatoes, Feta Cheese, and oregano! :(

Feta Skharas: Grilled Feta Cheese

In Greek: φέτα σχάρας, pronounced FEH-tah SKHAH-rahs

Creativity is the word here. Feta cheese is so versatile and can be combined with many different herbs and vegetables. This is a basic recipe for grilled feta cheese.

Ingredients:

feta cheese, 1/2 inch slices

grated tomato

slices of pepper (hot or mild)

crushed Greek oregano (rigani)

olive oil

Preparation:

Wrap a slice of feta topped with chopped tomatoes, slices of hot or mild pepper, a sprinkling of Greek oregano, and a couple of drops of olive oil in foil and place on the grill next to your favorite meat, fish, or veggies.

This can also be roasted in the oven at 375F for 15-20 minutes or - without the foil - heated in the microwave on high for 1 minute.

Melitzana Skharas: Grilled Eggplant Bowls

In Greek: μελιτζάνα σχάρας, pronounced meh-leed-ZAH-nah SKHAH-rahs

The taste of eggplant cooked on the grill just can't be matched, and this recipe creates a simple and delicious bowl-shaped dish to serve as an appetizer, side dish, or main dish combined with other grilled veggies. And go on... eat the bowl. Crisp grilled eggplant skin is quite tasty.

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant (for two people)

2 tablespoons (or more) extra virgin Greek olive oil

sea salt

freshly ground pepper

----------

Optional additional seasonings:

Ground cumin

Garlic clove cut in half

Preparation:

Rinse eggplant. Remove leaves and stem and wipe to clean and dry.

Cut the eggplant in half from the top (stem) to bottom. Score through the pulp several times almost all the way through, taking care not to cut through the skin.

Pour or rub 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil on each half (pulp side) and sprinkle with seasonings to taste. (If using garlic, rub the pulp with garlic before adding oil and other seasonings.)

Place on a hot grill, cut side down and cook until the skin turns completely brown/black. Turn halves onto the skin side and continue to grill until the juices bubble up. On a closed grill, placed about 6 inches above the coals, it will take approximately 15 minutes to a side. On an open grill, place closer to the coals and it may take longer.

Note: The juices will start to steam and the eggplant pulp will expand and contract as the juices boil internally. Wait until the juices bubble up out the top before removing from the grill.

Serve hot, to be eaten with or without the skin.

Psari sta Karvouna: Grilled Fish

In Greek: ψάρι στα κάρβουνα, pronounced PSAH-ree stah KAR-voo-nah

Greece has always been famous for its seafood, and for the simplicity of recipes that showcase the natural taste, rather than mask it. Grilled fish is a favorite all over the country and a specialty of the islands and coastal areas.

Favorite fish (and seafood) for grilling

Bonito

Dentex

Eel

Grouper

John Dory

Mackerel

Octopus

Parrotfish

Pike

Prawns

Red Mullet

Sea Bass

Sea Bream

Snapper

Swordfish

Trout (a specialty in Northern Greece)

In recent years, tuna and mahi-mahi have become popular for grilling as well.

Recipe

The most authentic recipe for any of these fish is very simple:

Ingredients

olive oil

lemon juice

salt

Greek oregano (rigani) or thyme, crushed

thin lemon slices (for whole fish grilled in foil)

If using small to medium whole fish, scrape off scales and carefully slice into stomach cavity to remove intestines (leave head intact if possible). Rinse well and pat dry. (For large fish, leave the scales on to protect from burning as they need longer cooking time. Remove skin before eating.)

Fire up the grill.

Lightly salt the interior and exterior of whole fish, or both sides of fish steaks. Set in a colander over a bowl and refrigerate until the grill is ready.

Brush fish with olive oil and lemon juice, and sprinkle with coarsely ground oregano or thyme.

Brush the grid or grill with olive oil to prevent sticking, and grill the fish (using a hand-held grid makes turning easier), turning often to grill evenly on both sides.

Alternatively, fish can be wrapped in foil and grilled. For whole fish, insert a thin slice of lemon in each of the gill openings. If head has been removed, insert slices in the stomach cavity. Wrap loosely in foil, and grill.

Cooking time:

Fish steaks: 1-inch steaks generally need 4-5 minutes per side.

Whole fish: Depends on the size. Cook until flesh is firm and just ready to flake.

Serve with:

latholemono (oil and lemon) sauce or

lemon wedges on the side.

I have to say that I haven't try that!!! I have no idea if it is good or not!!!

Stafylia sti Skhara: Grilled Grapes

In Greek: σταφύλια στη σχάρα, pronounced stah-FEEL-yah stih SKHAH-rah

Use grapes to your preference: red with meat? white with fish? There's no right or wrong with this quick and easy decorative (and delicious) touch to other grilled foods.

Cook Time: 8 minutes

Ingredients:

1 small cluster of seedless grapes per person

olive oil

Preparation:

For each cluster of grapes, use 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.

In a mixing bowl, toss grapes gently with olive oil.

Grill on a medium-high covered grill for 3-4 minutes.

Ted Christou's Spit-Roasted Whole Stuffed Lamb

Ted Christou is a Greek American who has made a spit-roasted whole lamb at Easter for the past 20 years. His recipe for a whole lamb stuffed with an herb and wine filling produces a fabulous result and an impressive centerpiece for the Greek Easter celebration.

The spit apparatus is called an ovelia (οβελία), say: oh-veh-LEE-yah.

Ingredients:

THE BASICS

1 whole lamb, dressed (about 24-30 pounds)

3 bags charcoal plus 1-2 bags hard wood

LAMB PREP

10 lemons

4 heads of garlic, 2 heads peeled and slivered

2 cups of olive (or more, if needed)

1 bottle of red wine (plus more for basting sauce - see directions)

1 bottle of balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing

sea salt

freshly ground pepper

fresh flat-leaf parsley

fresh and dried basil

fresh rosemary

about 2 loaves of white bread

OTHER

twine

Preparation:

Juice all lemons but one and pour into bowl and set aside.

Skewer and secure lamb.

Slice a lemon in half and rub lamb with lemon inside and out. Then rub with olive oil.

Shake sea salt, pepper, oregano, dried basil, and chopped parsley over wet lamb.

Insert slivered garlic deep into meat by making incisions in all meaty areas.

Fill lamb with white bread, rosemary sprigs, fresh basil and parsley, 2-3 lemon rinds and then pour in 1 bottle of wine. Close belly with twine.

Wash hands before making the basting sauce.

Basting sauce:

In food processor mix garlic, fresh basil, parsley, rosemary, and lemon juice. Add mixture to 50% wine and 50% olive oil. Then add 1 bottle of balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing.

Roasting:

Light coals and distribute so there are two piles on either side of the lamb at the level of the shoulders and legs.

Cook at the lowest level for 1 hour then begin basting every 15 min.

Add charcoal to keep coal temp at about 8 sec ALWAYS less than 10 sec. (hold hand over fire at the level of the spit and count 1 one thousand 2 one thousand, etc.)

Add hardwoods to keep a steady stream of smoke over the 4-5 hours of roasting time.

Set the spit at highest level or remove when leg/shoulder temp is 145° and while the meat sets trim some skin and enjoy!!!

Notes from Ted Christou

"The lamb is between 24 to 30 lbs depending on the size of the party and we feed 25 to 30 people with the usual Greek pile of leftovers. Two loaves of white bread is enough to soak up the fat and allow the wine to steam the meat from the inside."

Arni sti Souvla: Whole Spit-Roasted Lamb

In Greek: αρνί στη σούβλα, pronounced ahr-NEE stee SOOV-lah

At Easter in Greece - and on other special occasions - the air is filled with the smell of lamb or kid roasting on spits. Some are modern motorized rotisseries, requiring little supervision, and others are turned by hand for hours, with family and friends taking turns, all the while enjoying the camaraderie of the day. This recipe is for lamb on a spit, cooked over wood or hardwood charcoal.

(Larger photo)

Ingredients:

1 whole lamb, dressed

aromatic wood (olive, oak, apple, cherry), or hardwood charcoal

olive oil

lemon juice

sea salt

pepper

crushed Greek oregano (rigani)

crushed garlic (optional)

Preparation:

Tip: According to local experts, the best size lamb for spit roasting is generally around 22-25 pounds (10-11 kilos). Cooking time is 3-5 hours.)

Start the fire about 2 hours before cooking.

The spit should be at least 20 inches longer than the lamb (10 inches or more to extend out each side).

Sprinkle the inside of the lamb liberally with salt and pepper and rub in. Lay the lamb on a flat surface and pass the spit between the hind legs, through the stomach cavity and out through the mouth. The lamb's spine should be straight along the line of the spit. Tie the front and hind legs to the spit. Tie the middle of the lamb to the spit or clamp along the spine. (For a larger lamb, tie in two places: behind the front legs and at the top of the hind leg. Sew the stomach cavity closed with butcher's twine or aluminum wire (use a pliers). The lamb should be tied securely and not slip when turned.

With hands rub the entire lamb with lemon juice and oregano.

Place the spit over the fire and spread the coals so they are under the shoulder and thigh (thickest parts). A drip pan can be set under the middle of the animal to catch the juices.

Keep olive oil at hand with a paint brush.

At the beginning, the lamb needs to be turned quickly in order not to burn. Once the fire settles and the lamb is golden all around and starting to crisp, turning can slow, to approximately 1/4 turn every 15 minutes. Replenish wood or charcoal as needed. Brush occasionally with the oil.

Cooking time will depend on the size of the lamb. The skin on the legs and chest of the lamb will crisp and crack open. The color should be a deep brown.

Testing for doneness: With a meat thermometer, internal temperature at the thickest part should be 155°F for medium. If you don't have a meat thermometer, stick a knife or skewer into the thigh (thickest part). The juice should run clear.

Lift the spit with the lamb and place on carving surface. Remove wire, ties, clamps, or straps, and carve.

Piperies me Tyri: Spicy Stuffed Peppers with Feta

In Greek: πιπεριές με τυρί, pronounced pee-peh-reeYES meh tee-REE

This recipe is a specialty in the shadows of Mount Olympos, where it is served as a meze with a locally made spirit. Serve it as an appetizer, meze, or side dish. The recipe calls for bull's horn peppers (long and tapered, light green in color, sweet), hot red peppers, and feta cheese The recipe is quick and easy.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

18-20 bull's horn peppers

1 1/3 pounds of feta cheese

4 heaping tablespoons of finely chopped parsley

2 small hot peppers (of your choice), finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of pepper

bread

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 390F (200C).

Cut a cap off the tops of peppers, and scoop out seeds, taking care not to break or tear the pepper. In a bowl, mash the feta with a fork until soft. Add oil, parsley, hot peppers, salt, and pepper and mix until very well combined.

Using a small spoon, stuff the cheese mixture into the peppers (pressing down with the handle of the spoon to completely fill) to 1/2 inch from the top. Press a small piece of bread into the pepper to keep the cheese filling from melting out during cooking. Place the caps back on each pepper.

Lay the peppers in a lightly greased or nonstick baking pan and roast for 20 minutes or until they soften in a 390F (200C) preheated oven.

Alternative: These peppers stuffed with feta cheese can also be cooked on the grill. Make sure the bread is firmly in place so the cheese doesn't melt out.

Piperies Psites: Roasted Red Peppers

In Greek: πιπεριές ψητές, pronounced pee-peh-ree-YES psee-TESS

Sweet pimiento peppers from Florina (in the Greek region of Macedonia) are so famous, they're called Florina peppers. You'll love the depth of flavor that roasting gives to these peppers.

In addition to the tradtional serving suggestion below, try blending or finely chopping and combine with olive oil and roasted garlic to make a spread for toast or bruschetta.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hours,

Ingredients:

2 pounds of pimiento peppers (sweet, long red)

sea salt

extra virgin olive oil

red wine vinegar

Greek oregano (optional)

basil (optional)

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 340°F (170°C).

Wash and dry peppers, place on a roasting pan and cook for 1 hour. Carefully remove the skin while hot, slice open on one side and remove the seeds and cut out the stem.

Serve at room temperature sprinkled with salt (oregano and basil if desired) and drizzled with olive oil and vinegar.

Souvlaki: Grilled Kebabs with Chicken, Lamb, Pork and Vegetables

In Greek: σουβλάκι, pronounced soov-LAH-kee

This recipe is for larger skewers of chicken, pork, and lamb, with vegetables. The meat can be cut into smaller pieces for small skewers, to make pita wraps. These larger colorful skewers are a great choice for family cookouts or outdoor parties. They are easy to make and delicious to eat.

Ingredients:

2 1/5 pounds of boned chicken breasts, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks

2 1/5 pounds of pork butt, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks

2 1/5 pounds of boned leg of lamb, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks

3 tablespoons of Greek oregano (rigani)

3 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of pepper

6 tablespoons of olive oil

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

sweet red pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut in chunks

green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut in chunks

white onion, cut in wedges

tomato, cut in wedges (or cherry tomatoes, cut in half)

juice of 1 lemon

Preparation:

Rinse the pieces of meat thoroughly (separately) to remove any debris, and drain for 15 minutes.

Combine the oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Transfer the meat to separate bowls. Sprinkle the meat with the seasonings (the pork needs a little more than the chicken and lamb). Add 2 tablespoons of oil to each bowl of meat, and 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar to the pork. Use hands to mix and coat all pieces of meat.

Thread skewers - one type of meat on each skewer (I use 12" metal skewers):

Put two pieces of meat on the skewer and slide down to 2 inches from the handle end of the skewer.

Add a vegetable piece, another piece of meat, and continue, alternating vegetable pieces, until within 2 inches of the end of the skewer.

A piece of meat goes on last.

Use the meat to hold the vegetable pieces firmly so they don't fall off during cooking.

Cover and refrigerate skewers for at least one hour before cooking. (They can be marinated as long as 24 hours before cooking.)

Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice and brush the skewers just before cooking.

Grill over medium coals and brush with oil and lemon mixture a couple of times while cooking. The chicken will cook the fastest, then the lamb, and the pork will take the longest to cook thoroughly.

Serve with any remaining oil and lemon mixture on the side.

Yield: serves 8-10

Kotopoulo sta Karvouna: Grilled Thyme Chicken

In Greek: κοτόπουλο στα κάρβουνα, pronounced koh-TOH-poo-loh stah KAR-voo-nah

This is a delicious and easy recipe for chicken on the grill, in the fireplace, or under the broiler. It can be made with a whole cut-up chicken, or just the parts of your choice. Here it's made with chicken thighs and legs.

Prep Time: 40 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

4 chicken legs and thighs (cut or whole) or other parts of the chicken of your choice

1 1/2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/4 teaspoons of dried thyme

2 cloves of garlic, grated

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

1 teaspoon of sea salt

Preparation:

Combine thyme, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt in a small bowl and mix well.

Place chicken in a pan and spoon the mixture over, then use hands or basting brush to coat the chicken, top and bottom.

Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 or 3 hours.

Brush grill or grate with olive oil and grill over high heat for about 9-10 minutes on each side for cutup parts, about 15 minutes each side for whole quarters. If there's any marinade left in the pan, brush over chicken while grilling.

Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.

Xifias Souvlaki: Grilled Swordfish Kebabs with Vegetables

In Greek: ξιφίας σουβλάκι, pronounced ksee-FEE-ahs soov-LAH-kee

Grilled kebabs (souvlaki) are a favorite cooked over the coals, but also work well under the broiler. Fresh swordfish is a delight if you can find it; otherwise, frozen swordfish steaks (usually sold 1-inch thick) are a good alternative. The addition of bay leaves to the skewers (bamboo skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes work well with this recipe) is a Greek favorite.

Cook Time: 9 minutes

Ingredients:

FOR SKEWERS

1 1/2 pounds of swordfish, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes

cherry tomatoes (equal to number of swordfish pieces)

bay leaves (large - break in half; small use whole - equal in number to swordfish pieces)

1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut in square pieces (or small wedges of lemon)

----------------

FOR MARINADE

1/2 cup of olive oil

1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 bay leaf, crushed

1 teaspoon of sea salt

1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

2 tablespoons of minced garlic

Preparation:

Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice until thick and creamy. Whisk in remaining marinade ingredients.

Place swordfish cubes in a plastic bag and pour in marinade. Seal bag and turn several times until the fish is well coated. Marinate outside the refrigerator for 1/2 hour, or refrigerated for 2-3 hours, turning the bag occasionally.

If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes.

To make skewers (bamboo or metal), use in this order:

piece of swordfish

bay leaf (or half a large leaf)

cherry tomato

piece of pepper or lemon

Each 11-inch skewer should accommodate 3 series.

Grill over hot coals for 8-9 minutes, turning to cook evenly. Swordfish is done when juices bubble up, looking like white curds.

Yield: serves 4

Serving suggestion: Swordfish is a pretty mild-tasting fish and goes extremely well with sharp-tasting condiments. Try swordfish souvlaki with black olive tapenade or garlicky Eggplant Dip with Walnuts for some unique taste sensations.

Skewer tip for cherry tomatoes: Pierce the tomato from "stem to stern" starting where the vine joined the tomato and going through to the bottom. This helps avoid bursting the tomato skin before cooking.

No grill? Preheat the broiler. Place skewers on a foil-lined pan and cook as above, turning to cook evenly.

I haven't try that too! So...

Lahanika Skharas: Grilled Vegetables on Skewers

In Greek: λαχανικά σχάρας, pronounced lah-HAH-nee-kah SKHAH-rahs

A simple matter of sliding pieces of your favorite vegetables onto skewers turns into a fabulous side dish for other grilled foods (or, add more vegetables and make it a complete meal).

Ingredients:

For 2 skewers per person:

----------

2 medium tomatoes

1 zucchini (Italian squash)

1 yellow crookneck squash

1 medium red onion

sea salt

freshly ground black pepper

1-2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/4 cup of olive oil

4 wooden or metal skewers

Preparation:

Wash all vegetables and trim stems and ends.

Cut tomatoes into quarters.

Cut zucchini and squash into 3/4 inch rings.

Cut onion into quarters.

Thread vegetables onto skewers, alternating vegetables. Combine olive oil and garlic in a small bowl and brush vegetables. Sprinkle with seasonings and grill over medium coals until done to taste. Brush with remaining olive oil/garlic mixture during grilling.

Notes:

Other favorites for grilling include bell peppers and mushrooms.

These skewers are pretty to look at, but because some of the vegetables cook more quickly than others, they can be made on individual skewers and later, combined at the table.

Brizoles Mosharisies sta Karvouna: Grilled Ribeye Steaks

In Greek: μπριζόλες μοσχαρίσιες, pronounced bree-ZO-les mos-hah-REE-seeyes (singular: brizola, plural: brizoles)

In Greece, butchers use the French style of cutting meat, and ribeyes are cut with the bone in, but boneless ribeyes work equally well. The recipe calls for a traditional beef marinade, and an oil and lemon basting sauce. Whether cooked on the grill or grilled in the oven, this is an easy and delicious dish.

Ingredients:

4 ribeye steaks

1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon of Greek oregano (rigani)

1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil

3/4 tablespoon of red wine

----------

FOR BASTING

juice of 1 medium lemon (or 1 teaspoon of lemon zest)

----------

ON THE SIDE

lemon wedges

Preparation:

Combine salt, pepper, and oregano in a small bowl. Whisk together the oil and wine and add to spices. Rub steaks on both sides with the mixture and place in a single layer in a shallow pan. Cover and marinate for at least one hour before cooking. (Steaks can be covered and marinated for up to 24 hours.)

Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice or zest and brush the steaks just before cooking.

Grill to taste over hot coals (or on indoor grill) and brush with oil and lemon mixture a couple of times while cooking.

Serve with lemon wedges on the side.

Yield: serves 4

Recipe Update

"Site visitor George Kasolas wrote in to remind us that red (drinking, never cooking) wine and lemon zest are better choices for the marinade and basting sauce than red wine vinegar and lemon juice since they minimize acid which tends to toughen the meat." Nancy Gaifyllia, Your Guide to Greek Food

Souvlaki Hoirino: Grilled Pork Souvlaki

In Greek: σουβλάκι χοιρινό, pronounced soov-LAH-kee hee-ree-NO

These grilled morsels of pork are so popular that I always figure on a little more than 3/4 of a pound of meat per person as a main dish. It's an easy dish to prepare, and serving on the skewers adds an authentic touch.

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds of pork shoulder, cut in 3/4 inch cubes

1 teaspoon of ground Greek oregano (rigani)

1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon of sea salt

2 tablespoons of red wine (or good red wine vinegar)

2 tablespoons of olive oil

Preparation:

In a bowl, pour wine (or vinegar) and oil over the pork and toss to coat. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and oregano, and toss again. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Note: If using vinegar, do not marinate longer than 2 hours or the meat can absorb too strong a vinegar taste. If using wine, the meat can be marinated for up to 2 days as long as salt is also used.

Using 8 inch skewers, thread approximately 6 pieces of meat on each. This should make about 12 skewers.

Grill the meat turning until well browned, about 15 minutes. Serve on the skewers with a squeeze of lemon.

Note: If using a gas grill, use wooden skewers. If using a charcoal grill, use metal skewers. If broiling in the oven, use either, but wooden skewers should be soaked in water for several minutes before using.

Yield: serves 3 (4 skewers per person) as a main dish.

As a meze: To prepare this recipe as a meze, use smaller skewers (5-6 inches long) and put 3-4 pieces of meat on each to make approximately 20 skewers.

Taste tip: If you have the spice sumac in your cabinet, rub a little on the meat before adding marinade ingredients.

Biftekia Hoirina: Grilled Pork Burgers

In Greek: μπιφτέκια χοιρινά, pronounced beef-TEH-keeyah hee-ree-NAH

Before the "mad cow" scare, Bobby Bounakis made his burgers with a combination of ground beef and pork; then he changed the recipe. The new recipe, using just the ground pork, was so fabulous, he left it alone and has become famous in my little village and surrounding areas.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of ground pork shank or butt (ground 1 time)

1/2 cup of fresh chopped parsley

1/4 cup of plain toasted breadcrumbs

1 teaspoon of sea salt

1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

1 medium onion, very finely minced (or chop in the blender for until finely chopped but not pulped)

olive oil

2 lemons, cut in wedges (garnish)

Preparation:

Fire up the grill (or turn on broiler).

Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a bowl, and mix by hand until just blended. Do not knead. If the mixture is a little dry, add a little olive oil to moisten.

Form into burgers, round or oval shaped, about 1/2 inch thick.

Brush grate with oil and grill for 15 minutes on each side, until outside is crisp and meat is done all the way through, but not dry.

Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing... the crowning touch!

Yield: about 10 burgers

Notes:

If broiling, set the burgers 7-8 inches under the broiler. They should not cook too quickly or the outside will burn and the inside will still be pink.

The raw burger mixture can be frozen. Thaw before cooking.