CONTAINERS / MAGNETS / mint tins - bison

Hi everyone,

Please share your valuable knowledge

Please post information on cache containers and magnets.

Do you just use containers that you purchase with a product like ALTOIDS?

Do you have any suppliers of Containers (discount or wholesale)

Do you have any suppliers of Magnets (discount or wholesale)

Please share your Container/Magnet knowledge

Have you found the ultimate place to purchase Containers and Magnets?

Oh, and what type of glue is best used to attach magnets to containers?

Thanks, Bigmouth/John

I tried to use Gorilla Glue last week to glue magnets to plastic small lock n lok containers, it failed in flex. Most seem to use good quality duct tape as the best magnet holder. Altoid tins stink. Magnetic key cases must be protected from elements . I am planning to use a whole bunch soon , so I to have been looking around. Found something called Bulldog Clips at office supply, which may be adaptable.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaCKKK..... PUH-lease. If I have to break another bike tire tool and dent my frame pump up beating the you-know-what out of a rotted, rusty Altoids can just so I can open it and find a gooey, rusty, puddle of slime that used to be the log sheet I think I'll.... :) Altoids cans are good for Altoids but unlessl it's somewhere 100% out of the weather and humidity I'd avoid them.

#1 micro container IMHO is the 86-cent waterproof match containers at Wally World. Paint 'em camo green and they're ready to go and handle anything short of a controlled burn :mad:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaCKKK..... PUH-lease. If I have to break another bike tire tool and dent my frame pump up beating the you-know-what out of a rotted, rusty Altoids can just so I can open it and find a gooey, rusty, puddle of slime that used to be the log sheet I think I'll.... :) Altoids cans are good for Altoids but unlessl it's somewhere 100% out of the weather and humidity I'd avoid them.

#1 micro container IMHO is the 86-cent waterproof match containers at Wally World. Paint 'em camo green and they're ready to go and handle anything short of a controlled burn :mad:

So you really like those Altoids containers, eh? In the Great Pacific North Wet "waterproof" match containers usually have damp/wet/dissolved logs in them after one of our fabulous winters. Water resistant might be a better way to describe them.

Here you go: magnets for geocache containers.

Scroll about halfway down and you'll find magnets about the size of a penny that can accept a small bolt and has a countersink for the head. I put about 10 of these on an ammo can and they're more than strong enough.

Just drill a hole in whatever you're using for a container, put some Goop (at Walmart) in the hole, attach magnet, secure with bolt and nut, and add another layer of Goop over the top of the magnet when you're done. Once it dries the outer layer of Goop will keep the magnet from smashing too hard into whatever it's being stuck to, which might break the magnet, and the inner layer will keep the container water tight.

Hi everyone,

Please share your valuable knowledge

Please post information on cache containers and magnets.

Do you have any suppliers of Containers (discount or wholesale)

Do you have any suppliers of Magnets (discount or wholesale)

Please share your Container/Magnet knowledge

Have you found the ultimate place to purchase Containers and Magnets?

Oh, and what type of glue is best used to attach magnets to containers?

Thanks, Bigmouth/John

One of the better places I've found for magnets is: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Hobby Lobby for magnets (wait until they are the special of the week).

For anything smaller than an ammo can but larger than a match case, I like the screw-lid ziplock containers. The screw-top lid makes them much closer to water-tight than conventional "tupperware" containers and they cost much less than lock-n-locks (which I often find with broken clasps).

EDIT: I really like good old silicone caulk.

Edited by Castle Mischief

As far as Altoids tins go, there's this thread. If you read far enough down, you can read about my attempt to waterproof a tin. One of my posts leading up to the experiment:

I just happen to have an Altoids tin sitting on my desk. Decided to take a look at it when I read this thread.

After putting the mints safely out of the way, I took a look at the hinge assembly. If the holes punched out to form the "body" side of the hinge (that is, not the lid) could be sealed from the inside without impeding the hinge you'd be halfway there. A bit of rubber gasket cut to fit the inside of the lid would seal the container when the lid is closed. If you really really really wanted a waterproof Altoids container you could do this and I suspect as long as you didn't screw up it'd be more waterproof than a Kodak film canister.

As I put the mints back into the can, guess what I see on the side of it? A big old patch of rust! :o This is a tin that hasn't been outside since I brought it in from the store. I guess the last stage of my plan would be sealing the whole thing with Rustoleum or the like.

At least then it won't rust on my desk.

As far as i am concerned when it comes to a micro the preform is the most unbeatable with waterproofing as long as they can screw a lid back on. http://www.teachersource.com/Chemistry/Pre...dCaps_30pk.aspx

But they are hard to get a magnet on. I found my first one the other day and it was dry but the log was not very easy to get out. The logs are always easy to get out of an Altoids tin even being wet :D

I had an Altoids tin (BOO HISS) that I gorilla glued a strong magnet to and it lasted for about 9 finds before the glue gave way. I have another to replace it with that I glued on the inside which is a better design as someone else stated I should have read this before :D

The tin is hidden on the bottom of a solid metal table with a lip that is deeper than the tin and should not get wet, time will tell how long it will last, I also put the log in a baggie.

#1 micro container IMHO is the 86-cent waterproof match containers at Wally World. Paint 'em camo green and they're ready to go and handle anything short of a controlled burn :D

I used to agree with you 100%... until I found these:

18beb618-54f4-4ad3-99fd-dd67e2bd3f27.jpg

Liquid Protien tubes... are great nutrients for hikers (less digestion needed)... then recycle into caches (cheaper - without camo tape)!

They are stronger, seal better and you can fit a couple pens in them.

They wouldn't be good urban micros, but they are great to throw in the pack and hide while hiking.

Edited by cirrus142