? and mutli: Solve on site vs Solve anytime

Cache N' Wolf

When I have time to work on puzzle caches it would be nice to know quickly which ones I can do at that time vs. which ones I would have to go to the location to solve. Is there a way to make the ? and multi-points more descriptive so we can sort by one that are on site vs ones I can do when ever I have free time no matter where I'm at.

Thanks.

Cache n' Wolf

I would like to see it also. I think a lot of people ignore ? caches out of hand because the assumption is it involves some math-intensive puzzle you need to sit at your computer to solve. These same people might feel differently about in-the-field puzzles.

My in-the-field puzzle basically required interpreting GPS track logs. It still might not be for everyone, but I don't think this is what most ?-ignorers are trying to avoid.

A better case could be made if someone had an estimate of the percentage unknown caches that are solvable "in the field" or "on site."

In my area, we see a lot of code-cracking-type caches where you'd solve it ahead of time (the one unknown cache that I own is this way).

But if there were a relatively high percentage of those that don't need "desk time" to figure out, it seems like an obvious improvement since ? is a bit of a cache catch-all........

Seems to me like this should be the distinction for Multi-caches.

An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.

Isn't this similar to most solve-in-the-field puzzles?

A quick review of the cache page should reveal which type of cache it is. (you ARE reading the cache pages...RIGHT?)

If it's a solve-in-the-field, then you need to go to the start to begin.

If it's a solve-at-home, I would bookmark it in a list (Puzzles to solve), and then ignore it (until I solved it) so the unsolved bogus waypoint won't show up in my PQ or on my GPSr/laptop screen.

A quick review of the cache page should reveal which type of cache it is. (you ARE reading the cache pages...RIGHT?)

Duh! Yup! Read the cache pages, and know what I'm up against. How simple a solution is that! Well, except for the mystery cache that had a second mystery at the first stage. Found the cache. Never did solve the second puzzle. :)

I keep the "?" caches in a separate database in GSAK. I go through the caches and if it is the sort of cache that requires me to go to the posted coordinates or do other "field work" I put a checkmark in the User Flag box. If it is a "anytime" type puzzle I'll check the box once I have solved the coordinates.

Anything that doesn't have a checkmark is a puzzle I can work on as time permits. Anything with a checkmark is ready for action and gets downloaded to the GPSr.

When I have time to work on puzzle caches it would be nice to know quickly which ones I can do at that time vs. which ones I would have to go to the location to solve. Is there a way to make the ? and multi-points more descriptive so we can sort by one that are on site vs ones I can do when ever I have free time no matter where I'm at.

Thanks.

Cache n' Wolf

I requested the same thing on a different thread. It would be nice if ALRs could be separated from puzzles. Right now most people ignore mystery caches.

Thanks.

Cache n' Wolf

I requested the same thing on a different thread. It would be nice if ALRs could be separated from puzzles. Right now most people ignore mystery caches.

I have ignored plenty, but not until I have read the cache page to see if I have a chance in a million of solving it. Some of the puzzles that must be pre-solved only take 10 minutes of effort, but still you must do them at home.

Failing a new cache what about an attribute -

This cache requires some work at home to finish / solve it

A picture of a person scratching thier head would do.

Interesting idea - I still think "solve on site" counts as a multi.

I have always thought that when it comes to 'people deciding' what kind of cache they are planting then it's really up to you to be sure that your definition matches theirs.

Just how many Multi caches are really puzzles of the kind where you go to a site and find signs and information to find the final? My multi stats would be way up there if I didn't mostly ignore multi's for the arkane reason of most of the multi's that I have done are really hard, about the work of doing 4 or 5 traditional micro's.

I don't think splitting up puzzle caches into work-at-home and go-to-the-field will work very well. What about the ones that require you to go to the field and then do at-home work? Where would they fall? Caches that require multiple disciplines and angles of attack can't be individualized without having a bunch of different pigeonholes.

Leave the ones where to you to the start at the listed coordinates as multis and the ones where you have to figure out the start as puzzles. Call them "mysteries" if you like. Add a puzzle attribute for caches where you have to figure something out.

Thanks.

Cache n' Wolf

Isn't that the purpose of a mystery or puzzle cache? To figure out when, where, and what is needed to solve it?